The city of Cuddapah is located in the state of Andhra Pradesh in the southern part of India. Cuddapah was a part of the Chola Empire between the 11th and the 15th Century. The Muslims conquered Cuddapah in 1565 and again the British government took over this city in 1800. Cuddapah is a district administrative center and is good market for peanuts, melons and cotton. Barite is processed in Cuddapah and paint and varnish are also manufactured here.
The city of Cuddapah is surrounded by the districts of Nellore, Anantapur and Chittoor on the east, west and southern side respectively. To the north lie the districts of Kurnool and Prakasam.
The Bhagavan Mahavir Government Museum in Cuddapah is a significant historical and archaeological museum. It houses very precious bronze icons, prehistoric stone sculptures and very old inscriptions dating back to several centuries.
The Venkateshwara Wildlife Sanctuary is located in Rajampet of Cuddapah district. This national park is popular for very rare and slender Lories and plant species like Sandalwood, Shorea, Redsandars and Thumbergiana.
The Gandikota Fort, in Cuddapah, according to a legendary story, was founded in 1123 A.D. The fort played a major role during the Kakatiya, Vijayanagara and Qutub Shahi periods.
The Pushpagiri Temples are group of temples, which were built on the banks of Pennar, during the Vijayanagara period. Among all the temples here, the most famous is the Chennakesava Swamy Temple.
Sri Kodanda Temple is dedicated to Sri Kodanda Ramaswamy and is famous for its splendid architecture and a majestic gateway. The temple is situated in Vontimitta town, at a distance of 25 kilometers from Cuddapah.
The other important places in Cuddapah are Tallapaka Temples, Sri Lanka Sanctuary, Ramappa Lake Top and Kandimallayapalli.
How to reach:
Cuddapah can be reached by Hyderabad, Chennai, Bangalore and Tirupati airports. Situated at a distance of 405 kilometers from the capital city Hyderabad, Cuddapah is well connected by railways and roads.