If you are a fan of rainy weather, the monsoon is the best time to plan a trip to India. Looking for places to visit in India in August? We’ve to go you covered! From the mesmerizing Himalayan peaks to the rolling hills in the South, we have meticulously curated a list of top places to visit in August in India 2023, keeping in mind all kinds of travelers.
List of 15 Places to Visit in India in August
- Leh Ladakh – Pristine Natural Beauty
- Udaipur, Rajasthan – A Romantic City
- Pondicherry – French Colonial Heritage
- Malshej Ghat, Maharashtra – Lush Green Hills
- Shillong, Meghalaya – Mesmerizing Landscapes
- Pachmarhi, Madhya Pradesh – Rare Species of Flora & Fauna
- Dalhousie, Himachal Pradesh – Pleasant Climate
- Goa – Beach Lovers’ Heaven
- Saputara, Gujarat – Scenic Hills & Waterfalls
- Coorg, Karnataka – Aromatic Coffee Plantations
- Valley of Flowers, Uttarakhand – Variety of Colorful Flowers
- Darjeeling – The Tea Garden of India
- Kashmir – Heaven on Earth
- Wayanad – Large-scale Rice Plantation
- Lonavala – Lush-Green Hills
1. Leh-Ladakh – Pristine Natural Beauty
Many travelers who have been to Ladakh say that a bike tour to Leh Ladakh is the best way to explore it. But that cannot be the case when it’s pouring in August. The two routes – Manali to Leh and Srinagar to Leh are covered in mud from rain, making the trip to Leh Ladakh in August difficult. To combat that, you can book air tickets, but that can be canceled due to weather conditions.
But once you are in Ladakh, the high-altitude passes, soaring high mountains, fascinating lakes, and tons of exciting places to visit, will leave you mesmerized. Ladakh is one of the best places to visit in India in August with friends for a lot of good reasons.
- Places to visit in Ladakh in August: Khardung La, Tso Moriri, Pangong Lake, Diskit, Leh
- Popular activities in Ladakh in August: Trekking, hiking, visiting monasteries, bike tours, soaking in peace at the lakes
- How to Reach Ladakh: Kushok Bakula Rimpochee Airport (Leh) is located in the capital of Ladakh and Jammu Tawi, the nearest train station is 700 km away.
- Road Conditions: The roads to Ladakh are well-connected and highly challenging.
- Most Interesting Things to do in Leh Ladakh
- India’s Longest Steel Bridge Opens on Manali – Leh Highway
- Discover the new routes leading to Leh Ladakh
- Best Places to Visit in Ladakh
- 11 Forbidden Places in India
2. Udaipur – A Romantic City
With its mesmerizing hues and beautiful lakes, Udaipur is an ideal tourist destination in August. And even though it is situated in one of the hottest states of India, people still visit throughout the year. Probably the best time to visit Udaipur is in August and that’s because the temperature during this time is comfortable and the environment becomes fresh after the rain.
If you are planning a trip to Udaipur in August then enjoying the monsoon season is the best time as the rain fills up the lakes at this time of the year and it is because of this that Udaipur is also known as the city of lakes or the “Venice of the East”.
- Places to visit in Udaipur in August: Udaipur City Palace, Lake Pichola, Vintage Car Museum, Jagmandir, Fateh Sagar Lake
- Popular activities in Udaipur in August: Boat rides in Lake Pichola, exploring Jag Mandir Palace, marveling at the City Palace, sunset from the lake, seeking blessings at Jagdish Temple
- How to Reach Udaipur: The nearest airport is Maharana Pratap Airport (22 km) and the closest train station is Udaipur Railway Station (3 km).
- Road Conditions: Well connected with several buses plying from different cities of India.
3. Pondicherry – French Colonial Heritage
Pondicherry is an ideal place to visit in August in India with family if you wish to enjoy the rainy weather in South India. This former French Colony is a top-notch destination experiencing irregularity in the monsoon season, nevertheless; it is still a charming place to visit when it rains.
With so much to explore and a comfortable climate, this union territory of India is also one of the best places to visit in India in August with friends.
- Places to visit in Pondicherry in August: Immaculate Conception Cathedral, Sri Aurobindo Ashram, Pondicherry Museum, Promenade Beach, Auro Beach
- Popular activities in Pondicherry in August: Surfing, exploring, photography, nature walking, enjoy at the beaches
- How to Reach Pondicherry: Puducherry Airport is located near Auroville and Puducherry Railway Station is inside the city.
