Blessed with the tremendous natural beauty and sprawling landscapes, Gangtok is the largest city of Sikkim. This stunning hill station lies at an altitude of 5500 feet above sea level and is the capital city of Sikkim. One of the most popular tourist destinations of India, this scenic hill town is known for its salubrious weather, lush surroundings, and various other allures that are counted in the list of tourist attractions in Gangtok. This cosmopolitan town is a must-visit if you are looking for a peaceful vacation clubbed with memorable experiences.
Extremely popular for offering magnificent views of the mighty Khangchendzonga Mountain, Gangtok has various attractions that are worth visiting. The city has a number of monasteries, stupas, wonderful viewpoints, floral exhibitions, lakes, varied exotic flora and fauna, Tibetology institutes, etc. Do not forget to shop for some wonderful stuff at Lal bazaar and M.G. Marg market here. The place is a wonderful mix of cultural vibes and modern allures. Take a look at popular attractions in Gangtok that you can explore during the trip:
Best Tourist Attractions in Gangtok
One of the most popular places to visit in Gangtok, Nathula Pass is a mountain pass in the Dongkyu range of the Himalayas that connects Sikkim with Tibet Autonomous Region. In ancient times, this pass was built as a part of the Silk Road, which was the major trade route across the world. Nathula Pass was covered with snow for 7 to 8 months. It connected Kalimpong and Gangtok with the quaint villages of lower Chumbi Valley. On clear days, tourists can enjoy the breathtaking views of the mighty Himalayas from the pass.
- Location: Nathu La, Sikkim – China-Tibet Autonomous Region
- Opening hours: 24-hours (Wednesday to Sunday.)
- Major attractions: Gnathang Monastery, Gnathang War Memorial, Golf Course at Kulup, and market at Sherathang
- Best Time To Visit: May to October
Note: Indian nationals are required to issue permits to visit Nathula Pass. Foreign nationals are not allowed to visit Nathula Pass.
For Gangtok local sightseeing, MG Marg is among the best tourist attractions to include in the itinerary. This colorful street is lined up with restaurants, cafes, and food joints, which makes it a paradise for foodies. MG Marg is a perfect place to feast on delectable delicacies including Asian, Tibetan, and Nepalese cuisines. It is considered the town center of Gangtok and an amazing place for shopping.
- Location: MG Marg, Gangtok, Sikkim - 737103
- Opening hours: 10:00 AM to 11:00 PM
- Major attractions: Tsuglagkhang Monastery, Lounge 31A, 9INE Native Cuisine, and Bakers Cafe
- Best Time To Visit: October to December
Baba Harbhajan Singh Memorial Temple
Nestled amidst Nathula Pass and Jelep La Pass, Baba Harbhajan Singh Memorable Temple is dedicated to a soldier martyr during the Sino war. Harbhajan Singh was a soldier posted here who died during the war defending the country. It is believed that his spirit guards the post and protects every soldier in this inhospitable terrain. To this belief, the Indian Army treated him as a soldier who never died and continued to serve in the army. He continued to receive his rank duty till he ‘retired’ from the army. This is among the major attractions in Gangtok where the photograph of Harbhajan Singh can be seen.
- Location: MG Marg, Gangtok, Sikkim - 737103
- Opening hours: 6:00 AM – 8:00 PM
- Major attractions: Nathula Pass, Jelep La Pass, Bholenath Waterfall, Nathula Lake, and Sarathang Lake
- Best Time To Visit: April to June
Ban Jhakri Waterfall
Located in a park near Ranka Monastery, Ban Jhakri Waterfall is a popular picnic place in Gangtok. This is a paradise for nature lovers and peace-seekers where they can rejuvenate amidst serene environs. The lush greenery and pristine landscape offer scenic views. This recreation center was believed to be a place of traditional shamanic healers. This is also an energy park and the natural energy production site of the park is worth a visit.
- Location: Near SNT Bus Station, Gangtok, Sikkim - 737103
- Opening hours: 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM (Monday to Saturday)
- Major attractions: Ban Jhakri Falls Energy Park, Boating Center, Ranka Monastery, and Bakthang Waterfall.
