Are you looking for weekend getaways from Mumbai? The city that never sleeps, recognized as the city of dreams and the largest city in India with plenty of attractions to visit. However, the busy lifestyle of the city claims your senses up to an extent. So you start looking for options to break the monotony and wish to enjoy your weekend somewhere else.
Whether you are looking for a family or solo trip or a romantic escape various beautiful places to visit near Mumbai beckon you to enjoy in calm surroundings; away from the city humdrum and chaos. So, here we bring you some hand-picked destinations near Mumbai to enjoy a perfect weekend with your loved ones.
Table of Content
Weekend Getaways Under 100 km
- Lonavala-Khandala – Panoramic Sights
- Matheran – Magnificence Overloaded
- Alibag – Indulge In Fun
- Kamshet – Fun Adventure Sports
- Karnala – A Paradise for Birdwatchers
Weekend Getaways Under 200 km
- Lohagad – Ancient Architecture
- Malshej Ghat – A Rejuvenating Retreat
- Pune – Oxford of the East
- Daman – For Peace Seekers
- Lavasa – The Private City
- Bhimashankar – Seek Blessings
- Kolad – Rishikesh of Maharashtra
- Igatpuri – A Peaceful Retreat
Weekend Getaways Under 300 km
- Mahabaleshwar – Magnificent Wonder of Nature
- Bhandardara – Spell Binding Views
- Nashik – A Sacred Stop
- Shirdi – For a Spiritual Experience
- Panchgani – Fun-Filled Break
- Satara – A Sneak-Peek into History
Weekend Getaways Under 400 km
Weekend Getaways Under 500 km
Beyond 500 Km
Weekend Getaways Near Mumbai Under 100 km
Lonavala-Khandala – Panoramic Sights
A short trips from Mumbai. Located at a short distance from Mumbai, Lonavala and Khandala are top-rated spots, preferred especially by nature lovers, road trippers, and photographers; Lonavala is surrounded by lush greenery, mountains, and valleys capped with mist, whereas Khandala is famous for its exquisite rock formations. Mumbaikars love, both these spots as they can enjoy mesmerizing natural beauty and many more recreational activities at these quaint hill stations and tourist places near Mumbai within 100 km..
- Places to Visit: Tiger’s Leap, Bushy Dam, Tungarli Lake, Tungarli Lake, Pavna Lake, Bedsa Caves, Duke’s Nose, Korigad For and Lonavala Lake
- Things to Do: Trekking, Photography, Biking, Camping
- Distance from Mumbai to Lonavala: 83 km (approx.)
- Travel Time: 1 hour, 50 minutes (approx.)
- Distance from Mumbai to Khandala: 80 km (approx.)
- Travel Time: 2 hours (approx.)
Matheran – Magnificence Overloaded
One of the best places to go near Mumbai, Matheran is famous for its soothing climate and well-preserved colonial architecture. Snuggled amidst the Sahyadri range on the Western Ghats, it is located at an altitude of about 2600 feet. This charming hill station is surrounded by lush green meadows,and blessed by a peaceful environment and untouched scenic beauty, and various viewing points that make it one of the weekend resorts near Mumbai to visit with family and friends.
- Places to Visit: Luisa Point, Echo Point, Heart Point, Malang Point, One Tree Hill, Charlotte Lake, etc.
- Things to Do: Toy Train Ride, Sightseeing, Trekking, Photography
- Distance from Mumbai: 83 km (approx.)
- Travel Time: 2 hours, 25 minutes (approx.)
Alibag – Indulge In Fun
Alibag, located in the south of Mumbai city is easily accessible, whether you visit it by ferry or road. This is one of the best places to visit near Mumbai for 2 days. Also known as Alibaug, it is famous for its beaches like Alibag and Varsoli, and several historical monuments. You can enjoy adventurous water sports and recreational activities at this famous spot.
- Places to Visit: Alibag Fort, Varsoli Beach, Hirakot Fort, Murud Janjira, Kolaba Fort, Kankeshwar Temple, Akshi Beach, Korlai Fort, Kihim Beach, etc.