- Road Conditions: Smoothly connected via road with the major cities of India.
4. Malshej Ghat – Lush Green Hills
Neither a city nor a town; Malshej Ghat is just a mountain pass. Owing to the jaw-dropping natural beauty and wonderful sightseeing spots; this place has found its way to our list. One of the best places to visit in August-September in South India, Malshej Ghats has multiple wonderful things on offer.
From enthralling curvy roads to high mountains dressed in a green sheet; this is one serene place you would not like to miss out on. Moreover, if you visit Malshej Ghat during the monsoon the place would feel like heaven on earth with an enjoyable climate, wonderful sceneries, and much more.
- Places to visit around Malshej Ghat in August: Malshej Falls, Harishchandragad Fort, Ajoba Hill Fort, Pawna Lake, Pimpalgaon Joga Dam
- Popular activities in Malshej Ghat in August: Camping at Pawna Lake, hiking, trekking, photography, bike riding
- How to Reach Malshej Ghat: Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport is the closest at 138 km and the nearest railhead is the Kalyan railway junction (85 km).
- Road Conditions: The best way to reach Malshej Ghat is by road.
5. Shillong – Mesmerizing Landscapes
Shillong – popularly known as the ‘Scotland of the East’ is one of the best places to visit in August in India for a honeymoon. Located in Meghalaya, this city sits comfortably approximately 5000 ft. above sea level. This place offers a unique mélange of different cultures, diverse flora and fauna, scrumptious food, and a lot of places to enjoy.
Seven Sisters experience high rainfall throughout the year but that makes it a wonderful place to visit. If you are searching for a top-notch monsoon destination in North East India then Shillong can be your pick.
- Places to visit in Shillong in August: Elephant Falls, Umiam Lake, Shillong Peak, Don Bosco Museum, Ward’s Lake
- Popular activities in Shillong in August: Nature photography, exploring, trekking, shopping, tasting different cuisines
- How to Reach Shillong: Umroi Airport is at a distance of 25 km from Shillong while Guwahati railway station is at 105 km distance.
- Road Conditions: There are regular buses that ply from different cities of India to Shillong.
- 8 Historical Monuments in Meghalaya
- Places to Visit and things to Do in North East India: A complete travel guide
6. Pachmarhi – Rare Species of Flora and Fauna
If you wish to enjoy the monsoon season in India at its peak and unwind in intriguing caves, then Pachmarhi is among the cheap places to visit in India in August. The only quaint hill station of Madhya Pradesh, Pachmarhi attracts tourists throughout the year.
With a number of majestic waterfalls, caves, ancient temples, and picturesque landscapes; Pachmarhi is surely a picture-perfect destination to visit with friends in August-September.
- Places to visit in Panchmarhi in August: Pandava Caves, Bee Falls, Mahadeo Hills, Duchess Falls, Satpura National Park
- Popular activities in Panchmarhi in August: Horse riding, ATV Ride, land parasailing, trekking, hiking
- How to Reach Pachmarhi: Raja Bhoj Airport is 200 km away from Pachmarhi and Piparia is the nearest railway station at 54 km.
- Road Conditions: There are regular buses from major cities in India.
7. Dalhousie – Pleasant Climate
Looking for a charming hill station in North India? Why don’t you consider visiting the beautiful town of Dalhousie? With a number of attractions and a list of things to do, Dalhousie is one of the best places to visit in August in North India.
This tiny hill station not only serves as a perfect place for adventurers or nature lovers; it also offers a rejuvenating vacation in Himachal Pradesh.
Also Read: Most Popular Hill Stations in North India
- Places to visit in Dalhousie in August: Panch Pulla, Satdhara Falls, Chamera Lake, Khajjiar, Kalatop Wildlife Sanctuary
- Popular activities in Dalhousie in August: Hiking, exploring the town, boating, taking a walk, shopping at Tibetan Market
- How to Reach Dalhousie: The nearest airport and railway station are in Pathankot, 75 km and 80 km respectively.
- Road Conditions: Well-Connected with all the nearby cities via National Highways.
