One of the most prominent pilgrim tours in North India, the Char Dham Yatra of Uttarakhand comprises the four most religious destinations in India. The Chardham Yatra places are Yamunotri, Gangotri, Kedarnath, and Badrinath.
The term ‘Char Dham Yatra’ is used to symbolize the holy pilgrimage to the religious places undertaken by the Hindus every year. If you are planning to visit these pilgrimage spots, you can travel in the summer months (May to November). This sacred journey is fun and exciting if you mix pilgrimage with sightseeing and nature trekking.
As per the thousand years of Hindu tradition, it is believed that one of the ancient Hindu philosophers and reformers “Adi Shankracharya” coined the famous term ‘Char Dham’, which denotes the four Hindu pilgrimages in the four different directions of India.
However, over the years, the term ‘Chardham’ is associated with the pilgrim tour in the Garhwal Himalayas. In order to differentiate this religious tour from the larger circuit of Chardham Sites, Hindu pilgrims call it the name Chota Char Dham. The term Chota Char Dham Yatra of Uttarakhand refers to the trip in the lap of the Himalayas.
Let’s take a look list of Char Dham Yatra Places in India
Chardham Yatra Places in India and Name-
Chota Char Dham Yatra Places in Uttarakhand and Name
Here is the detailed information about the Char Dham Yatra list with names of the places of the holy sites:
1. Yamunotri Dham
Perched at an elevation of 3,293 meters, Yamunotri is the seat of river Goddess Yamuna and is situated atop the edge of Bandar Poonch Parvat. The famous Champasar Glacier, situated on Kalind Mountain at an elevation of 4,142 meters, is the original source of the River Yamuna. The glacier is around 1 kilometer up from the plane of existence. During Yamunotri Yatra, devotees also visit other sacred places near this holy Dham.
Below are some of the places, you can visit during your Yamunotri Dham Yatra
1. Jankichatti:- Jankichatti is situated at a 4 Km distance, this is a residential area and the last stop during trekking to Yamunotri.
2. Shani Dev Temple:- Shani temple is located 2 KM away from Yamunotri Dham Temple, this holy temple should also visit during the Yamunotri yatra. It is in Kharsali village dedicated to Shani Dev.
Destinations to be covered en route Yamunotri and Gangotri
- Surya Kund: One of the most important attractions nearby Yamunotri is Surya Kund. The Surya Kund, located nearby the Yamunotri Temple, is called so because the Yamuna is the mythological offspring of the Sun God.
The temperature of Surya Kund is 88 degrees. The presence of this thermal spring bordered by snow-covered mountain peaks adds to the divine ambiance of this place.
- Divya Shila: Divya Shila is a powerful rock pillar that is located close to the Surya Kund. Although the voyage is quite tiresome, the devotees found pleasure in climbing this massive embankment. The journey is highly rewarding with the most tranquil environment.
Yamunotri Temple Opening and Closing Date
Yamunotri Temple Dwar will open from 22nd April till 12th November 2023.
Yamunotri Temple Aarti Timings
Mangal Aarti takes place from 6:30 AM to 7:30 AM and Shayan Aarti Aarti from 6:30 PM to 7:30 PM.
|Ponies and Palkies Rates for Yamunotri Temple (Janki Chatti to Yamunotri Dham)|
|Janki Chatti to Yamunotri||One Way||Round Way|
|Palki Rates (Dandi or Palanquin)||INR 1430||INR 2560|
|Kandi Rates||INR 490||INR 900|
|Ponies Rates||INR 490||INR 900|
Yamunotri Tour Packages:
2. Gangotri Dham
A part of the Chardham Yatra places, Gangotri is a small town located on the banks of River Bhagirathi and nestled at an elevation of 3,100 meters in the Greater Himalayas. The Gangotri Dham is enclosed in the spectacular Garhwal Hills, at an altitude of 3048 meters above sea level.
The evening Aarti performed on the banks of the River Ganges is the most appealing sight of this place. The temple was constructed by General Amar Singh in the 18th century.