- Things to Do: Water sports, Biking, Bird watching at Phansad Sanctuary
- Distance from Mumbai: 97 km (approx.)
- Travel Time: 2 hours, 35 minutes (approx.)
Kamshet – Fun Adventure Sports
A quaint hill station located at an altitude of about 2200 feet, Kamshet is preferred to be the best weekend getaways from Mumbai for couples and adventure lovers. The pleasant weather, dense forests, enchanting valleys, stunning waterfalls, and the spectacular beauty brimming with flourishing hills allow the visitors to enjoy quality time. If you are the kind of traveler who enjoys a relaxing weekend then Kamshet might just be calling out to you. Kamshet is also an adventure hub as it offers various thrilling activities to experience.
- Places to Visit: Pawna Lake, Bhandar Dongar, Magic Mountain, Kondeshwar Temple, Bedse Caves, Uksan Lake, Andra Valley Dam, Visapur fort, Bhaje Waterfalls, Ekvira, Panshet Water Park, and Bhairi Caves
- Things to Do: Paragliding, trekking, camping, cave exploration, photography
- Distance from Mumbai: 101 km (approx.)
- Travel Time: 2 hours, 10 minutes (approx.)
Karnala – A Paradise for Birdwatchers
Another absolutely amazing region, Karnala is one of those places to experience the best of nature. It is also one of the popular and ideal weekend getaways near Mumbai among families. You can enjoy a picnic with your loved ones amidst the beautiful surrounding. The dense jungles and mountainous regions make it a place that is considered a nature lovers abode. The 13th-century fort and the bird sanctuary are major attractions here. The Karnala Bird Sanctuary is home to a large number of endangered birds. During winters unusually early morning and evenings, you can spot birds, which you have never seen before. The panoramic views from the top of the Karnala Fort is a beauty to behold.
- Places to Visit: Karnala Bird Sanctuary, Karnal Fort, Shiva Temple
- Things to Do: Trekking, hiking, photography, meditation, bird watching, nature walk
- Distance from Mumbai: 48 km (approx.)
- Travel Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes (approx.)
Therefore, you have a host of options to choose from as you look forward to a weekend escape from Mumbai. So, which is your go to place first?
Weekend Getaways around Mumbai Under 200 km
Lohagad – Ancient Architecture
If you are interested in history, this spot is meant for you, a weekend retreat near Mumbai. Situated close to Lonavala and 52 km northwest of Pune, Lohagad rises to an altitude of more than 3,000 feet above sea level. Lohagad is popularly known as the Iron Fort, which is among many famous hill forts of Maharashtra and one of the popular places near Mumbai for a weekend.
- Places to Visit: Iron Fort
- Things to Do: Trekking, Photography, etc.
- Distance from Mumbai: 102 km (approx.)
- Travel Time: 2 hours, 17 minutes (approx.)
Pune – Oxford of the East
A perfect weekend destination near Mumbai, Pune is popularly known as the Oxford of the East. Nestled amidst the Sahyadri Hills on the Deccan plateau, Pune enjoys pleasant weather throughout the year. Due to its climatic condition, it was once the ‘monsoon capital’ under the British regime. Words are not enough to describe Pune. The historical sites, museums, educational hubs, famous shopping sites, and energetic ambiance make Pune a perfect weekend retreat.
- Places to Visit: Raja Dinkar Kelkar Museum, Dagaduseth Halwai Ganapati Temple, Karla Caves, Osho Ashram, Sinhagad Fort, Pataleshwar Cave Temple, Aga Khan Palace, etc.
- Things to Do: Sightseeing, Photography, Shopping
- Distance from Mumbai: 149 km (approx.)
- Travel Time: 5 hours, 34 minutes (approx.)
Malshej Ghat – A Rejuvenating Retreat
Surrounded by rich flora and fauna and one of the most liked spots of Mumbaikars, Malshej Ghat is a fascinating mountain pass located in the Western Ghats range on Thane-Ahmednagar Road. It is one of the best places to visit around Mumbai. Go for a road trip with your friends and enjoy the best scenic trip ever. The untouched spots, peaceful surroundings, trekking trails, waterfalls, lakes, and historical forts attract visitors to enjoy a perfect weekend.
