What is Bannerghatta National Park known for?
Bannerghatta National Park in Karnataka is known for housing several endangered species such as lions, tigers, White Tigers, etc.
When was this National Park established?
The idea behind the inception of Bannerghatta Biological Park was to provide an opportunity to the citizens of Bangalore to enjoy the benefits of a Biological Recreation Center. The nearby forests amidst famous valley of Champakadhama hills were then given the status of Bannerghatta National Park in the year 1972. In the forests, a mini zoo was built where development procedures and works carried on for number of years. By the year 2002, it was given the distinction of India’s first fully developed Biological Park.
Where is Bannerghatta National Park located?
Bannerghata National Park is situated 22 km south of the metropolitan city of Bangalore, which is located in Indian state of Karnataka.
What is the best time to visit Bannerghatta National Park?
The climate is suitable for a visit throughout the year, though the best time to visit is during the months of September and January, when the weather is most pleasant.
What are the opening and closing timings of the National Park?
The park remains closed on every Tuesday. The visiting hours on the rest of the days are 0900 hours to 1700 hours.
What are the charges inside the National Park?
- Zoo Entry fee: INR 60
- Guide fee: INR 400
- Jeep Safari: INR 625
- Long nature walk: INR 70
- Photo camera: INR 25
- Short nature walk: INR 45
- Video camera: INR 200
- Butterfly Park: INR 25
- Elephant ride: INR 60
- Boating: INR 50
Note: The charges are liable to change at any given time without any prior information.
What species of flora and fauna can be witnessed inside the National Park?
- Mammals: Lions, Elephant, Bengal Tigers, Striped Hyena, White Lions, Leopard, Bison, Chital, Sambar, Sloth Bear, Barking Deer, Wild Dog, Jackal, Wild Boar, Bonnet Macaque, Porcupine, Mouse Deer, etc.
- Birds: Peafowl, Grey Jungle Fowl, Partridges, Quails, Flycatchers, Wood Peckers, Ibis, Storks, Sunbirds, Flower-Peckers, Thrushes, Eagles, Cuckoos, Parakeets, Orioles, Minivets, Wagtails, Drongos, etc.
- Reptiles: Tortoise Crocodiles, Viper, Python, Rat Snake, Cobra, Krait, Land Monitor Lizard, etc.
- Amphibians: Salamander, Toads, Frogs etc.
Gloriosa Superba, Anogeisses Latifolia, Acacia Catechu, Acacia Leucophloea, Acacia Catechu, Stereospermum Chelonoides, Zizyphus Spp, Diospyros Spp, Shorea Talura, Santalum Album, Azadirachta Indica, Dendrocalamus Strictus, Terminalia Spp, Whereas Lantana Camara, Cassia Tora, Phoenix Acaulis, Cassia Auriculata, Pterolobium Indicum, Randia Floribunda, Gloriosa Superba, Capparis Spp, Acacia Instia, Pterocarpus Marsupium, Terminalia Spp, Dalbergia Latifolia, Gmelina Arborea, Dolbergia Paniculata, Lagestroemia Parviflora, Boswellia Dendrocalamus Strictus, Serrata, Vangueria Spinosa, Wrightia Tinctoria, Randia Dumentorum, Zizyphus Jujube, Kydia Calycina, Santalum Album, Diospyros Melanoxylon, Casia Fistula, Shorea Talura, Eupatorium, Phoenix Humilis, Desmodium, Helicteris Isora, Chloroxylon Sweitenia, etc.
Are there any other attractions in and around the National Park?
- The Zoo: The tourists must visit the on-site zoo featuring varied species of Birds, Reptiles and Mammals.
- Wildlife Film Show: Travelers must watch the wildlife feature Film in the auditorium.
- Museum: The on-site Museum puts on display several fossils, photographs, skeletons, animal trophies, etc.
- Butterfly Park: The first ever Butterfly Conservatory in India houses over 20 butterfly species.
- Boating: The new boating ride at Kavalkere along the zoo is an adventurous activity.
Can you tell me where I can stay while visiting Bannerghatta National Park?
There are several amazing wildlife resorts and lodges nearby Bannerghatta National Park where tourists can decide to stay for enjoying an unforgettable and adventurous stay. These wildlife resorts can also arrange for wildlife safaris through the forests so that guests can make the most of their tour to National Park. The food served here is simply exquisite.
Some of the fine examples of such hotels include the most popular Hotel Vanashree Mayura. This hotel which is run and managed by Karnataka State Tourism Development Corporation Ltd. is situated just outside the zoo. Those who stay in here enjoy the fact that wilderness and nature are knocking on their doorstep. Other excellent wildlife accommodations include Hill View Restaurant. This lodge is situated in the forest extension area in the top of a hill. It is managed and run by Jungle Lodges and Resorts Ltd.
Any last minute tips before I visit Bannerghatta National Park?
Some must-check tips on a tour to Bannerghatta National Park are given below:
- One can get the best possible tours to Bannerghatta National Park by logging on to Indianholiday.com.
- Hurting, Teasing or injuring any fauna or flora species is a punishable offence.·
- Travelers must not carry any kind of sharp object/instrument with them during Jungle Safaris.
- One must be patient while traversing the forest for wildlife viewing.
- Cameras are must-carry objects here. Ensure that the batteries are charged before heading out for wildlife excursions. Keep extra batteries just in case.
- Animals feel a sense of warning with dark, bright colors and run away. So wear lighter shades of clothes.