Gangotri Temple Opening and Closing Date
Gangotri Temple Dwar will open from 22nd April till 12th November 2023.
Aarti Timing in Gangotri Temple
Mangal Aarti takes place from 6:30 AM to 7:30 AM and Shayan Aarti Aarti from 6:30 PM to 7:30 PM.
Destinations to be covered en-route Gangotri and Kedarnath
Uttarkashi: Also known as ‘Kashi of the North‘, Uttarkashi is home to a number of ashrams and temples and also to the Nehru Institute of Mountaineering.
Guptkashi: Located within the Northern Himalayan belt within the Mandakini River Valley, Guptkashi is famous for the Vishwanath Temple dedicated to Lord Shiva.
Gangotri Tour Packages:
3. Kedarnath Dham
Located near Rudraprayag District in Uttarakhand, Kedarnath Temple is a holy and revered place and is the seat of Lord Shiva. It is surrounded by enthralling snow-capped mountains, including Mount Kailash. It is also revered as one of the ‘12 Jyotirlingas of Lord Shiva‘, and rests at an altitude of 3584 meters from the outfall of the holy river ‘Mandakini‘.
Also Read: केदारनाथ यात्रा 2022 की तैयारी कैसे करें
Kedarnath Temple Opening & Closing Date
Temple Dwar will open from 25th April till 14th November 2023.
Aarti Timing in Kedarnath Temple
The morning aarti is at 5:35 AM. Sampurna Aarti is performed in the temple from 6 PM to 7.30 PM.
Ponies and Palkies Rates for Kedarnath Yatra (Gaurikund to Kedarnath Dham)
|Gaurikund to Kedarnath||One Way||Round Way|
|Palki Rates (Dandi or Palanquin)||INR 5050||INR 8450|
|Kandi Rates||INR 2900||INR 3350|
|Ponies Rates||INR 2300||INR 4300|
Here is detailed information about places to visit during Kedarnath Darshan Yatra.
1. Chandrashila Trek:- This easy Himalayan trek allows breathtaking views that start from Haridwar and end at Chandrashila covering the beautiful Tungnath temple. Kedarnath is located 31 Km away from Chandrashila Peak.
2. Bhairavath Temple:- Bhairavnath temple is dedicated to Lord Bhairav. It is situated on a hilltop at a distance of 500 meters from Kedarnath Dham.
3. Gaurikund:-Gaurikund is a trekking route from gaurikund to Kedarnath. It is the nearest motorable area located 14 Km away from Kedarnath.
Also Read: 12 Jyotirlinga Images with Name and Place
Destinations to be covered en-route Kedarnath and Badrinath
- Rudraprayag: Located in Rudraprayag district in the Indian state of Uttarakhand, Rudraprayag is one of the Panch Prayag (five confluences) of Alaknanda River, the point of confluence of River Alaknanda and River Mandakini. The famous man-eating Leopard of Rudraprayag was hunted by Jim Corbett here.
- Hemkund Sahib: Also spelled as Hemkunt, Hemkund Sahib is a Sikh place and pilgrimage site in the Chamoli district of Uttarakhand, India. The Sikh shrine is devoted to the tenth Sikh Guru ‘Guru Gobind Singh Ji‘ and finds its mention in Dasam Granth.
4. Badrinath Dham
Badrinath is the final destination of Char Dham Yatra in Uttarakhand and is considered the abode of Lord Vishnu. It is strategically situated in the Garhwal Hills, at a height of 3,415 meters above sea level. It is a two-day long journey from Kedarnath and tourists can also visit the Hemkund Sahib.
Badrinath Temple Opening and Closing Date
Badrinath Temple Dwar was decided to open from 27th April till 21st November 2023. (Tentative).
Aarti Timing in Badrinath Temple
Mangal Aarti takes place at 4:30 AM in the morning and Shayan Aarti at 8:30 PM in the evening.