- Places to Visit: Pimpalgaon Joga Dam, Malshej Falls, Shivneri Fort, etc.
- Things to Do: Trekking, Biking, Bird watching, Photography
- Distance from Mumbai: 126 km (approx.)
- Travel Time: 3 hours, 34 minutes (approx.)
Daman – For Peace Seekers
Daman is a wonderful small city in the union territory of Daman and Diu, and a perfect spot to enjoy an excellent weekend near Mumbai. The city is a cluster of pristine beaches, rich greenery, and scenic natural beauty. It is also famous for its Portuguese colonial architecture and ancient churches. The city serves liquor at budget rates as excise duty charged in Daman is relatively cheaper than in other states.
- Places to Visit: Jampore Beach, St. Jerome Fort, Jetty Garden, Bom Jesus Church, Dominican Monastery
- Things to Do: Sightseeing, Water Sports, Photography, etc.
- Distance from Mumbai: 177 km (approx.)
- Travel Time: 3 hours, 35 minutes (approx.)
Lavasa – The Private City
Lavasa is a private, planned city built near Pune and becoming a most popular weekend getaway from Mumbai. Lavasa is mostly liked by adventure freaks and peace-seekers. It is based on the model of Italian town Portofino, with a street and various buildings exhibiting the name of that town. The city is known for its artificial lake and the colorful buildings lining the waterfront. The pleasant weather and clean environment make Lavasa a popular tourist spot. Visitors can enjoy a luxurious weekend as the city boasts many tempting luxurious hotels and resorts. Pamper yourself with various Ayurveda massages as this planned town has several massage centers.
- Places to Visit: The Promenade, Tikona Fort, Varasgaon Dam, Temghar Dam, Ghangad Fort
- Things to Do: Sightseeing, Water Sports, Trekking, Mountain Biking, Rock climbing, Photography, etc.
- Distance from Mumbai: 177 km (approx.)
- Travel Time: 3 hours, 35 minutes (approx.)
Bhimashankar – Seek Blessings
Bhimashankar is located in the village Bhorgiri in the ghat region of the Sahyadri range and positioned at an altitude of around 3,000 feet. Bhimashankar is a popular temple town located in Maharashtra. The town is famous for its religious significance as one of the twelve Jyotirlingas of Lord Shiva falls in this town hence a large number of sojourners visit this holy town to seek the blessing of Lord Shiva. Along with its religious significance, the town is surrounded by hills and wrapped by dense green rainforests, which add more charm to this city. The town is also famous due to the Bhimashankar Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Places to Visit: Bhimashankar Temple, Solanpada Dam, Bhimashankar Wildlife Sanctuary
- Things to Do: Temple visit, Trekking, Sightseeing, Photography, Wildlife safari, etc.
- Distance from Mumbai: 196 km (approx.)
- Travel Time: 4 hours, 50 minutes (approx.)
Kolad – Rishikesh of Maharashtra
Located beside the banks of the glittering River Kundalika, this little village is simply heaven for the adrenaline junkies. Surrounded by stunning waterfalls, flourishing hills, ancient forts, and natural trails Kolad is also referred to as the Rishikesh of Maharashtra. It offers some of the best adventure activities to experience. The charm of the village magnifies during the monsoon season. The landscaping valleys of Kolad are a beauty to behold especially during the monsoon. Owing to exotic beauty and adventures, Kolad is among the top weekend getaways near Mumbai in the summer.
- Places to Visit: Bhira Dam, Ghosala Fort, Sutarwadi Lake, Tala Fort, Dholwal Dam, Kolad Museum, Kuda Caves, and Sukeli Waterfalls
- Things to Do: Kayaking, rappelling, trekking, camping, photography, nature walk
- Distance from Mumbai: 113 km (approx.)
- Travel Time: 2 hours, 55 minutes (approx.)
