When some of the best beaches of Kerala are flagged with prestigious Blue Flag Certification, the hype to enjoy watersports in Kerala beaches increases by tenfold. So leave your brain in vacation mode in God’s Own Country with the best water sports on Kerala beaches. Satiate your affinity for longing salt air in your hair, ocean devotion in your heart.
Articulate the feeling of a gentle breeze ruffling your hair in Kerala at the best beaches in Kerala for watersports. Roughly 600 kilometers (approx.) Arabian Sea Coastline of Kerala has many beautiful beaches that are a destination in themselves and are the pride of Kerala tourism.
If you are done with adulting, become mermaids with your near or dear ones in Kerala. Often crowned as ‘God’s Own Symphony,’ Kerala is for beach babe and mountain person. The uniqueness of Kerala is such that the first day you can wake up to the sounds of the crashing waves of the Malabar Coastline from the southwestern coast of the Arabian Sea, and the next day you would love to behold the sunrise over the craggy peaks of Western Ghats drenched with lush greenery.
I Do Believe It’s Time to Try Unique Watersports in Kerala
Hands down, because Kerala's appeal takes no time to astonish tourists with its eco-friendly tourism approach and the Malabar Coastline.
If you dare to leave the shoreline of Kerala, there are several other common water fun activities in Kerala that you could combine with beach watersports like river rafting, snake boat racing, bamboo rafting, houseboat cruise on backwaters.
Best Watersports in Kerala for Unfathomable Adrenaline Rush
Kerala is one of the best paradises in India for the aquatic sports lover. Here is a list of the best watersports in Kerala:
1. Kayaking in Backwaters, Rivers, Beaches
Choose recreational kayaking in Kerala in the backwaters of Alleppey, Kovalam, Kumarakom. You can also go paddling in the lake or at the beaches of Kerala. Chalipuzzha River is one of the longest rivers in Kerala, where you can enjoy whitewater kayaking. There are kayaking schools in Kerala where you can learn beforehand tips of whitewater kayaking and sea kayaking which are often moderate level watersports at Kerala compared to backwaters kayaking in Kerala.
- Cost of Kayaking in Kerala: Starts from ₹ 500 - ₹ 3000 per head for roundup trip
- Kayaking Timings in Kerala: 8 AM - 7 PM
- Best Season or Time for Kayaking in Kerala: January to May, October to December
Kayaking Places in Kerala: Alleppey, Challipuzza River, Marari Beach, Alappuzha Beach, Kovalam Beach.
2. Paragliding in Varkala Beach
Turn your desire to fly like a bird in the free cobalt blue skies by trying paragliding in Kerala. Although you can enjoy paragliding in Kerala in the Western Ghats regions like Munnar and Vagamon, there is something special about paragliding in Varkala Beach in Kerala as you can admire the views of the blue Arabian Sea on one side and picturesque cliff on the side where you would take the leap of faith. Moreover, if you take the paragliding activity in the evening, the sapphire blue skies and the orangy sunset reflecting its rays on the blue Arabian sea will seize your mind with amazement.
- Required Age for Paragliding in Varkala Beach: Above 18 years (approx.)
- Paragliding in Varkala Beach Starts At: Northern Cliff (Adjacent to the Varkala Beach)
- Paragliding Beach in Varkala Ends At: Varkala Beach or sometimes back to the helipad.
- Best Season time for Paragliding in Varkala Beach: Early/post-monsoon, summer, winter
- Paragliding Duration at Varkala Beach: 15 - 20 minutes (approx.)
Cost of Paragliding at Varkala Beach: ₹ 3,500 (approx.) onwards per person.
3. Scuba Diving in Kovalam
Keep your waterproof camera handy to explore the teeming underwater life of the Southwest Malabar Coast. Swim beneath the blue waters of the Blue Flagged Beaches of Kerala in Kovalam, Trivandrum, Kochi. The enigma of witnessing coral and marine plants under the Arabian Sea is a unique experience to cherish in God’s Own Country. Scuba diving in Kerala is a totally safe activity under the experts' where the divers first take diving lessons at the diving schools and then jump into the shallow protected sea zones with tanks filled with compressed air for easy breathing under the waters.
- Scuba Diving Cost in Kovalam: Start at ₹ 3,000 (approx.) onwards
- Scuba Diving Timings in Kerala: 9 AM - 5 PM (subject to change)
- How to Reach Scuba Diving Point: Via boat ride of 60 minutes (approx.) from the pickup point
- Underwater Activity Duration: 15-25 minutes (approx.) with instructor
- Minimum Age for Scuba Diving in Kerala: Above 12 years (approx.) and subject to change
Best Season or Time for Kayaking in Kerala: January to May, October to December.
4. Catamaran Sailing in Alleppey, Varkala, Kovalam
The fishing community of Kerala is known to make traditional Catamaran Boats that resemble the yacht. Corporate group travelers or family travelers would love to sail the Catamaran in Alleppey, Varkala, and Kovalam. The Cherai Beach of Kochi is one of the best places for Catamaran Sailing in Kerala. Enjoy the ride as you sit in the small wooden vessel and either cruise the palm-fringed backwaters or the beach Catamaran ride.
- Catamaran Sailing Cost in Kerala: Start at ₹ 3,000 (approx.) onwards
- Catamaran Sailing Timings in Kerala: 8 AM - 7 PM (subject to change)
- Catamaran Sailing Duration: 30 - 60 minutes (approx.) with instructor
- Seating Capacity of Catamaran Boat: 40 people (approx.)
Best Season or Time for Catamaran Sailing in Kerala: January to May, October to December.
5. Windsurfing in Kovalam, Kochi
Hear the crashing sounds of the waves while surfing the blue waves of the Arabian Sea forming Cherai Beach in Kerala, which is one of the best places in India for windsurfing. This watersports in Kerala allows you to surf through the Arabian Sea Coastline while also maneuvering the winds. This extreme adventure sport, the combination of sailing and surfing, is not for the novice and faint-hearted person. Also, the Kovalam Beach gets big swells, and both the windsurfing places in Kerala got surfing clubs.
Windsurfing Sailing Cost in Kerala: Start at ₹ 3,000 (approx.) onwards
Windsurfing Timings in Kerala: 10 AM - 6 PM (subject to change)
Windsurfing Duration: 45 - 60 minutes (approx.)
Best Season or Time for Windsurfing in Kerala: January to May, October to December.
Important Tips to Enjoy Watersports in Kerala
- Kerala has two monsoons - Southwest and Northeast.
- Northeast monsoon starts from October till November, and watersports could be enjoyed due to less rainfall.
- Kayaking or any other watersports in Kerala is not suggested during the Southwest monsoon from June to August.
- Enjoy watersports only under the supervision of certified experts.
- Listen to your instructor before the activity.
- Compare the price for the best deals.
- Don’t opt for the waterports in the peak monsoon, no matter how lucrative the deal is.