Last Updated on by Manmeet Kaur
Going on a vacation, eating homemade food between the journey, laughing with our siblings, while our parents smiled has been the childhood of many. It was the best time of our lives and it’s time to relive those moments.
December brings down the curtain every year. With New Year and Christmas being the center of attraction and pleasant weather all around, it is the best time to plan a trip and have a blast with your family. After all, a family who travels together stays together.
Check out the best places to visit in India in December with family.
|Family Vacations in December||Temperature in December||Things to do with family|
|Goa||21°C – 33°C||Dudhsagar Falls, water activities, Mandovi river’s cruise|
|Shimla||4°C – 12°C||toy train, skiing, Jakhoo Hill and Chadwick falls|
|Kerala||4°C – 12°C||Tea in Munnar, backwaters in Kumarakom, Thekkady|
|Darjeeling||3°C – 11°C||Tiger Hill, Darjeeling zoo, Cable car ride|
|Andaman||22°C – 30°C||Scuba diving, glass-bottom boat ride, Cellular Jail, Snorkeling|
|Jaipur||4°C – 12°C||Camel ride, Jal Mahal, Amer Fort, Choki Dhani, Jaipur Zoo|
|Jaisalmer||4°C – 12°C||Dune bashing, camel ride, Gadisar Lake, Jain Temples|
Hip and Happening Goa
Home to some of the most iconic beaches like Anjuna, Baga, Candolim, etc., Goa is a dream destination of many. This charming destination receives flocks of tourists every year from across the globe. Planning a trip to Goa with your family in December will be the perfect way to end the year. Goa comes to life with grand Christmas and New year decorations. Also, December is the month when the Mando Festival, Sunburn Festival and Goa Art and Literature Festival takes place in Goa. It is a great way to indulge in activities that Goa has to offer and strengthen your #familysationship.
Activities in Goa:
- Indulge in water activities at Dona Paula
- Enjoy a hot air balloon ride
- Have a gala time on Mandovi river’s cruise
- Participate together in Goa’s festivals
- Witness local and migratory birds at Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary
- Shop your heart out at flea markets
- Trek to Dudhsagar Falls
Temperature: 21°C to 33°C
Weather: It is quite pleasant in Goa in December. All activities, restaurants, and shacks are open for families to enjoy.
Splendid Beauty of Shimla
Featuring snow-clad mountains, cold weather, and picturesque landscape, Shimla is one of the best destinations to visit in India. Families will love the chill weather while sipping hot tea, and tasting the warm Maggi. You can visit at any time of the year but December has its own charm in Shimla. If you want to enjoy snowfall related activities, then you have to plan a vacation with your family in winters.
Activities in Shimla:
- Take a ride on the toy train
- Shop at Lakka bazaar
- Visit the Gaiety Theatre
- Trek to Jakhoo Hill and Chadwick falls
- Indulge in skiing
- Enjoy a walk on the Mall Road
Also Read: Things to do in Shimla
Temperature: 4°C to 12°C
Weather: Shimla gets pretty chilly in December and it is advised to take a lot of warm clothes especially if you are traveling with children.
Also Read: Places to Experience Snowfall in India
God’s Own Country – Kerala
If you are looking for more than just frosty weather, mountains, and adventure sports, then take your family to this South Indian destination. In Kerala, you will witness slight warm weather. Moreover, it is a great place for families to enjoy the beaches, backwaters, historical monuments, hills, waterfalls, and tea, coffee, and spice plantations.
Activities in Kerala:
- Try the flavorsome tea in Munnar
- Cruise through backwaters in Kumarakom
- Spot animals at Eravikulam National Park
- Buy spices from Thekkady
- Try parasailing and surfing in Kovalam
Temperature: 23°C to 32°C
Weather: Due to calm and clear weather, families can enjoy a lot of activities together.
Queen of Hills – Darjeeling
From jaw-dropping locales, untouched beauty of the hills to spectacular sunrises, and warmth of the local people, Darjeeling has everything you are looking for. It is located amidst the mighty Himalayas offering a perfect getaway for your family. If you are tea lovers, Darjeeling is known for its splendid tea gardens on mountain slopes. Plan a visit to this beautiful hill station in the eastern part of India with your family.