Igatpuri – A Peaceful Retreat
All those who admire scenic beauty and are fond of rain absolutely check out Igatpuri – a beautiful hill station near Nashik in Maharashtra. You will get to witness the beautiful nature, the calmness of this hill station once you reach here. Due to its peaceful environment, Igatpuri has an internationally acclaimed meditation center. This hill station is surrounded by verdant mountains and some of the highest peaks of Sahyadris, Igatpuri is a paradise for trekkers and explorers. It is one of the best monsoon weekend getaways from Mumbai as it experiences good rainfall turning the environment into a lively place. This hill station also remained a popular spot for film shootings.
- Places to Visit: Tringalwadi Fort, Ghatandevi Temple, Camel ValleyVipassana International Academy, Talegaon Lake, Kalsubai Peak, Amruteshwar Temple, Avandha Fort, Karoli Ghat, and Vaitarna Dam
- Things to Do: Trekking, ziplining, hiking, rappelling, nature walk, photography, meditation
- Distance from Mumbai: 187 km (approx.)
- Travel Time: 4 hours, 40 minutes (approx.)
Weekend Getaways near Mumbai Under 300 km
Mahabaleshwar – Magnificent Wonder of Nature
Mumbai to Mahabaleshwar is a great idea to enjoy a weekend. Mahabaleshwar is a hill station located in India’s forested Western Ghats range, south of Mumbai. This tranquil hill station near Mumbai once remained the summer capital under the British regime for the Bombay province. Mahabaleshwar is a heaven for nature lovers as the epitome of beauty is surrounded by rivers, ancient temples, waterfalls, evergreen dense forests, beautiful cascades, huge mountains, and green valleys. Mumbaikar loves this spot as it offers winding roads, strawberry farms, and pleasant climatic conditions throughout the year.
- Places to Visit: Pratapgad Fort, Venna Lake, Elphinstone Point, Wilson Point of Sunrise, Parsi Point
- Things to Do: Trekking, Sightseeing, Photography
- Distance from Mumbai: 263 km (approx.)
- Travel Time: 5 hours, 26 minutes (approx.)
Bhandardara – Spell Binding Views
Bhandardara is an amazing vacation retreat near Igatpuri in the Western Ghats of India. It is one of the best weekend getaways from Mumbai. Located amidst grand Sahyadri mountain ranges it surprises visitors by its lush greenery, striking scenery, and the promising Bhandardara Lake and Randha Falls. Bhandardara camping is very popular amongst the locals. This budget-friendly spot offers you amazing natural beauty, where you can soak in the serenity and unwind with your loved ones in tranquility.
- Places to Visit: Sandhan Valley, Bhandardara Lake, Arthur Lake, Randha Falls, Wilson Dam, etc.
- Things to Do: Sightseeing, Trekking, Photography
- Distance from Mumbai: 203 km (approx.)
- Travel Time: 5 hours, 45 minutes (approx.)
Nashik – A Sacred Stop
Nashik is one of the ancient holy cities in Maharashtra, popularly known as the wine capital of India. It is among the most preferred places around Mumbai, especially for wine lovers. Nashik is famous for the cultivation of grapes and the biggest supplier of grapes in India. The city is home to several vineyards and orchards along with some of the oldest vineyards such as the famous Sula Winery. You can enjoy refreshing wine tasting straight from the farms. Nashik is also religiously significant and attracts a lot of pilgrims. Visitors can also enjoy street food in the city.
- Places to Visit: Trisharmi (Pandav Leni) Buddhist Caves, Muktidham Mandir, Someshwar Water Fall, York Winery & Tasting Room, Ramshej Fort, Sita Gufa, etc.
- Things to Do: Sightseeing, Wine Tasting, Vineyard tours
- Distance from Mumbai: 206 km (approx.)
- Travel Time: 5 hours, 15 minutes (approx.)
