Last Updated on by Anand Raj
Are you looking for weekend getaways from Mumbai? The city that never sleeps, recognized as the city of dreams and the largest city in India with plenty of attractions to visit. However, the busy lifestyle of the city claims your senses up to an extent. So you start looking for options to break the monotony and wish to enjoy your weekend somewhere else.
Whether you are looking for a family or solo trip or a romantic escape various beautiful places to visit near Mumbai beckon you to enjoy in calm surroundings; away from the city humdrum and chaos. So, here we bring you some hand-picked destinations near Mumbai to enjoy a perfect weekend.
Mumbai to Mahabaleshwar is a great idea to enjoy a weekend. Mahabaleshwar is a hill station located in India’s forested Western Ghats range, south of Mumbai. This tranquil hill station once remained the summer capital under the British regime for the Bombay province. Mahabaleshwar is a heaven for nature lovers as the epitome of beauty is surrounded by rivers, ancient temples, waterfalls, evergreen dense forests, beautiful cascades, huge mountains, and green valleys. Mumbaikar loves this spot as it offers winding roads, strawberry farms, and pleasant climatic conditions throughout the year.
- Distance from Mumbai: 263 km
- Places to Visit: Pratapgad Fort, Venna Lake, Elphinstone Point, Wilson Point of Sunrise, Parsi Point
- Things to Do: Trekking, Sightseeing, Photography
Ajanta & Ellora
Ajanta and Ellora caves are noted as UNESCO World Heritage Sites and popular among travelers from all over the world. If you are interested in history then it is one of the best weekend getaways from Mumbai to enjoy. The Ajanta Caves are about 30 rock-cut Buddhist cave monuments whereas Ellora is one of the largest rock-cut monastery-temple cave complexes in the world, featuring Hindu, Buddhist, and Jain monuments, and artwork, dating from the 600–1000 CE period. The rock-cut of both the caves with beautiful carvings depict one of the best examples of ancient Indian architecture and sculpture.
- Distance from Mumbai: 342 km
- Places to Visit: Ajanta Caves, Grishneshwar Temple, Ellora Buddhist Caves, Bibi Ka Makbara, Jain Caves, and Khuldabad.
- Things to Do: Sightseeing, Photography
A short trips from Mumbai. Located at a short distance from Mumbai, Lonavala and Khandala are top-rated spots, preferred especially by nature lovers, road trippers, and photographers; Lonavala is surrounded by lush greenery, mountains, and valleys capped with mist, whereas Khandala is famous for its exquisite rock formations. Mumbaikars love, both these spots as they can enjoy mesmerizing natural beauty and many more recreational activities at these quaint hill stations and tourist places near Mumbai.
- Distance from Mumbai: 80 km
- Places to Visit: Tiger’s Leap, Bushy Dam, Tungarli Lake, Tungarli Lake, Pavna Lake, Bedsa Caves, Duke’s Nose, Korigad For and Lonavala Lake
- Things to Do: Trekking, Photography, Biking, Camping
One of the best places to go near Mumbai, Matheran is famous for its soothing climate and well-preserved colonial architecture. Snuggled amidst the Sahyadri range on the Western Ghats, it is located at an altitude of about 2600 feet. This charming hill station is surrounded by lush green meadows,and blessed by a peaceful environment and untouched scenic beauty, and various viewing points that make it one of the best getaways from Mumbai.
- Distance from Mumbai: 83 km
- Places to Visit: Luisa Point, Echo Point, Heart Point, Malang Point, One Tree Hill, Charlotte Lake, etc.
- Things to Do: Toy Train Ride, Sightseeing, Trekking, Photography
Goa is one of the awesome weekend getaways near Mumbai for couples to enjoy a memorable long weekend. Goa is renowned for its famous beaches, beach parties, adventurous water sports, Carnivals, beach shacks. Goa remains a former Portuguese colony and has many historical landmarks with the reminiscences of the old culture. Goa offers upscale areas with great seafood dining options, attractive shops, and luxury retreats.
- Distance from Mumbai: 588 km
- Places to Visit: Calangute Beach, Basilica of Bom Jesus, Fort Aguada, Baga Beach
- Things to Do: Water sports, Dolphin spotting, Sightseeing, Cycling, Biking, Sunset Cruising, etc.
Alibag, located in the south of Mumbai city is easily accessible, whether you visit it by ferry or road. This is one of the best places to visit near Mumbai for 2 days. Also known as Alibaug, it is famous for its beaches like Alibag and Varsoli, and several historical monuments. You can enjoy adventurous water sports and recreational activities at this famous spot.
