Kerala, popularly known and believed as God's Own Country, is an ideal destination for business traveler as well as holidaymaker. One of the most sought after tourist destinations in Asia , Kerala is India's only tropical paradise. The state is blessed with myriad features like dense tropical forests, beautiful beaches, cliffs, rocky coasts, an intricate maze of backwaters, still bays and astounding 44 radiant rivers. One such mesmerizing place in Kerala is Kozhikode, better known as Calicut.
This district with serene beaches, emerald green countryside, and historic sites is set with the Arabian Sea on the west and the Wayanad hills on the east. The most important region of Malabar in earlier times, Kozhikode was the capital of the powerful Zamorins and a major trade and commerce center as well. The city continues to be a center of flourishing domestic and international trade, being the marketing center for commodities like pepper coconut, coffee, rubber, lemon grass oil etc.
Kozhikode found a place in World History with the discovery of sea route to India by the Portuguese navigator Vasco Da Gama , who landed at the Kappad sea shore in 1498. A monument is constructed here to commemorate the historical landing.
Some of the famous tourist attractions in Kozhikode are the -
- Pazhassiraja Museum & Art Gallery: This museum displays ancient murals, antique bronzes, old coins, excavated earthenware, models of temples, megalithic monuments etc.
- Krishna Menon Museum: This museum displays the personal belongings and souvenirs of Late V. K. Krishna Menon, a renowned statesman.
- Kozhikode Beach: A favorite hub for sunset viewers, it has an old lighthouse and two crumbling piers, along with entertainment facilities like the Lion's park for children and the marine water aquarium.
- Velliyamkallu: This massive rock, once a favorable position for the marakkars to attack the invading Portuguese, has fine-looking natural engravings worth exploring.
- Thikkoti Lighthouse : This lighthouse overlooking Velliyamkallu of Moodadi coast was built after a shipwreck, the remains of which can still be seen here.
- Kozhikode Planetarium: Located at Jaffarkhan colony, it offers extensive insight into the mysteries of the universe, the planets and the galaxies.
Best time to visit Kozhikode is between the months of September and May.
How to reach
To reach Kozhikode, the nearest Airport is at Karipur (23 km). Kozhikode is served by a handful of costal expresses and several passenger trains. A well-built network of roads connects Kozhikode to all the major cities in India and other parts of the state.
Some of the major hotels in Kozhikode, offering an impressive blend of tradition and modernity, are Sea Queen Hotel, Taj Residency, Kadavu Resorts, Fortune Hotel, Malabar Mansion, etc.