India has a plethora of places to be explored with family. But, out of the many, here are a handful of family holiday destinations in North East India you can venture for matchless experiences. Awe-inspiring hill stations, gushing waterfalls and enthralling wildlife sanctuaries are the pride of the Seven Sisters and one brother.
Of course, there is nothing better than spending family holidays in India to break the monotonous routine. Owing to various reasons, the spellbinding destinations of North East India for family vacations will strengthen your bond with your loved ones like never before!
Amazing toy train rides, trekking opportunities, and whatnot completes your trip to this scenic part of the country. So, pack your bags and head for an ultimate trip leaving all your worries behind.
Best Places To Visit In North East India With Family
|Mokokchung||Nagaland||Kalimpong||Dawki||Namdapha National Park|
Unarguably Gangtok features nature’s bounty. This capital city of Sikkim is indeed a paramount choice to plan summer vacations in India. The pristine town shrouded in clouds also acts as a base for trekkers heading toward the Himalayan mountain ranges.
Lots of Tibetans-Buddhists get attracted to the scenic town because of the innumerable religious, educational institutions, and monasteries present here. Besides, many newly wedded couples also prefer to spend their honeymoon in Gangtok.
Places to visit in Gangtok
- Nathu La Pass – the bond between Tibet and Sikkim
- Rumtek Monastery – the holiest place where traditional Buddhist rites are performed
- Ganesh Tok – Crawl like a baby to reach Ganesh Temple
- Tsongmo Lake – Admire the beauty of holy Tsongmo Lake which is worshipped by Sikkimese
- Ban Jhakri Falls – Examine the traditional sculptures and figures of the Jhakri culture
What not to miss in Gangtok?
- Enjoy shopping and nightlife at MG Road.
- Trekking to Kanchenjunga.
- Reconnoiter the astonishing collection of relics of the Vajrayana. Buddhism and Tibetan culture.
- A cable car ride to Gangtok.
- Go for a Yak Safari.
Best Time to visit Gangtok
April to June is the best time to visit Gangtok. However, it can also be visited in winter as well.
How to reach Gangtok?
- By Air – Bagdogra Airport (125.2 km)
- Via Train – New Jalpaiguri Railway Station (117 km)
- By Road – Siliguri (115.9 km)
- Top 15 Things to do in Sikkim
- Planning a winter holiday in Sikkim
- 10 Best Places to Visit in Sikkim in December
Trending Gangtok Tour packages
Escape the cities, admire the panoramic views of the Kanchenjunga, interact with people of different religions, and savor delicious cuisines. If this is all that you expect for unforgettable family vacations then Pelling is the right place for you.
Best Places to visit in Pelling
- Sangachoeling Monastery – an essential highlight of the Buddhist Circuit
- Rimbi Waterfall – soak in the natural beauty
- Sewaro Rock Garden – best suited for a picnic with family
- Kaluk – an unexplored heaven
- Singhshore Bridge – highest bridge of Sikkim
What not to miss?
- Unwinding at the best homestays at Darap Village.
- Bird watching
- Rope sliding at the Kanchenjunga Fall.
Best Time to visit Pelling
Although Pelling is an all-year-round destination. However, it is advisable to plan a trip from Mid-February to June and September to December.
How to reach Pelling?
- By Air – Bagdogra Airport (160 km)
- Via Train – New Jalpaiguri Railway Station (152 km)
- By Road – Pelling is well connected via all the major road networks
Are you planning a summer holiday in Sikkim with family, check out 18 Best Places to Visit in Sikkim in Summers.
Next on the list of best places to visit on your winter trip to India in Guwahati. The largest city of Assam is nestled beside the southern bank of the river Brahmaputra. Home to plush fauna, the ‘Gateway to the North-East’ also owns a rich historical and cultural legacy. For this reason, the town remains a preferred choice for anyone planning family holidays in India.
Places to visit in Guwahati
- Kamakhya Temple – one of the 51 Shakti Peethas of Goddess
- Umananda Temple – a temple on the peacock island dedicated to Lord Shiva
- Assam State Zoo – a remarkable place to spot white tigers, swamp tapirs, one-horned rhinos, etc.
- Guwahati Planetarium – a treasure of knowledge for your kids
- ISKCON Guwahati – worshipping place of Lord Krishna
What not to miss in Guwahati?
- Visit the Assam State Museum.
- Take a trip to Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary.
- A pilgrimage to Hajo.
- Shopping at Fancy Bazar.
Best Time to Visit Guwahati
The salubrious weather from October to March makes it the best time to visit Guwahati.
How to reach Guwahati?
