Blessed with tremendous natural beauty and sprawling landscapes, Gangtok is the largest city in Sikkim. This stunning hill station lies 5500 feet above sea level and is the capital city of Sikkim. One of India's most popular tourist destinations, this scenic hill town is known for its salubrious weather and lush surroundings. Various other allures are counted in the list of tourist attractions in Gangtok. This cosmopolitan town is a must-visit if you want a peaceful vacation clubbed with memorable experiences.
Extremely popular for offering magnificent views of the mighty Khangchendzonga Mountain, Gangtok attractions are worth visiting. Apart from the viewpoints, the city has several monasteries, stupas, beautiful views, floral exhibitions, lakes, varied exotic flora and fauna, Tibetology institutes, etc. Remember to shop for beautiful stuff at Lal Bazaar and MG Marg market. The place is a perfect mix of cultural vibes and modern allures. Take a look at famous attractions in Gangtok that you can explore during the trip:
Best Tourist Attractions in Gangtok
One of the most popular places in Gangtok, Nathu La Pass, is a mountain pass in the Dongkyu range of the Himalayas that connects Sikkim with the Tibet Autonomous Region. In ancient times, this pass was built as a part of the Silk Road, the principal trade route worldwide. Nathula Pass was covered with snow for 7 to 8 months. It connected Kalimpong and Gangtok with the quaint villages of lower Chumbi Valley. On clear days, tourists can enjoy the breathtaking views of the mighty Himalayas from the past.
- Location: Nathu La, Sikkim – China-Tibet Autonomous Region
- Opening hours: 24 hours (Wednesday to Sunday.)
- Major attractions: Gnathang Monastery, Gnathang War Memorial, Golf Course at Kulup, and market at Sherathang
- Best Time To Visit: May to October
Note: Indian nationals are required to issue permits to visit Nathula Pass. Foreign nationals are not allowed to visit Nathula Pass.
For Gangtok local sightseeing, MG Marg is among the best tourist attractions to include in the itinerary. This colorful street has restaurants, cafes, and food joints, making it a paradise for food lovers. MG Marg is a perfect place to feast on delectable delicacies, including Asian, Tibetan, and Nepalese cuisines. In addition, it is considered the town center of Gangtok and a fantastic place for shopping.
- Location: MG Marg, Gangtok, Sikkim - 737103
- Opening hours: 10:00 AM to 11:00 PM
- Major attractions: Tsuglagkhang Monastery, Lounge 31A, 9INE Native Cuisine, and Bakers Cafe
- Best Time To Visit: October to December
Baba Harbhajan Singh Memorial Temple
Nestled amidst Nathu La Pass and Jelep La Pass, Baba Harbhajan Singh's Memorable Temple is dedicated to a soldier martyr during the Sino War. Harbhajan Singh was a soldier posted here who died during the war defending the country. His spirit is believed to guard the post and protect every soldier in this inhospitable terrain. To this belief, the Indian Army treated him as a soldier who never died and continued to serve in the army. He continued receiving his rank duty until he 'retired' from the military. This is among the significant attractions in Gangtok, where the photograph of Harbhajan Singh can be seen.
- Location: MG Marg, Gangtok, Sikkim - 737103
- Opening hours: 6:00 AM – 8:00 PM
- Major attractions: Nathula Pass, Jelep La Pass, Bholenath Waterfall, Nathula Lake, and Sarathang Lake
- Best Time To Visit: April to June
Ban Jhakri Waterfall
Ban Jhakri Waterfall is a popular picnic place in Gangtok in a park near Ranka Monastery. This is a paradise for nature lovers and peace-seekers where they can rejuvenate amidst serene environs. The lush greenery and pristine landscape offer scenic views. This recreation center was believed to be a place of traditional shamanic healers. This is also an energy park, and the natural energy production site of the park is worth a visit. It is counted as one of the best places to see in Gangtok to enjoy a picnic.
- Location: Near SNT Bus Station, Gangtok, Sikkim - 737103
- Opening hours: 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM (Monday to Saturday)
- Major attractions: Ban Jhakri Falls Energy Park, Boating Center, Ranka Monastery, and Bakthang Waterfall.
- Best Time To Visit: October to February
Dedicated to Lord Hanuman, this is one of the revered temples in Gangtok that many tourists and devotees visit. The Indian Army maintains this shrine and offers an enthralling view of the surroundings. This age-old Hanuman Temple also offers a majestic view of Mount Kanchenjunga, making it among Sikkim's best places to visit. It was established in 1952 and is a perfect place to soak in spirituality. According to the legends, this is where Lord Hanuman rested while going to Dunagiri mountain to get Sanjeevani to save Laxman, brother of Lord Ram. While enjoying Gangtok local sightseeing, this place must be covered because it has excellent spiritual significance.
