You are not physically designed to fly, but you can when you are in God’s Own Country!
Who said flying is reserved for birds and angels? When you are in God’s Own Country, everything is supposedly favored by God. Keep this faith in your heart and mind, break the bond of gravity, and allow your eyes to cherish the lushness of Kerala as though you are a supernatural being. Counteract gravity like birds and also fly without wings! Wondering how? This is our job to tell; you just scroll on!
Above the world, so high in the cloud-piercing heights, paragliding in Kerala is the best way to upgrade your flying experience in the air at the high sea level to hang out with birds. This type of flying is safe to cherish in the Western Ghats regions – Munnar and Vagamon and at the Arabian Coastline of Varkala. Till now, you might not have paid attention to paragliding in Kerala, but now it’s high time you should give a mileage to this unwatched outdoor adventure in Kerala.
3 Best Places for Paragliding In Kerala For A Cool Airborne Experience
|Places to Visit in Kerala for Paragliding||Distance from the Nearby Airport||Distance from the Nearby Railway Station|
|Munnar||Cochin International Airport, 108 kilometers/3 hours (approx.)||Ernakulam Junction, 125 kilometers/4 hours (approx.)|
|Vagamon||Cochin International Airport, 96 kilometers/3 hours (approx.)||Kottayam Railway Station, 64 kilometers /2 hours 20 minutes|
|Varkala||Trivandrum International Airport, 42 kilometers/1 hours (approx.)||Varkala Railway Station, 4 kilometers /8 minutes|
1. Munnar – Talk with birds and admire the lush greenery beneath your feet
- Munnar Paragliding Timings: 10 AM – 4 PM (approx.) and subject to weather change
- Paragliding in Munnar Cost: ₹ 3,000 (approx.) onwards per person
- Duration of Paragliding in Munnar: 15 – 20 minutes (approx.)
Exploring the lushes tea estates of Munnar via foot may sound a good idea. But it is less addictive than beholding the beauty of Munnar tea while brazing up in the sky. So switch your mind to explore Munnar in a new way and cruise over the rainbow clouds above the converted tea bungalows, green meadows, and waterfalls.
Grip yourself by the remarkable feeling of paragliding in Munnar at an average elevation of 1,600 m (approx.) from sea level. Hook the beauty of Munnar in an all-new way, let the lush greenery below your feet, and return home with a memory of competing with gravity for a few minutes.
- Paragliding in Munnar Starts At: Chithirapuram
- Paragliding in Munnar Ends At: Munnar Engineering College
- Best Time for Paragliding in Munnar: Dry Season weather (Summer and winter)
Tips for Stress-Free Paragliding in Munnar
- Don’t plan your paragliding in Munnar between June and September, as the rainfall season and paragliding centers remain shut.
- You must be physically fit and above 18 years (approx.)
Also Read: Best Places to visit Munnar in One Day Trip
2. Vagamon – Enjoy the unadulterated thrill of flying in the paragliding capital of Kerala
- Vagamon Paragliding Timings: 10 AM – 4 PM (approx.) and subject to weather change
- Paragliding in Vagamon Cost: ₹ 3,200 (approx.) onwards per person
- Duration of Paragliding in Vagamon: 15 – 20 minutes (approx.)
When Nat Geo featured Vagamon in its list of 50 best places to visit in India, paragliding lovers started venturing out to this hill station in Idukki District. Vagamon gained massive limelight when Kerala Tourism in February 2018 hosted the International Paragliding Festival. Located on the Idukki and Kottayam borders, there are several launch and landing sites for paragliding in Vagamon.
Enjoy soaring up in the sky over the boundary of two districts and start gliding through the picturesque cliff edge and finish a soft landing. Go Pro camera shooting with the package is an excellent deal to find yourself flying over the lush greenery beneath your feet in the form of tea plantations, waterfalls, and pine forests. So when are you planning to hang out in the sky at Vagamon for paragliding in Kerala?
- Paragliding in Vagamon Starts At: Vagamon Eco-Adventure Park & Paragliding Point
- Paragliding in Vagamon Ends At: Kolahalamedu Hill
- Best Time for Paragliding in Vagamon: Dry Season weather (Summer and winter)
Tips for Stress-Free Paragliding in Vagamon
- Review your safety equipment
- Participate in paragliding under the supervision of certified paragliding hosts
3. Varkala – Admire greenery and the blue Arabian Sea together while gliding
- Varkala Paragliding Timings: 10 AM – 4 PM (approx.) and subject to weather change
- Paragliding in Varkala Cost: ₹ 3,500 (approx.) onwards per person
- Duration of Paragliding in Varkala: 10 – 15 minutes (approx.)
Bond with nature in the spectacular coastal town of Kerala near Trivandrum and take your paragliding experience to the next level in God’s Own Country. Paragliding at Varkala Beach means cruising through the cliffs adjacent to the blue Arabian Sea at average heights, making Varkala one of the foremost paragliding destinations for kids.
Paragliders stay warm due to the warm thermals coming off the sea, and flights usually last around 10-15 minutes. Thanks to its salubrious weather and the setting of the cliffside and the Arabian Sea adjacent to it, Varkala is the year-round destination for paragliding in Kerala.
- Paragliding in Varkala Starts At: Northern Cliff (Adjacent to the Varkala Beach)
- Paragliding in Varkala Ends At: Varkala Beach or sometimes back to the helipad.
