Chettinad is decked with plush wood furnishings and ceramic collections from across the globe, reminiscent of the grand architectural style of the ancient times. During a tour to Chettinad, visitors should not miss out on shopping. Right from antiques to cotton sarees, Chettinad in Tamil Nadu offers a shopping experience to remember with great delight.
Some of the famous tourist attractions to visit during a tour to Chettinad are -
- Kamban Mani Mandapam : This edifice was constructed in honor of late Tamil poet Kavi Chakravarthy Kamban and many literary programs are conducted here annually.
- Kaviarsar Kannadhasan Mani Mandapam: It has a museum with a stunning collection of artifacts including traditional jewelry, attires, huge copper vats and grain bins.
- Periya Minor's Veedu: Replete with a Spanish tiled roof, Italian floor tiles and carved teak pillars, this impressive mansion simples awes it visitors.
- Sri Meenakshi Sundaeswarar Temple: This temple in Devakottai is renowned for the 108 statues of Vinayak.
- Athangudi: You can learn the art of making and drying handmade patterned terracotta tiles by visiting a tile factory in Athangudi.
The best time to visit Chettinad is between the months of October and March.
How to reach Chettinad
The nearest airport is the Madurai Airport (90 km).
The main railway station is located at Karaikudi, which connects Chettinad with Chennai and other major cities in Tamil Nadu.
Karaikudi, located near Chettinad, is well connected by national highways 45 and 210 with cities like Madurai, Trichy, Tanjore and Chennai.
During a tour to Chettinad, guests can stay at some fine hotels that offer a remarkable blend of tradition and modernity to ensure a comfortable stay. The Bangala and Hotel Chettinad Mansion are some fine examples.Enquire Now