- Location: Hanuman Tok, Gangtok, Sikkim - 737103
- Opening hours: 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Major attractions: Ganesh Tok, Khangchendzonga Biosphere Reserve, Sikkim Himalayan Zoological Park, and Enchey Monastery
- Best Time To Visit: January to March
Himalayan Zoological Park
Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park is popularly known as Himalayan Zoological Park, among the popular Gangtok tourist places. It is an ideal destination for nature lovers, families, kids, and thrill-seekers. This is a paradise for wildlife lovers as it is home to some exotic species of birds and animals. It was established in 1952 and offered numerous types of activities to visitors. Trekking, wildlife safari, and bird watching are among the best things to do here. This park is well-maintained and a perfect getaway from the hustle-bustle of city life.
- Location: Bulbulay, East Sikkim, Gangtok, Sikkim - 737103
- Opening hours: 9 AM – 4 PM from Monday – Saturday
- HMI Museum, Padmaja Zoological Gardens, and Shrubbery Nightingale Park are major attractions.
- Best Time To Visit: February and March
Also known as Lingdum Monastery, Ranka Monastery is a regal gompa that spreads over a vast area and follows Buddhism's Zurmang Kagyud lineage. This is among the most famous Buddhist monasteries in Gangtok, known for its architectural beauty and glorious past. The sanctuary complex has another 2-story building where lamas attend classes. This is also one of Sikkim's most pictorial monasteries, encompassed by lush forest and scenic beauty. This quaint monastery is situated away from crowded places. Hence, it is one of the best Gangtok tourist places that offer tranquility.
- Location: Ranka Road, Gangtok, Sikkim - 737103
- Opening hours: 6 AM – 6 PM
- Major attractions: Ban Jhakri Waterfall and Bakthang Waterfall.
- Best Time To Visit: October to November. March to May
Tashi View Point
Famous for its sunrise and sunset views, Tashi View Point is another central Gangtok sightseeing place to add to their itinerary. It is a paradise for photography buffs as it offers breathtaking views of the surroundings. Without any question, this Gangtok picnic spot is surely a spot-on destination for relaxation and scenic views. On a clear day, one can also spot Mount Kanchenjunga, the third-highest mountain in the world. In addition, some eateries near this place make it a popular picnic place in Gangtok among families, kids, and couples.
- Location: Near Bakthang Waterfall, Gangtok, Sikkim - 737103
- Opening hours: 24-hours
- Major attractions: Bakthang Falls, Ganesh Tok, and Hanuman Tok.
- Best Time To Visit: March to June
Inaugurated in 2003, Gangtok Ropeway is among the famous tourist attractions in Gangtok that allow people to enjoy the ropeway ride and have a bird's eye view of the city. It covers a distance of 2 km to and fro. It has three terminal stations, namely Tashiling, Namnang, and Deorali. Deorali is the base station from which one can board the ropeway and go to Tashiling, the highest point.
- Location: Near Institute of Tibetology, Gangtok, Sikkim - 737103
- Opening hours: 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM
- Major attractions: Gangtok Market, Institute of Tibetology, Namnang View Point, and Tashiling View Point.
- Best Time To Visit: March to June
Flower Exhibition Center Ridge Park
It features a variety of flowers; the Flower Exhibition Center is located below Ridge Park and across White Memorial Hall. Some of the popular species of fresh orchids one can spot here are Anthurium and Lilium. The refreshing fragrance of flowers makes this place enchanting and perfect for nature lovers. This is among the best tourist places in Gangtok for families and couples. They can delve into the scenic environs and enjoy the pleasant ambiance.
- Location: Arithang, Gangtok, Sikkim - 737103
- Opening hours: 9:00 AM – 5:15 PM
- Major attractions: Tsuglagkhang Monastery, Enchey Monastery, Mainam Garden, and Lal Bazaar.
- Best Time To Visit: March and June
These Gangtok places to visit let you enjoy the natural beauty, thrilling adventure, spirituality, and scenic views. You can browse our Gangtok tour packages to get the best travel experience in North East India. We provide meals, accommodations, transfers, and sightseeing tours to give you the next level of comfort for your Gangtok tour. Moreover, you can customize the tour per your requirements to get the best of the tour as you like.