Camel is known as the ‘Ship of the Desert’. In the desert, these creatures survive easily. Pushkar in Rajasthan is a place here these gentle beasts are found in great numbers. The small town of the desert state is a holy place, mostly visited for the sacred Pushkar Lake and the Brahma temple but it is also renowned for Camel Safari. Every year visitors from the far ends of the world come here for the exciting camel safari in Pushkar sand dunes.
The Great Indian Desert of Rajasthan can be explored using camels. It is an exciting experience one should certainly try in a lifetime. On the back of the desert animals one can explore the breathtaking landscape. The Aravalli Mountain Range is one of the World's oldest. Sprawled in Pushkar’s landscape, the desert has sandy fields, small dunes and beautiful hills.
Camel Safari is an adventure which takes you through the golden sands of the vast Thar Desert. It provides the glimpse of the desert lifestyle through remote villages. Special cultural performances on the sand dunes, luxurious camps, traditional Rajasthani meals, all together make Camel Safaris in Pushkar a memorable adventure tour in India.
Best Time for Safari
Camel safari in Pushkar is available throughout the year. In the winter months, from October to March is a good time to plan out camel safaris. The summer months are too hot to embark out on the sandy terrain. The best time for Pushkar camel safari is undoubtedly the mesmerizing Pushkar fair held in November. It is the biggest gathering of camels.
The best time for camel safari is during sunset or sunrise. The golden light of the sun creates a magical beauty which you shall definitely cherish.
There are different camel safaris. There are full day rides, half day rides, and sunrise and sunset tours. Camel rides can take you to nearby villages, plan out magical dinner in desert landscape and make a worthwhile holiday. Camel safari in Pushkar is a magical experience as you get to marvel at the desert seated at the back of the creature of the desert.
General Riding Instructions
The camel is a tame animal, however care must be taken. Follow instructions to make Camel Safari in Pushkar as comfortable and safe as possible.
- When mounting the camel, lean back and make sure you are comfortable in your saddle.
- When the camel stands up or sits down, lean back again and hold the reins (mori) tightly.
- Always hold the reins when riding, as you will be rocked gently back and forth.
- When turning right pull the right rein gently into the right direction, when turning left pull the left one to the left.
- For galloping pull both reins together slowly and give the camel a slight kick on both sides with your legs.
- To make the camel stop, pull both reins backward quickly.
- To make the camel sit down pull both reins and mouth the word "Jhu Jhu".
- To get it walking again just pull the reins up again.
Pay attention to the demonstration of the camel ride. Never provoke a camel or give it any sort of food without permission.
What to Bring With You
- A hat, cap or turban
- Sunscreen and sunglasses
- Long-sleeve shirt, long trousers, sneakers or other type of solid shoes.
- Camera and film
- Medical kit (for just in case)
- In the winter season, warm clothes for the night.