- By Air – Guwahati International Airport (20 km)
- Via Train – Guwahati Junction (0 km)
- By Road – ISBT Guwahati (5.1 km)
Assam Tour Packages
Alluring innumerable newly wedded couples, travelers, holidaymakers, etc. Darjeeling is one of the best family holiday destinations in North East India. Nestled in the Himalayan foothills, the hill town is remarked for its tea industry.
Above all, panoramic views of the world’s third-highest mountain Kanchenjunga present a unique spectacle. Moreover, a toy train ride on the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway, a UNESCO World Heritage Site urges couples to visit Darjeeling for their honeymoon in Northeast India.
Top Places to visit in Darjeeling
- Tiger Hill – matchless site to bask in the beauty of the ascending sun
- Batasia Loop – a spiral railway track where a toy train takes a 360-degree turn
- Japanese Peace Pagoda – attain sheer tranquility here
- Nightingale Park – a park with a giant statue of Lord Shiva along with a musical fountain
What not to miss in Darjeeling?
- Toy train ride on Darjeeling Himalayan Railway
- City Shopping.
- Take some time out for the Rock Garden.
Best Time to Visit Darjeeling
October to March is when tourists throng at Darjeeling.
How to reach Darjeeling?
- By Air – Bagdogra Airport (95 km)
- Nearest Railway Station – New Jalpaiguri Railway Station (62 km)
- By Road – Bus service from Siliguri (70 km)
[Plan your tour to Darjeeling with some tastefully crafted Darjeeling Tour Packages]
Shillong flaunts a myriad of tourist places to sightsee. The famous hill station in India hosts various musical and cultural events from time to time. Furthermore, the capital city of Meghalaya provides relief from the scorching heat across the country.
Owing to enthralling mountain peaks, incredibly striking golf courses, pristine lakes, the zoo, and museums Shillong is a must-visit place. As a matter of fact, planning honeymoon vacations in Shillong offers unforgettable experiences.
Places to visit in Shillong
- Mawlynnong – Asia’s cleanest village
- Umiam Lake – a paradise for nature lovers
- Elephant Falls – three small falls merging into one
- Shillong Peak – the peaks behind the name of this hill station
What not to miss in Shillong?
- Trekking at David Scott Trails.
- Delight in the vivacious nightlife of Shillong.
Best Time to visit Shillong
March to June offer the best sightseeing opportunities in Shillong.
How to reach Shillong?
- By Air – Guwahati Airport (115.0 km)
- Via Train – Guwahati Railway Station (104 km)
- By Road – Bus services by Meghalaya Transport Service from Guwahati (99.5 km)
Checkout: 10 Famous Places to Visit in Meghalaya
Shillong Tour Packages
Commanding views of the valley, Tibetan handicrafts, churches, and Buddhist monasteries are the identical aspects of Kalimpong. The hill town remains on the bucket list of people who plan summer vacations in India. However, this immaculate place can be visited any time of the year.
Places to visit in Kalimpong
- Durpin Dara Hill – offers breathtaking views of the town
- Cactus Nursery – exporter and cultivator of exotic beautiful flowers
- Galingka – facilitate the mesmerizing views of Kanchenjunga
- Deolo Hills – the best site for viewing the spectacular sunrise and sunset
- Thongsa Gompa – the oldest Bhutanese Monastery
What not to miss?
- River rafting in Teesta.
- Buy souvenirs from Teesta Bazar.
- Understand the impact of human activities on nature.
Best Time to visit Kalimpong
- March and April are the springtime and thus offer the best sightseeing opportunities.
- May and June are the summer season and also the peak season.
- December to February is the winter season with less crowd.
How to reach Kalimpong?
- By Air – Bagdogra Airport (75 km)
- Nearest Railway Station – New Jalpaiguri Railway Station (70 km)
- By Road –Siliguri (65 km)
In general, Cherrapunji houses some of the best waterfalls. The high-altitude town is one of the best places to visit in Northeast India to witness the living root bridges. Once known as the wettest place on the Earth, the sub-divisional town is the traditional capital of Hima known as Shora or Churra.
Places to visit in Cherrapunji
- Nohkalikai Falls – tallest plunge waterfall
- Mawsmai Cave – darkest cave offering a thrilling experience
- Dainthlen Falls – the scenic waterfall with rock carvings of snake
- Thangkharang Park – a park positioned on the edge of a cliff
- Nohsngithiang Falls – fourth highest waterfall also known as the Seven Sister Falls
What not to miss in Cherrapunji?
- Trekking at Double Decker Living Root Bridge.
- Rock Climbing
Best Time to visit Cherrapunji
September to May is the ideal months to visit Cherrapunji.
How to reach Cherrapunji?