Activities in Darjeeling:
- Savor the taste of traditional cheese Churpi
- Gaze at the beautiful panorama at Tiger Hill
- Go on a cable car ride
- Ride the toy train through nature scapes
- Witness the wild at Darjeeling zoo
- Have a cup of locally brewed chai
Also read: Things to Do in Darjeeling with family
Temperature: 3°C to 11°C
Weather: Visit this Queen of Hills of North East India. December turns this hill station more charming with cool weather.
Coral Reefs of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
With more than 300 islands, Andaman and Nicobar Islands are perfect for families. They are known for their white-sand beaches, palm trees, mangroves, and tropical rainforests. Have a blast along the stunning coastline with marine life and dive in the aqua blue waters to witness the vibrant coral reefs. Not only this, Andaman and Nicobar Islands are blessed with local culture and rich past that will make your trip worth a visit. Explore the ancient architecture of this island and come back home with pleasant memories.
Activities in Andaman:
- Explore the marine life with scuba diving
- Try snorkeling to witness beautiful coral reefs
- Hire a local vehicle to explore the island together
- Hop on a glass-bottom boat ride
- Satiate your adrenaline with parasailing
- Witness the sound and light show at Cellular Jail
Also read: Top Things to do in Andaman Nicobar Islands
Temperature: 22°C to 30°C
Weather: Planning a trip to the islands is perfect as the weather is moderate during the daytime. Evenings can get a bit cooler, so carry full sleeve shirts and lightweight-jackets with you.
Magnificent Forts of Jaipur
With the city surrounded by walls and gates with a backdrop of pretty pink hue, Jaipur is undoubtedly no doubt one of the best places to visit in December with family. The city is home to some UNESCO World Heritage Sites like Jantar Mantar and Amer Fort, which you can visit during your trip. Apart from this, Jaipur has a lot of temples, museums, palaces, and bustling local bazaars that will make a great time in Jaipur. A family of food lovers must relish the local Jaipur food like Ghewar, Dal Baati Churma, and Pyaaz Kachori.
Activities to do in Jaipur:
- Visit the marvelous Jal Mahal
- Stay at the exotic Lohagarh Fort resort
- Witness the Indian and European blend at Nahargarh Fort
- Dance with folk dancers at Choki Dhani
- Shop for souvenirs at Jaipur bazaars
- Relish local Rajasthani cuisine
- Enjoy Elephant ride at Amer Fort
- Have fun on a camel ride
- Explore the wildlife at Jaipur Zoo
Temperature: 9°C to 24°C
Weather: The weather remains mild and dry, which is good for enjoying the sightseeing tours and activities in Jaipur.
Also read: Things to Do in Jaipur with family
Glorious Deserts of Jaisalmer
From the majesty of the Thar Desert to the splendor of royal forts and palaces, your family will never face a dull moment at these best places to visit in December. It is known as the ‘golden city’ like the magnificent palaces here made of golden sandstone. As a family, there are a lot of activities to do. Explore Jaisalmer Fort, Patwon Ki Haveli, Vyas Chhatri, and much more.
Activities to do in Jaisalmer:
- Go dune bashing
- Camp in a desert camp
- Enjoy parasailing or paramotoring at Kanoi
- Ride a camel on the golden sands
- Explore the architectural marvels of the city
- Spot the wildlife at the Desert National Park
- Relish the view at Gadisar Lake
- Watch the Puppet show at Desert Culture Centre and Museum
- Indulge in Rajasthani cuisine
- Admire the beauty of Salim Singh Ki Haveli
- Witness the extraordinary architecture of Jain Temples
Temperature: 10°C to 26°C
Weather: The pleasant weather of Jaisalmer makes it comfortable for you to enjoy all activities.
Whatever destination you choose, remember that December has its own charm and beauty. With pleasant weather all around, you have to take your family out to one of the best places to visit in India in December because “Travelling in the company of those we love is home in motion.”