- Best Time for Paragliding in Varkala: Early/post-monsoon, summer, winter
Tips for Stress-Free Paragliding in Varkala
- Know about the weight restrictions
- Choose to paraglide under the expert’s instructors only
Wrapping Up The Best Places for Paragliding in Kerala
The God’s Own Country is beaconing you to glide through the cotton candy skies above the lush green meadows and the Arabian Sea Coastline. Inhale the lush greenery by swishing through the air around the Western Ghats mountains of Vagamon and Munnar.
Then, envision yourself cruising above the palm-fringed shoreline of the Arabian Sea in Varkala. Above the world, so high in the cloud-piercing heights, paragliding in Kerala is best enjoyed in the Idukki District and the southern coastal town of Varkala.
The former have verdant meadows, tall pine forests, and tea estates. At the same time, the latter one is known to provide views of the cliffs joining the Arabian Sea.
Boost your happy hormones with full throttle by selecting any of these places for paragliding in Kerala for a guaranteed hair-raising adrenaline rush in your veins.
Everything to Know About Paragliding in Kerala (With Cost, Course, Season)
Instructor With Passenger (Tandem Paragliding): Paragliding in Kerala is not performed alone by the paragliders. Tandem Paragliding is considered to soar high above sea level for up to 3,000 ft. In this type of paragliding, the pilot flies with you in the air, and even first-timer paragliders will have no problem until they fear heights.
A Safe Outdoor Adventure: Paragliding seasons in Kerala are performed under the supervision of certified paragliders who know the tricks and strategies of cruising in the air. Passengers are briefed before taking the leap of faith from the cliff, where you get to learn the do and don’t of paragliding when you are in the sky.
There is No Age Bar For Paragliding in Kerala: Still, the expert paragliders suggest getting involved in this activity only if you are above 14 years to 45 years. Children below 18 years are considered minors for paragliding in India; thus, parents’ consent is required before hooking up for flying without wings!
Monsoon Season Is A Strict No For Paragliding: Skip the idea of enjoying paragliding in Kerala or any other destination in and around India because monsoon winds can damage the parachute and its harness. Irrespective of the place or location, paragliding in the thunderstorm and strong winds is strict no matter how professional a paraglider you are.
Clothes to Wear For Paragliding: You must not dress to look cool. Instead, while paragliding, wear a good pair of grippy running shoes because you need to run for a while before gliding from the cliff. Moreover, men should wear t-shirts and women should wear jeans while doing the activity. Wearing loose clothes is not suggested when you are going to fly into the air.
Popular Equipment of Paragliding: Wing, rope, harness, and sunglass helmet are considered and constitute the equipment for paragliding all across the world and so in Kerala.
Time Duration of Paragliding Activity: The average estimated paragliding time in Kerala is around 15-20 minutes (approx).
- 10 Best Places to Visit in Thekkady to Unfold Wild and Calm Aspects of the Nature
- Places to Visit in Kerala With Family to Show the Attitude of Gratitude
- Munnar to Thekkady: A Scenic Road Trip in South India
- Top 10 Backwater Destinations in Kerala that You Can’t-Miss
- 12 Best Wildlife Sanctuaries in Kerala
- 10 Incredible Places to visit in Kerala for a One Day Trip
- Goa Vs Kerala: Where To Go For Next Holiday?
People Also Ask Questions For Best Places For Paragliding in Kerala
Q. Which place is famous for paragliding in Kerala?
Ans: Look no further than Varkala, Munnar, and Vagamon for paragliding in Kerala. At these places, you will find certified paragliders.
Q. What is the cost of paragliding in Kerala?
Ans: The average cost of paragliding in Kerala starts from ₹ 3,000 (approx.) per person for 15 – 20 minutes (approx.). You can extend your ride in the air only if the weather permits that at additional cost to the instructor.
Q. What should be the minimum age to go paragliding?
Ans: Adobe 18+ years is the minimum age to paraglide on your own in India. People below this age bar must come up with their parent’s consent.
Q. What is the best time for paragliding in Vagamon?
Ans: The crispness in the air in Vagamon starts from November till February and is considered the best time for paragliding in Vagamon. Although, summer and post-monsoon are other great times to go paragliding in Vagamon.
Q. Is paragliding in Kerala safe?
Ans: Yes! Paragliding in Kerala is performed under the supervision of experts and certified paragliders who know the inside out of tandem paragliding and how to harness the use of the safety gears.
Q. Is paragliding in Kerala expensive?
Ans: Partially yes and partially no! Because it depends upon your budget expense. However, compared to paragliding in North India, paragliding in Kerala is a little expensive.
Q. Can I experience paragliding in Varkala during my Kerala trip in October?
Ans: Yes! You can enjoy a paragliding activity in Varkala during your Kerala trip in October. However, weather conditions are subject to change anytime in Kerala from December to February because Kerala has a monsoon for around nine months annually.
Q. Is there paragliding in Kochi?
Ans: No! There is no paragliding in Kochi because there are no cliffs in Kochi. Cochin, aka Kochi, is a coastal town synonymous with the Queen of the Arabian Sea and is known for its fishing nets culture.
Q. Is paragliding safe for the soft-hearted (heart patient)?
Ans: No! Paragliding is not for the fainthearted. Whether it is India or any other destination, paragliding is only for the brave hearts of people. If you have any signs of cardiovascular disease, we strongly suggest you skip paragliding.
Q. Is paragliding safe for pregnant women?
Ans: No! Paragliding is not suggested for pregnant women. For infants, no outdoor adventure is suggested for pregnant ladies.