- Distance from Mumbai: 94 km
- Places to Visit: Alibag Fort, Varsoli Beach, Hirakot Fort, Murud Janjira, Kolaba Fort, Kankeshwar Temple, Akshi Beach, Korlai Fort, Kihim Beach, etc.
- Things to Do: Water sports, Biking, Bird watching at Phansad Sanctuary
If you are interested in history, this spot is meant for you, a weekend retreat near Mumbai. Situated close to Lonavala and 52 km northwest of Pune, Lohagad rises to an altitude of more than 3,000 feet above sea level. Lohagad is popularly known as the Iron Fort, which is among many famous hill forts of Maharashtra and one of the popular places near Mumbai for a weekend.
- Distance from Mumbai: 99 km
- Places to Visit: Iron Fort
- Things to Do: Trekking, Photography, etc.
Surrounded by rich flora and fauna and one of the most liked spots of Mumbaikars, Malshej Ghat is a fascinating mountain pass located in the Western Ghats range on Thane-Ahmednagar Road. It is one of the best places to visit around Mumbai. Go for a road trip with your friends and enjoy the best scenic trip ever. The untouched spots, peaceful surroundings, trekking trails, waterfalls, lakes, and historical forts attract visitors to enjoy a perfect weekend.
- Distance from Mumbai: 126 km
- Places to Visit: Pimpalgaon Joga Dam, Malshej Falls, Shivneri Fort, etc.
- Things to Do: Trekking, Biking, Bird watching, Photography
A perfect weekend destinations near Mumbai. Pune is popularly known as the Oxford of the East. Nestled amidst the Sahyadri Hills on the Deccan plateau, Pune enjoys pleasant weather throughout the year. Due to its climatic condition, it was once the ‘monsoon capital’ under the British regime. Words are not enough to describe Pune. The historical sites, museums, educational hubs, famous shopping sites, and energetic ambiance make Pune a perfect weekend retreat.
- Distance from Mumbai: 148 km
- Places to Visit: Raja Dinkar Kelkar Museum, Dagaduseth Halwai Ganapati Temple, Karla Caves, Osho Ashram, Sinhagad Fort, Pataleshwar Cave Temple, Aga Khan Palace, etc.
- Things to Do: Sightseeing, Photography, Shopping
Bhandardara is an amazing vacation retreat near Igatpuri in the Western Ghats of India. It is one of the best weekend getaways from Mumbai. Located amidst grand Sahyadri mountain ranges it surprises visitors by its lush greenery, striking scenery, and the promising Bhandardara Lake and Randha Falls. Bhandardara camping is very popular amongst the locals. This budget-friendly spot offers you amazing natural beauty, where you can soak in the serenity and unwind with your loved ones in tranquility.
- Distance from Mumbai: 164 km
- Places to Visit: Sandhan Valley, Bhandardara Lake, Arthur Lake, Randha Falls, Wilson Dam, etc.
- Things to Do: Sightseeing, Trekking, Photography
Nashik is one of the ancient holy cities in Maharashtra, popularly known as the wine capital of India. It is among the most preferred places around Mumbai, especially for wine lovers. Nashik is famous for the cultivation of grapes and the biggest supplier of grapes in India. The city is home to several vineyards and orchards along with some of the oldest vineyards such as the famous Sula Winery. You can enjoy refreshing wine tasting straight from the farms. Nashik is also religiously significant and attracts a lot of pilgrims. Visitors can also enjoy street food in the city.
- Distance from Mumbai: 166 km
- Places to Visit: Trisharmi (Pandav Leni) Buddhist Caves, Muktidham Mandir, Someshwar Water Fall, York Winery & Tasting Room, Ramshej Fort, Sita Gufa, etc.
- Things to Do: Sightseeing, Wine Tasting, Vineyard tours
Daman is a wonderful small city in the union territory of Daman and Diu, and a perfect spot to enjoy an excellent weekend near Mumbai. The city is a cluster of pristine beaches, rich greenery, and scenic natural beauty. It is also famous for its Portuguese colonial architecture and ancient churches. The city serves liquor at budget rates as excise duty charged in Daman is relatively cheaper than in other states.
- Distance from Mumbai: 172 km
- Places to Visit: Jampore Beach, St. Jerome Fort, Jetty Garden, Bom Jesus Church, Dominican Monastery
- Things to Do: Sightseeing, Water Sports, Photography, etc.
