Idukki is a high range district of Kerala. Nestled amidst mountain ranges of the Western Ghats, Idukki is encircled by three rivers called Thodupuzhayar, Periyar, and Thalayar. Come on a Idukki Tour, and you will have a memorable experience in this picturesque land dotted with green valleys, murmuring streams, rippling waterfalls, and a typical wildlife.
Tourist Attractions in Idukki
Following are some of the famous tourist attractions in Idukki, which you can explore while on a Idukki Tour -
Come on a Idukki Tour, using the following means of transport -
If you are about to travel to Idukki in the near future, Indian Holiday can help you plan your trip. For a Idukki Tour, just get in touch with us for the tour booking, tour packages and more travel information. Moreover, we offer prices that are among the best you can come across during your travel to India.
Indianholiday.com can help you plan your Kerala tour. Find all you want to know about Idukki Tour and our customized tour packages. For further information, please enter your query in the form.
- Idukki Wildlife Sanctuary: This is one of the most beautiful wildlife sanctuaries in Kerala, rich in flora and fauna. The sanctuary is surrounded by a tranquil lake, covered by a captivating canopy of tropical ever-green and deciduous trees. You can enjoy a boat ride on the lake. A variety of animals and birds, and different species of snakes can be seen here.
- Idukki Arch Dam: The world's second and Asia's first arch dam, this dam, is built on the Periyar River, across the Kuravan and Kurathi hills. The dam is 550 ft high and 650 ft wide.
- Kuthumkal Waterfalls: This breath-taking waterfall cascading down from dazzling heights is a stunning sight, attracting hordes of tourists every year.
- Thattekkadu Bird Sanctuary: This famed bird sanctuary, situated on the Periyar riverbanks, hosts more than 200 varieties of birds. Apart from exotic birds, the sanctuary is home to different sorts of fishes.
How to reach Idukki
- By air: The nearest airport is the Cochin International Airport (132 km).
- By rail: The Kottayam Railway Station, 133 km away, is the closest railhead.
- By road: Idukki is well-connected by a vast network of roads to several tourist centers in Kerala, as the NH-49 (Kochi-Madura) passes through Idukki district. You can avail of KSRTC (Kerala State Road Transport Corporation) operated buses from Thodupuzha, the major town in the district.