Shirdi – For a Spiritual Experience
Placed in the Ahmednagar district of Maharashtra, Shirdi is renowned for the ancient Sai Baba Temple and one of the most popular temples towns in Maharashtra visited by pilgrims and tourists from across the country and Apart from the holy temple and historical village, the road trip to Shirdi offers fascinating views of lush green hills and boulevards. There are also various sacred sites to be visited in Shirdi like Shani Shignapur, Chavadi, Samadhi Mandir, and Dwarkamai Masjid. Shirdi is perfect weekend getaways near Mumbai for family.
- Places to Visit: Shri Sai Baba Samadhi Mandir, Sai Heritage Village, Sai Tirth Devotional Theme Park, Dixit Wada Museum, Shani Shingnapur, Gurusthan
- Things to Do: Sightseeing, Photography, Visiting Art Galleries, Museum
- Distance from Mumbai: 265 km (approx.)
- Travel Time: 6 hours, 30 minutes (approx.)
Panchgani – Fun-Filled Break
Panchgani is a hill station located in the southeast of Mumbai and a perfect weekend getaway from Mumbai city. Panchgani offers a pleasant climatic condition throughout the year. One can enjoy a peaceful weekend in the lap of nature. Overlooking the Sahyadri Mountains it is surrounded by huge mountains, tranquil valleys, soothing waterfalls, and rich green forests. Visitors can enjoy the road trip from the city to this charming hill station with striking views passing through the way. Panchgani is also famous for several points that offer mesmerizing sunset and sunrise views.
- Places to Visit: Parsi Point, Table Land, Sydney Point, Mapro Garden, Devrai Art Village
- Things to Do: Trekking, Paragliding, Sightseeing, Photography
- Distance from Mumbai: 245 km (approx.)
- Travel Time: 4 hours, 50 minutes (approx.)
Satara – A Sneak-Peek into History
Satara is a beautiful town located at the confluence of the rivers Krishna and Vena. If you are looking to unwind in a peaceful and historic destination amidst natural beauty, this is the place for you. The town is culturally rich as it is dotted with several historical landmarks including marvelous palaces and forts. During winter one can comfortably enjoy the sightseeing as the temperature remains pleasant. This place is popular among backpackers, historians, and art lovers. It is one of the best weekend getaways from Mumbai in December. The region of Satara is renowned for Kandi Pedha, a delicious dairy product, and a flowery meadow called Kaas Plateau, which holds its position in the list of World Heritage Sites.
- Places to Visit: Kaas Plateau, Pratapgarh Fort, Lingamala Falls, Ajinkyatara Fort, Mayani Bird Sanctuary, Kaas Lake, Koynanagar Dam, Shivsagar Lake, Thoseghar Falls, and Natraj Mandir
- Things to Do: Sightseeing, photography, meditation
- Distance from Mumbai: 256 km (approx.)
- Travel Time: 4 hours, 45 minutes (approx.)
Weekend Getaways near Mumbai Under 400 km
Ratnagiri – Check Out the Coast
Ratnagiri is a port town in Maharashtra, western India. Overlooking the Arabian Sea it is renowned for its cultivation of Alphanso Mango. Ratnagiri is adorned with hills, hot water springs, seashore, streams, stunning rivers, waterfalls, and dense forests. Another awesome gateway from Mumbai to enjoy a peaceful weekend with your loved ones. Apart from its natural beauty it also offers sightseeing of ancient forts and historical landmarks.
- Places to Visit: Bhatye Beach, Jaigad Fort, Swayambhu Ganapati Temple, Kunkeshwar Beach, Tilak Ali Museum, Thiba Palace, Guhagar Beach
- Things to Do: Basking on the beach, Sightseeing, mango Plantation Tour, Photography
- Distance from Mumbai: 328 km (approx.)
- Travel Time: 8 hours, 18 minutes (approx.)
Rajmachi – A Picturesque Hamlet
Rajmachi is a peaceful village situated in the Sahyadri mountain range of the Konkan region of Maharashtra. If you are looking to loosen yourself in a peaceful destination amidst natural beauty, this is the place for you. From the beautiful fort to unexplored caves this village has a lot to offer. You could choose to explore or simply unwind and enjoy the beautiful landscapes and greenery. Rajmachi is noted for the ancient fortress, which has two enclosed peaks – Shrivardhan and Manaranjan forts, placed near two prominent hills of Lonavala and Khandala. Rajmachi is an ideal place to enjoy trekking and hiking.
