Tsomgo Lake is situated near the Indo China Border on the way to Nathu La Pass. Both domestic tourists, as well as international tourists, are allowed to visit Tsomgo Lake. Tourists need to obtain the permit from the Gangtok or by the Sikkim's Government certified tour operator. The same permit for Indian national tourists would visit the Baba Harbhajan Singh Temple, which is 17 km (approx.). Please note that foreign tourists are from any nation and are not allowed to visit Baba Harbhajan Singh Temple. Their permit is valid only for Tsomgo Lake. An Aadhar Card of any tourist would not be considered a valid identification proof to obtain a Protected Area Permit. You need to showcase your driving license, PAN Card, Passport copy to get the permit to visit Changu Lake.
Why Tsomgo Lake in Gangtok is Worth A Visit?
Tsomgo Lake in Gangtok is the top tourist spot in Sikkim to taste the first snowfall in Sikkim. You could photograph the unmistakable beauty of Changu Lake (another name) in a different season. During the winters, this glacial lake freezes and turns into dark inky green colors. In summers, the water of this lake is sapphire blue. Mists could be seen in the monsoon season between July-September (only by locals) because the trails to reach Tsomgo Lake are prone to landslides.
The shimmering watts of this high altitude glacial lake become a sight to behold with the surrounded snow-covered hills' riveting reflections. Shutterbugs can capture the various migratory birds, Bahamian ducks. There is something magical about spending 2-3 hours (approx.) at Changu Lake as this breathtaking spot in Sikkim as its surroundings are mirrored in its azure waters. For religious and spiritual buffs, there is a small Shiva Temple where the prayer wheel is installed. Locals believe it to be a sacred site.
Things to Do in Tsomgo Lake
- Rejuvenate your mind and soul while soaking in the beauty of the lake
- Enjoy Yak safari or pony rides with kids
- Photograph the snowflake vistas around the lake in your camera
- Eat the finest momos around the food stalls at Tsomgo Lake
- Interact with the Brahimian ducks and feed them
Best Time to Visit Tsomgo Lake
If you want to bask in the charm of Changu Lake in Gangtok, the best time to visit is April-June and October-March. During this tenure, the beauty of the lake could be witnessed without any landslides and bad climate. Particularly in December-January, the lakes get freezes, and the coasts of the lake provide trekking opportunities due to the snow sheet formation.
How to Reach Changu Lake
Changu Lake could be reached easily from the capital town (Gangtok) in just 1-2 hours. The distance between Tsomgo Lake to Gangtok is supposed to be 45 km (approx.). Driving your vehicle or hiring a self-drive car is not recommended as the roads are not good. Hire the experienced taxi driver who will drive you towards Tsomgo Lake in SUV vehicles like Scorpio, Bolero, Innova, Fortuner.
Travel Tips For Tsomgo Lake
- Carry your identification proof, 2-3 passport size photos.
- Be a responsible tourist and don't create the mess around the beautiful lake.
- Visit Tsomgo Lake early morning between 7:30 AM - 8 AM.
- Know about the best time to visit the lake.
- Take time to acclimatize yourself in Gangtok before visiting Changu Lake.
- Know about the lump sum taxi fare to reach Tsomgo Lake from Gangtok.
- Carry enough water with you.
- Don't take your child with you if he/she is below 5 years.
- Pack warm woolen clothes if visiting in winters.