Located away from the city bustle, Idukki Wildlife Sanctuary is a paradise for nature and wildlife lovers. Spread over an area of 77 square kilometers, this wildlife sanctuary is at an altitude of 450 - 750 feet above sea level. Also, it stretches over the taluks of Udumpanchola and Thodupuzha in the Idukki district, in Kerala.
The Idukki Wildlife Sanctuary came into existence in 1976 and has been a favorite spot for tourists visiting Kerala especially for wildlife tourism.
Best time to visit Idukki Wildlife Sanctuary
The perfect time to visit the Idukki wildlife sanctuary is during the months of December to April. Elephants are seen in this wildlife park mainly during the dry season.
Flora and Fauna
The Idukki wildlife sanctuary has a rich biodiversity, and rich avifauna. This wildlife park is situated very close to the Idukki Arch Dam.
If you are on a wildlife tour to the Idukki Wildlife Sanctuary, you can get an opportunity to see various species of snakes such as the cobra, krait and the viper. This wildlife sanctuary also houses a number of birds such as woodpeckers, black bulbuls, jungle fowls, laughing thrushes, mynas, kingfishers and peafowls. Like any other wildlife sanctuary in Kerala this wildlife park also presents a perfect spot for a wonderful weekend getaway.
Idukki Wildlife Sanctuary Timings and Entry Fee -
- You can visit any time of the day with zero entry fee.
Safari Timings and Entry Fees at Idukki Wildlife Sanctuary
- 08:00 AM to 04.00 PM. Indian visitors have to pay INR 15 for adults and INR 7 for children.
Safari Vehicles are available and will cost you -
- Heavy vehicles: INR 150
- Light vehicles: INR 75
- Others: INR 20
- For Video Cameras - INR 150
- For Still Cameras: INR 25
How to reach Idukki Wildlife Sanctuary
- By Air - The nearest airports are in Kochi and Trivandrum.
- By Rail - Kottayam as the nearest train station to the wildlife sanctuary. Local taxis can be hired to reach here.
- By Road - The sanctuary is connected to major cities in Kerala like Kochi and Trivandrum. Private vehicles are available to reach Idukki Wildlife Sanctuary.