The holy place Badrinath is the ultimate destination for religious people. You can make your Badrinath Darshan Yatra more contented by visiting a number of holy places near Badrinath Temple. Some of the famous places near Badrinath are
1. Tapt Kund: It is 1 km away from the bus stand. This is a natural hot water spring near the Alaknanda River that is believed to be the abode of Lord Agni. Most of the pilgrims take therapeutic baths in the holy water of Tapt Kund.
2. Charan Paduka: Paduka is located 3km away from Badrinath temple, this enchanting place is believed to be the first stop of Lord Vishnu on earth with his footprints on a rock 3380 ft.
3. Bheem Pul: Bheem Pul is located 4.8 Km from the Badrinath Dham, this is a natural stone bridge that is believed to be created by one of the Pandav brothers Bheem to cross the Saraswati River.
Char Dham Yatra by Helicopter is organized by the local tour & travel operator and the helicopter services are arranged in conjunction with the private and government aviation operators. The helicopter services were started to help devotees who are either physically disabled or running short of time.
Badrinath Tour Packages:
2. Rameshwaram in South
Rameshwaram is one of the most divine places in India and is located in the sea region in the state of Tamil Nadu. This holy town is famed for being one of the Char Dham destinations and the star attraction that welcomes tourists from all over the world.
According to Hindu mythos, this is the place where Lord Rama formed a bridge path from Rameshwaram to Sri Lanka to rescue his wife Goddess Sita from Ravana. Lord Shiva also worshipped in this place. Rameshwaram is one of the places you must add to your travel bucket list.
However, Rameshwaram is an extremely popular religious destination and is visited by pilgrims throughout the year. Other attractions include Agni Teertham, The Five-Faced Hanuman Temple, Sri Ramanathaswamy Temple, Water Bird Sanctuary, and Dr. APJ Kalam National Memorial. The tourists can shop also for Kanjeevaram Sarees, items made of shells and pearl bead ornaments. Here you can find several vegetarian restaurants in the vicinity.
Arulmigu Ramanatha Swami Temple Aarti Timings:
|Name of the Pooja||Timings|
|Palliyarai Deepa Aradhana||05:00 A.M|
|Spadigalinga Deepa Aradhana||05:10 A.M|
|Thiruvananthal Deepa Aradhana||05:45 A.M|
|Vila Pooja||07:00 A.M|
|Kalasanthi Pooja||10:00 A.M|
|Uchikala Pooja||12:00 P.M|
|Sayaratcha Pooja||06:00 P.M|
|Arthajama Pooja||08.30 P.M|
|Palliyarai Pooja||08:45 P.M|
Rameshwaram is easily accessible by air, rails, and roadways. If you are planning a trip to Rameshwaram then read the following ways to get down there.
- By Flight: The nearest airport to Rameshwaram is Madurai Airport, about 175 Km from Rameshwaram. The airport is well connected with flights to many metro cities in India. Taxis are available from the airport.
- By Train: The Rameshwaram railway station is the major railhead and you can easily get regular trains to Rameshwaram from the other major cities in India. There are numerous express and superfast trains to Rameshwaram from the other major cities of the country. Taxis and cabs services are also available from the station.
- By Road: Rameshwaram is well associated with roads to other cities of Tamil Nadu. There are also regular buses to Rameshwaram from the major cities of the country. You can book the tickets either online or directly at the station.
The months of October to April are the best time to visit this blessed place.
Pilgrimage tour packages in South
3. Dwarka in West
Dwarka, the capital of the domain of Lord Krishna, is frequently visited by many tourists and pilgrims across the globe. This is among the most important part of the Char Dham Yatra.
The term ‘Dwarkadhish’ denotes Lord Krishna and is regarded as the “Lord of Dwarka”. The image is presented in the form of a four-armed Vishnu. Apart from this, a lot of myths are intermingled into the imperial city of Dwarka.
Dwarkadhish Temple is one of the most important pilgrimages of the Hindus. The city of Dwarka is regarded as the ‘Gateway to Moksha’. Every day Aarti is performed at regular intervals and Abhishek is done.
The city of Dwarka is a hub for shoppers who love to pamper themselves with ethnic items. Besides, the town is sprawling with a plethora of shrines that boast wonderful structural design and has a great cultural impact. The beachside is another tourist attraction of the city. Dwarka offers you the most spiritual and holy bit of Gujarat.
