Kerala, popularly known and believed as God's Own Country, is an ideal destination for business traveler as well as holidaymaker. One of the most sought after tourist destinations in Asia, Kerala is India's only tropical paradise. The state is blessed with myriad features like dense tropical forests, beautiful beaches, cliffs, rocky coasts, an intricate maze of backwaters, still bays and astounding 44 radiant rivers. One such mesmerizing place in Kerala is Kannur, the sea coast town in northern Malabar area.
The most delightful district of Northern Kerala, Kannur has sugary beaches laced with rows of green coconut palms whose sands are washed by the Lakshadweep Sea. For several centuries Kannur was the capital of the Kolathiri Rajas. In the 15th century, the Portuguese arrived in Kannur to establish one of their earliest settlements.
Formerly a major port area, Kannur is now a city known for its handloom and beedi industries. The district is blessed with a plethora of rivers, of which Valapattanam River is the longest. Kannur also has extensive reserve forests and vested forests.
Tourist attractions in Kannur
Some of the famous tourist attractions in Kannur are -
- Aaralam Wildlife Sanctuary: A soothing little sanctuary on the slopes of the Western Ghats with a variety of flora and fauna.
- Dharmadam Island: This small 5-acre island is a picturesque beach located 17 km from Kannur.
- Madayi Mosque: This beautiful ancient mosque was built in 1124 by Malik Ibn Dinar.
- Moppila Bay: This famous modern fishing harbor is situated near the St. Angelo's Fort.
- St. Angelo's Fort: Also known as Kannur Kotta, this fort was constructed in 1505 AD by Don Francisco De Almeida.
- Arakkal Palace: Located about 2 km from Kannur, this was the palace of the Beebi (Queen) of Arakkal.
- Festivals: The colorful Jagannatha Festival, Vishuvilakkutsavam - the eight-day annual festival at Palotukavu temple, Parassinikkadavu Festival, etc are some of the famous festivals in Kannur.
- Excursions: You can go on excursions from Kannur to places like the Ezhimala Mountain and Beach, Gundert Bunglow, Muzhappilangad Beach, Payyambalam Beach, Pythal Mala, Thalassery Fort, Kizhunna Beach, Pazhassi Gardens & Dam etc.