- By Air – Umroi Airport (91 km)
- Via Train – Guwahati Railway Station (150 km)
- By Road –Shillong (55 km)
Also Check out: Top 10 must visit Waterfalls in India
Plans of summer vacations in Northeast India are incomplete without visiting Tawang. As a matter of fact, nature resides here in its purest form. The beautiful town is privileged to be the birthplace of the Dalai Lama and houses several important monasteries.
Tawang will definitely cajole you with its natural magnificence shrouded in the aura of spirituality. It is definitely one of the best places to visit in June for summer vacations.
Places to visit in Tawang
- Tawang Monastery – the second largest monastery in the world
- Sela Pass and Lake – the lifeline for Arunachal Pradesh
- Bap Teng Kang – an offbeat place with an awe-inspiring waterfall
- Gorichen Peak – the highest peak in Arunachal Pradesh
- Tsomgo Lake – a picturesque locale which spellbound the tourists
What not to miss in Tawang?
- Praying at Tawang Gompa.
- Savor some of the best cuisines at Dragon Restaurant.
- Enjoy the evenings at Orange Restaurant and Lounge.
Best Time to visit Tawang
Tawang is better visited in the months of October to July
How to reach Tawang?
- By Air – Salonibari Airport (317 km)
- Nearest Railway Station – Rangapara Railway Station (485 km)
- By Road – Bus service from Bomdila (171.2 km)
Check out the list of most popular Monasteries in North East India
Majuli is the best pick to plan winter holidays in India. The world’s largest river island can change your perspective about an ideal vacation with family. In fact, the enthralling feel of swaying over the Brahmaputra River to reach this destination is a matchless experience.
In addition, Raas, the main festival of Majuli in Assam is worth witnessing. The spellbinding fiesta renders the onlookers speechless.
Places to visit in Majuli
- Kamalabari Satra – famous locale that entices literature, art, and cultural enthusiasts
- Gramur – one of the holy seats in town
- Dakhinpat Satra – an ancient educational center
- Auniati Satra – a treasure box of traditional Assamese jewelry, utensils, and handicrafts
What not to miss in Majuli?
- Picnic at Tengapania.
- Attend Raasleela, the National Festival of Assam.
Best Time to visit Majuli
November to April are the ideal months to visit Majuli.
How to reach Majuli?
- By Air – Johrat Airport (50 km)
- Via Train – Johrat (42.9 km)
- By Road – Jorhat (44.0 km)
Take a look at unforgettable things to do in Majlui, Assam.
Slowly emerging as a remarkable winter getaway in India, Agartala is indeed worth visiting. In spite of having so many megastructures, the second-largest city in North East India remains green and clean.
If you’re pondering about the places to visit in December in India, then including Agartala on your bucket list is an absolute must. The town portrays a perfect blend of natural beauty together with a rich and diverse culture.
Places to visit in Agartala
- Ujjayanta Palace – a former royal palace currently serving as the meeting point of the Tripura Legislative Assembly
- Tripurasundari Temple – One of the 51 Shakti Peeths
- Jampui Hill – a meeting with Mother Nature
- Neermahal Water Palace – a former royal palace amidst Rudrasagar
What not to miss in Agartala?
- Visit The Tripura Government State Museum.
- Trekking at Unakoti.
- Wildlife Safari at Sepahijala Nature Reserve.
- Explore Jagannath Bari.
- Boat Riding.
Best Time to visit Agartala
October to February offers the best sightseeing opportunities.
How to reach Agartala?
- By Air – Singerbhil Airport (10.8 km)
- Nearest Railway Station – Agartala Railway Station (6.5 km)
- By Road – Agartala (113 km)
Here is the list of some of the not-to-be-missed things to do in North East India.
Owing to picturesque valleys, hills, caves, lakes, and waterfalls, Meghalaya is undoubtedly the best winter getaway in India. Translating into the ‘Abode of clouds’, the stunning state keeps the visitors amused because of the best incredible sights, foods, activities, and festivals.
If not these, then the artistic weaving and intricate wood-carvings can definitely beguile the spectators. Meghalaya also tops the list of best places to visit in October for exuding ethereal scenic beauty during this month. Add to this, the picturesque waterfalls that flow with full might.
Places to visit in Meghalaya
- Mawsynram – one of the wettest places in the world
- Tura – a best-kept secret of Meghalaya
- Baghmara – a town replete with rich flora and fauna, lakes, hills and so much more
What not to miss in Meghalaya?
- Soak in the sublime beauty of the Jowai (especially of Krang Shuri Waterfall).
- Visit Williamnagar.
- Explore the Balpakram National Park.
Best Time to visit Meghalaya
The months between October and February provide opportunities to enjoy autumn as well as winter season. Hence, it is the best time to visit Meghalaya.
How to reach Meghalaya?