Jagannath Temple Aarti Timings
|Name of the Pooja||Timings|
|Mangla Aarti||06:30 A.M|
|Abhishek Pooja||08:00 A.M|
|Shringar Aarti||10:30 A.M|
|Sandhya Aarti||07:30 P.M|
|Shayan Aarti||08:30 P.M|
The holy city of Dwarka is visited by many pilgrims every year. If you are wondering how to reach Dwarka, then read the following ways to get there.
- Dwarka by Air: The nearest airport from Dwarka is Govardhanpur Airport (JGA), which lies at a distance of 120 Km from Dwarka. Another nearest airport to Dwarka is Porbandar Airport (PBD), which is about 98 Km from Dwarka. This will not take more than 3 hours to reach Dwarka. Public buses, taxis, and cabs are easily available from the airport.
- Dwarka by Rail: You will be glad to know that Dwarka enjoys great train connectivity from all the major cities of the country via regular trains. Taxis and cabs services are also available from the stations.
- Dwarka by Road: Dwarka is well linked with the cities of Gujarat and other major cities of India. You can easily get regular buses to Dwarka and can be assured of a comfortable ride because of the excellent roads in Gujarat. Besides, it is also an inexpensive means of transport.
The most recommended time to visit Dwarka is from October to March. During these months the weather is pleasurable and cool, which makes the exploration tour of the city pleasurable.
Pilgrimage Tour Packages in West
4. Puri in East
Puri is the favorite weekend destination and is located alongside the Bay of Bengal in Eastern India. For its wonderful Jagannath Shrine, the city is well-known as Jagannath Puri. It is one of the seven holiest places for Hindus in India and the prominent Char Dham Yatra place.
During the Rath Yatra in Puri, this place becomes the point of religious tourism in India. Touched by the hands of Lord Jagannath himself, Puri in Odisha is soaked in flamboyant festivals and rich cultural inheritance. This holy city holds something for everyone who comes here. This religious site is an attraction that is impossible to miss if you are in Puri.
As part of the Charm Dham tour, Jagannath Puri Temple is one of the most important Hindu pilgrimage sites. A major portion of the shrine remains hidden belowground, the visible part is a wonderful display of Oriya architecture.
Puri tourism allows you to explore old and ancient temples, beaches, and shops to your heart’s content. Don’t forget to explore Orissa icons such as Jagannath Temple, Konark Sun Temple & Nandankanan Zoological Park. Famous for its beaches and religious grandeur, Puri is flocked by thousands of visitors from across the globe year-round.
Aarti timings of Jagannath Temple:
- Dwarpitha and Mangal Aarti at 5 A.M
- Sandhya Aarti and Dhupa – 7 P.M. to 8 P.M.
Puri Tour Packages
- Puri by Flight: Although, Puri does not have an airport. The nearest airport is Bhubaneswar Airport (BBI) which is 56 Km away from Puri and helps in connecting the major cities of the country. One can hire a cab or taxi and local buses are easily available from the airport.
- Puri by Rail: Puri has a railway junction that connects to the other major parts of the country and vice-versa. Regular and direct train services are available from all major cities of India.
- Puri by Road: There are regular buses connected with neighboring cities through well-constructed roads of Puri and also from various cities across India. From local transport buses to cabs and taxis, there are various ways in which one can reach Puri.
It is generally from July to March when the region enjoys the salubrious weather and comfortable climatic conditions for the sightseeing tour and outdoor activities. The pilgrims can explore numerous shrines and tourist places of the city and make their journey memorable.
Chardham Tour Packages
Finally, the good news has come for the pilgrims who wish to embark on the holy sojourn of Char Dham Yatra 2023. The Uttarakhand High Court has lifted the stay from the Yatra and issued some COVID-19 guidelines for the devotees who are aiming to go for the Char Dham Yatra. The Chota Char Dham Yatra is to begin from 3rd May 2023 for devotees.