Lavasa is a private, planned city built near Pune and becoming a most popular weekend getaway from Mumbai. Lavasa is mostly liked by adventure freaks and peace-seekers. It is based on the model of Italian town Portofino, with a street and various buildings exhibiting the name of that town. The city is known for its artificial lake and the colorful buildings lining the waterfront. The pleasant weather and clean environment make Lavasa a popular tourist spot. Visitors can enjoy a luxurious weekend as the city boasts many tempting luxurious hotels and resorts. Pamper yourself with various Ayurveda massages as this planned town has several massage centers.
- Distance from Mumbai: 187 km
- Places to Visit: The Promenade, Tikona Fort, Varasgaon Dam, Temghar Dam, Ghangad Fort
- Things to Do: Sightseeing, Water Sports, Trekking, Mountain Biking, Rock climbing, Photography, etc.
Bhimashankar is located in the village Bhorgiri in the ghat region of the Sahyadri range and positioned at an altitude of around 3,000 feet. Bhimashankar is a popular temple town located in Maharashtra. The town is famous for its religious significance as one of the twelve Jyotirlingas of Lord Shiva falls in this town hence a large number of sojourners visit this holy town to seek the blessing of Lord Shiva. Along with its religious significance, the town is surrounded by hills and wrapped by dense green rainforests, which add more charm to this city. The town is also famous due to the Bhimashankar Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Distance from Mumbai: 196 km
- Places to Visit: Bhimashankar Temple, Solanpada Dam, Bhimashankar Wildlife Sanctuary
- Things to Do: Temple visit, Trekking, Sightseeing, Photography, Wildlife safari, etc.
Placed in the Ahmednagar district of Maharashtra, Shirdi is renowned for the ancient Sai Baba Temple and one of the most popular temples towns in Maharashtra visited by pilgrims and tourists from across the country and Apart from the holy temple and historical village, the road trip to Shirdi offers fascinating views of lush green hills and boulevards. There are also various sacred sites to be visited in Shirdi like Shani Shignapur, Chavadi, Samadhi Mandir, and Dwarkamai Masjid. Shirdi is perfect weekend getaways near Mumbai for family.
- Distance from Mumbai: 238 km
- Places to Visit: Shri Sai Baba Samadhi Mandir, Sai Heritage Village, Sai Tirth Devotional Theme Park, Dixit Wada Museum, Shani Shingnapur, Gurusthan
- Things to Do: Sightseeing, Photography, Visiting Art Galleries, Museum
Panchgani is a hill station located in the southeast of Mumbai and a perfect weekend getaway from Mumbai city. Panchgani offers a pleasant climatic condition throughout the year. One can enjoy a peaceful weekend in the lap of nature. Overlooking the Sahyadri Mountains it is surrounded by huge mountains, tranquil valleys, soothing waterfalls, and rich green forests. Visitors can enjoy the road trip from the city to this charming hill station with striking views passing through the way. Panchgani is also famous for several points that offer mesmerizing sunset and sunrise views.
- Distance from Mumbai: 244 km
- Places to Visit: Parsi Point, Table Land, Sydney Point, Mapro Garden, Devrai Art Village
- Things to Do: Trekking, Paragliding, Sightseeing, Photography
Ratnagiri is a port town in Maharashtra, western India. Overlooking the Arabian Sea it is renowned for its cultivation of Alphanso Mango. Ratnagiri is adorned with hills, hot water springs, seashore, streams, stunning rivers, waterfalls, and dense forests. Another awesome gateway from Mumbai to enjoy a peaceful weekend with your loved ones. Apart from its natural beauty it also offers sightseeing of ancient forts and historical landmarks.
- Distance from Mumbai: 326 km
- Places to Visit: Bhatye Beach, Jaigad Fort, Swayambhu Ganapati Temple, Kunkeshwar Beach, Tilak Ali Museum, Thiba Palace, Guhagar Beach
- Things to Do: Basking on the beach, Sightseeing, mango Plantation Tour, Photography
A peaceful and dynamic village located in the Malvan region, the western Indian state of Maharashtra. On the shores of the Arabian Sea. Tarkarli is one of the most popular weekend getaways from Mumbai. It is popular for its white sandy beaches and thrilling water sports. This village is surrounded by several beaches, natural beauty, and boasts a historical fort. If you are up for some blood-pumping adventure activities over the weekend trip, you would love to visit Tarkarli.
- Distance from Mumbai: 537 km
- Places to Visit: Tarkarli Beach, Sindhudurg Fort, Devbag Sangam Beach
- Things to Do: Basking on the beach, Scuba Diving, Snorkelling, Parasailing, Sightseeing, Photography, etc.
Therefore, you have a host of options to choose from as you look forward to a weekend escape from Mumbai. So, which is your go to place first?