- By Air – Umroi or Shillong Airport (123.4 km)
- Via Train – Guwahati Railway Station (188.2 km)
- By Road – Shillong (97.9 km)
Meghalaya Tour Packages
Enjoying much of the fame because of a river with the same name, Dawki is a quaint town in Northeast India. The place helps your curate memories of a lifetime. Enjoy with your family while sailing across the Dwaki or Umngot River. Reckoned as one of the cleanest rivers in the world, Dawki stream, in fact, allows you to clearly see the bottom.
Places to visit in Dawki
- Jaflong Zero Point – one of the best tourist attractions in Meghalaya
- Dawki Bridge – a suspension bridge over the Umngot River
- Rymben Falls – a small yet enchanting waterfall
What not to miss in Dawki?
- Boating on the Dawki River.
- Explore the Mawshun Cave.
Best Time to visit Dawki
The best time to visit Dawki is between October and April, especially from December to January.
How to reach Dawki?
- By Air – Guwahati Airport (200 km)
- Nearest Railway Station – Guwahati Railway Station (171.9 km)
- By Road – Shillong (90 km)
Home to diverse indigenous tribes, Nagaland becomes alive, especially during December. The reason is quite obvious! Celebrated for over 10 days, the most popular Hornbill Festival falls in this month and raises the fun quotient.
Besides this, the never-ending exploration possibilities keep the entire family on toes. From wildlife sanctuaries to the heritage villages, you will find them all here. Indeed, Nagaland is one of the best places to visit this winter.
Places to visit in Nagaland
- Longwa Village Mon – home to a number of sightseeing places
- Dzukou Valley – famed as the Valley of Flowers, the site lures adventure enthusiasts from all over the world
- Kachari Ruins – a series if mushroom domed pillars whose origin and purpose are mysterious
- Fakim Wildlife Sanctuary – a haven for wildlife lovers
What not to miss in Nagaland?
- Get glimpses of the lifestyle of the tribes dwelling in Nagaland during many of its fairs and festivals.
- Try your luck as you embark on an enthralling wildlife safari to spot the Hoolock Gibbon.
- Motor Biking
- Pay homage to well-known pilgrimage sites.
Best Time to visit Nagaland
Although Nagaland can be visited throughout the year yet months between October and April are ideal to plan a visit.
How to reach Nagaland?
- By Air – Dimapur Airport (243.3 km)
- Via Train – Dimapur Railway Station (242.8 km)
- By Road – Assam (369.1 km)
Nagaland Tour Packages
Namdapha National Park
The largest protected area in the Eastern Himalayas biodiversity hotspot, the Namdapha National Park is fabled for various reasons. The third-largest national park in India is an ideal place to get close to nature. Moreover, it is also an excellent spot to explore the wildlife at its best.
Places to visit in Namdapha
- Miao Museum – the museum preserves the specimens of the animal collected from the park
- Raja Jheel – a small stream in the valley
- Moti Jheel – a small jheel perched atop a plateau
- Miao Mini Zoo – a zoo with numerous animals
What not to miss in Namdapha?
- Enjoy an elephant safari.
- Trekking and Boating
- Unwind in the lap of nature.
- Wildlife spotting.
Best Time to visit Namdapha
October to March is the best time to visit the Namdapha National Park.
How to reach Namdapha National Park?
- By Air – Mohanbari Airport (160 km)
- Via Train – Tinsukia Railway Station (140 km)
- By Road – Dibrugarh (227 km)
North East Wildlife Tour Packages
Nestled atop a hill, Mokokchung is an attractive hill station with many of its charms. Oozing with freshness and uniqueness, the town is one of the best winter holiday destinations. The calm offbeat villages in the town are nothing less than bliss for the seclusion seekers. Above all, the town allows you to rejuvenate yourself amidst the soothing environs and natural splendors.
Places to visit in Mokokchung
- Ungma Village – the oldest tribal village
- Longkhum Village – a village hemmed in by pine trees and rhododendrons
- Baptist Mother Church – one of the biggest churches of Nagaland
What not to miss in Mokokchung?
- Excursion to the Dikhu River.
- Unveil the mysteries of the Langpangkong Caves.
- Partake in the festivals celebrated in the village, especially Christmas.
- Unwind yourself at the Town Park.
Best Time to visit Mokokchung
Early summers and winters are the best seasons to visit Mokokchung. Keeping this in mind, the months between October and April are ideal to plan a trip.
How to reach Mokokchung?
- By Air – Jorhat Airport (57 km)
- Nearest Railway Station – Mariani Railway Station (85 km)
- By Road – Kohima (147.7 km)
Choose any of these best tourist places in North East India to plan family holidays, honeymoon vacations, or getaways with friends.
Top Sellin North East Tour Packages
[Plan your trip to North East India with some tastefully crafted North East Tour Packages]