- Best Time To Visit: October to February
Dedicated to Lord Hanuman, this is one of the revered temples in Gangtok that is visited by a large number of tourists and devotees. This shrine is maintained by the Indian Army and offers an enthralling view of the surroundings. This age-old Hanuman Temple also offers a majestic view of Mount Kanchenjunga that makes it among the best places to visit in Sikkim. It was established in 1952 and a perfect place to soak in spirituality. According to the legends, this is the place where Lord Hanuman rested while going to Dunagiri mountain to get Sanjeevani to save Laxman, brother of Lord Ram.
- Location: Hanuman Tok, Gangtok, Sikkim - 737103
- Opening hours: 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Major attractions:Ganesh Tok, Khangchendzonga Biosphere Reserve, Sikkim Himalayan Zoological Park, and Enchey Monastery
- Best Time To Visit: January to March
Himalayan Zoological Park
Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park is popularly known as Himalayan Zoological Park, which is among the popular Gangtok tourist places. It is an ideal destination for nature lovers, families, kids, and thrill-seekers. This is a paradise for wildlife lovers as it is home to some of the exotic species of birds and animals. It was established in 1952 and offers numerous types of activities to the visitors. Trekking, wildlife safari, and bird watching are among the best things to do here.This park is well-maintained and a perfect getaway from the hustle-bustle of city life.
- Location: Bulbulay, East Sikkim, Gangtok, Sikkim - 737103
- Opening hours: 9 AM – 4 PM from Monday – Saturday
- Major attractions: HMI Museum, Padmaja Zoological Gardens, and Shrubbery Nightingale Park.
- Best Time To Visit: February and March
Also known as Lingdum Monastery, Ranka Monastery is a regal gompa that spreads over a vast area that follows the Zurmang Kagyud lineage of Buddhism. This is among the most popular Buddhist monasteries in Gangtok, which is known for its architectural beauty and glorious past. In the complex of the monastery, there is another 2-storey building where lamas attend classes. This is also one of the most pictorial monasteries of Sikkim, which is encompassed by lush forest and scenic beauty. This quaint monastery is situated away from the crowded places.
- Location: Ranka Road, Gangtok, Sikkim - 737103
- Opening hours: 6 AM – 6 PM
- Major attractions: Ban Jhakri Waterfall and Bakthang Waterfall.
- Best Time To Visit: October to November. March to May
Tashi View Point
Popular for its sunrise and sunset views, Tashi View Point is another major Gangtok sightseeing place that one should add in their itinerary. It is a paradise for photography buffs as it offers breathtaking views of the surroundings. On a clear day, one can also spot Mount Kanchenjunga, which is the third highest mountain in the world. There are some eateries near this place that makes it a popular picnic place in Gangtok among families, kids, and couples.
- Location: Near Bakthang Waterfall, Gangtok, Sikkim - 737103
- Opening hours: 24-hours
- Major attractions: Bakthang Falls, Ganesh Tok, and Hanuman Tok.
- Best Time To Visit: March to June
Inaugurated in 2003, Gangtok Ropeway is among the famous tourist attractions in Gangtok that allow people to enjoy the ropeway ride and have a bird's eye view of the city. It covers the distance of 2 km to and fro. It has three terminal stations namely Tashiling, Namnang or Deorali. Among them, Deorali is the base station from where one can board the ropeway and go till Tashiling, which is the highest point of the ropeway.
- Location: Near Institute of Tibetology, Gangtok, Sikkim - 737103
- Opening hours: 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM
- Major attractions: Gangtok Market, Institute of Tibetology, Namnang View Point, and Tashiling View Point.
- Best Time To Visit: March to June
Flower Exhibition Center Ridge Park
Features a variety of flowers, Flower Exhibition Center is located below Ridge Park and across White Memorial Hall. Some of the popular species of fresh orchids one can spot here are Anthurium and Lilium. The refreshing fragrance of flowers makes this place enchanting and perfect for nature lovers. This is among the best tourist places in Gangtok to visit for families and couples. They can delve into the scenic environs and enjoy the pleasant ambiance.
- Location: Arithang, Gangtok, Sikkim - 737103
- Opening hours: 9:00 AM – 5:15 PM
- Major attractions: Tsuglagkhang Monastery, Enchey Monastery, Mainam Garden, and Lal Bazaar.
- Best Time To Visit: March and June