- Places to Visit: Rajmachi Fort, Krishna Koyna Pritisangam, Dongrai Buddhist Caves, and YC Botanical Garden
- Things to Do: Trekking, hiking, nature walk, cave exploration, photography
- Distance from Mumbai: 313 km (approx.)
- Travel Time: 5 hours, 50 minutes (approx.)
Weekend Getaways around Mumbai Under 500 km
Ajanta & Ellora – A Beauty to Behold
Ajanta and Ellora caves are noted as UNESCO World Heritage Sites and popular among travelers from all over the world. If you are interested in history then it is one of the best weekend getaways from Mumbai to enjoy. The Ajanta Caves are about 30 rock-cut Buddhist cave monuments whereas Ellora is one of the largest rock-cut monastery-temple cave complexes in the world, featuring Hindu, Buddhist, and Jain monuments, and artwork, dating from the 600–1000 CE period. The rock-cut of both the caves with beautiful carvings depict one of the best examples of ancient Indian architecture and sculpture.
- Places to Visit: Ajanta Caves, Grishneshwar Temple, Ellora Buddhist Caves, Bibi Ka Makbara, Jain Caves, and Khuldabad.
- Things to Do: Sightseeing, Photography
- Distance from Mumbai to Ajanta: 478 km (approx.)
- Travel Time: 11 hours (approx.)
- Distance from Mumbai to Ellora: 404 km (approx.)
- Travel Time: 8 hours, 23 minutes (approx.)
Amboli – Queen of Maharashtra
If you are looking for an offbeat destination, then Amboli is one of the best places to visit near Mumbai in winter. Amboli is a quaint hill station and popularly called the ‘Queen of Maharashtra’. Surrounded by verdant hills, mountain ranges of the Sahyadris, stunning waterfall, crawling streams Amboli attracts many romantic couples to admire its beauty. On the other hand, this quaint hill station also attracts visitors to those who seek peace on their vacation. It is one of the best ecological hotspots and abode to a rich flora and fauna.
- Places to Visit: Amboli Waterfalls, Madhavgad Fort, Shirgaonkar Point, Hiranya Keshi Temple, Nangarta Falls
- Things to Do: Trekking, sightseeing, photography
- Distance from Mumbai: 489 km (approx.)
- Travel Time: 8 hours, 40 minutes (approx.)
Beyond 500 Km
Goa – A Pocket Size Paradise
Goa is one of the awesome weekend getaways near Mumbai for couples to enjoy a memorable long weekend. Goa is renowned for its famous beaches, beach parties, adventurous water sports, Carnivals, beach shacks. Goa remains a former Portuguese colony and has many historical landmarks with the reminiscences of the old culture. Goa offers upscale areas with great seafood dining options, attractive shops, and luxury retreats.
- Places to Visit: Calangute Beach, Basilica of Bom Jesus, Fort Aguada, Baga Beach
- Things to Do: Water sports, Dolphin spotting, Sightseeing, Cycling, Biking, Sunset Cruising, etc.
- Distance from Mumbai: 581 km (approx.)
- Travel Time: 11 hours (approx.)
Tarakali – Beat the Heat
A peaceful and dynamic village located in the Malvan region, the western Indian state of Maharashtra. On the shores of the Arabian Sea. Tarkarli is one of the most popular weekend getaways from Mumbai. It is popular for its white sandy beaches and thrilling water sports. This village is surrounded by several beaches, natural beauty, and boasts a historical fort. If you are up for some blood-pumping adventure activities over the weekend trip, you would love to visit Tarkarli.
- Places to Visit: Tarkarli Beach, Sindhudurg Fort, Devbag Sangam Beach
- Things to Do: Basking on the beach, Scuba Diving, Snorkelling, Parasailing, Sightseeing, Photography, etc.
- Distance from Mumbai: 534 km (approx.)
- Travel Time: 10 hours, 50 minutes (approx.)