Enjoy a tour to Virudunagar, a small town located 45 km southwest of Madurai in Tamil Nadu. Virudhunagar is the headquarters of Virudhunagar District. Also located in Virudhunagar is Sivakasi, known as Little Japan for its bustling activities in the cracker industry. Besides, Virudhunagar produces an array of things ranging from edible oil to plastic-wares.
Tourist attractions in Virudunagar
- Shenbagathope Grizzled Squirrel Sanctuary: The sanctuary is home to the endangered, arboreal grizzled giant squirrel Ratufa macrora, as also a variety of birds, mammals, reptiles and butterflies.
- Kamaraj's House: The house where the great leader Kamaraj and former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu was born has been converted into a memorial.
- Bhuminathaswamy Temple: Situated 40 km east from Virudhunagar, this temple at Tiruchuli is one of the 14 famous Shaiva centres in Pandya Nadu.
- Ramana Maharishi Ashram: This ashram was established in 1988 on the banks of the river Gundar to propagate the teachings of Sri Ramana Maharishi.
- Andal - Vadabadrasayi koil: This temple, built by the Nayak Kings, is also known as The Lord of Srivilliputtur or Rangtapatram, on which the Lord rests in the form of a baby during deluge.
The climate of the region is semi-arid tropical monsoon type. The best time to visit Virudhunagar is between the months of December and March.
How To Reach
- By air: The nearest airport is the Madurai Airport in Tamil Nadu.
- By rail: The closest railway station is located at Madurai.
- By road: Virudhunagar is well connected by road to Madurai, and several major places in Tamil Nadu.
Virudhunagar is famous for its hotels and delectable food, especially the evening Parotta. There are some very good places to put up at during a tour to Virudhunagar.