- 7 Best Places to visit during Monsoon in North India
- Things to do and Places to visit in Dalhousie
- 30 Best Weekend Getaways from Delhi within 500 km
8. Goa – Beach Lovers’ Heaven
The party capital of India is one of the best partying places in India to visit in August for couples and solo travelers. Goa offers a very different experience in the monsoon. The remnants of the Portuguese can be felt and seen in the architecture and culture of the people.
During monsoon, the verdant charm of Goa becomes unparalleled and the fact that there are waterfalls that are gushing due to heavy rains in July and August lets you explore hidden as well as off-the-beaten-path places in Goa at this time of the year.
- Places to visit in Goa in August: Baga Beach, Calangute Beach, Grand Island, Dudhsagar Waterfalls, Fort Aguada
- Popular activities in Goa in August: Scuba Diving, yachting, cruising, playing at casinos, parasailing
- How to Reach Goa: Dabolim International Airport is the main airport, located 28 km from Panjim. Madgaon and Thivim are the nearest railway stations at 35 km and 25 km from Panjim respectively.
- Road Conditions: You can get multiple state transport corporation buses from different cities.
- Top Places to Visit in Goa on a 5 Days Trip
- 20 Most Romantic Things to Do in Goa for Couples
- 15 Hidden Places in Goa that you didn’t know existed
- Goa Tourism: Best Things to Do in Goa
9. Saputara – Scenic Hills & Waterfalls
Tucked away in the bustling and developing state of Gujarat, is a monsoon weekend getaway destination named Saputara. This is a beautiful hill station having several top-notch attractions for visitors. If you are searching for the best place to visit in August in Gujarat or near Mumbai; Saputara should surely be on your go-to list.
Visiting this wonderful place will be intriguing, rejuvenating, and would fill up your memory lane. So, we are listing down some important information for your convenience.
- Places to visit in Saputara in August: Artist Village, Hatgadh Fort, Malegaon, Vansda National Park, Saputara Lake
- Popular activities in Saputara in August: Enjoying the sunset, safari at Purna Wildlife Sanctuary, exploring the museum, photography at Gira Falls, boating at Saputara Lake
- How to Reach Saputara: Surat International Airport is located 156 km from the city and Waghai railway station is at 50 km.
- Road Conditions: Saputara is well-connected via road with the nearby cities.
10. Coorg – Aromatic Coffee Plantations
Want to head to a peaceful and beautiful destination in South India in August? If you are planning to visit somewhere in Karnataka, consider Coorg, a hill town considered one of the best honeymoon destinations in South India. Owing to the wonderful climate and diversity in splendors, this place never fails to spellbind the visitor.
People who visit Coorg in August, get to enjoy the better part of this hill station because the pouring water cleans the environment and makes the air cooler.
- Places to visit in Coorg in August: Omkareshwar Temple, Chamomale Hill, Namdroling Monastery, St. Anne’s Church, Iruppu Falls
- Popular activities in Coorg in August: Trek to Chamomale Hill, experience Islamic and Gothic architecture, visit the Madikeri Fort, hike to Iruppu Falls, visit the monasteries
- How to Reach Coorg: Reach Mangalore International Airport at 141 km from Coorg. Else, take a train to Mysuru Junction at 114 km.
- Road Conditions: A number of buses ply from different cities of India to Coorg and taking a road trip to this destination is also common and popular.
11. Valley of Flowers – Variety of Colorful Flowers
Have you heard about the place where flowers smile at you? Yes, that’s the Valley of Flowers located in the Chamoli District of Uttarakhand. This national park is also a part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site because of the dense alpine plantations.
It is the heartwarming beauty of the place that makes it one of the best destinations to visit in India in August. During the monsoon season, this place is at its best with different types of flowers blossoming throughout the place and making it a paradise on earth. Several tourists plan and visit the Valley of Flowers during August to witness the sheer beauty that’s on offer.
- Places to visit in Valley of Flowers in August: The Flower Valley, Govindghat, Hemkund Sahib Gurudwara
- Popular activities in Valley of Flowers in August: Trek to the valley, photography, hiking, visiting Hemkund Sahib Gurudwara, village walk
- How to Reach Valley of Flowers: Jolly Grant Airport is approx. 282 km and Rishikesh Railway Station is about 265 km.
- Road Conditions: Getting a bus from major destinations in India is easy and traveling by road is comfortable.
- 12 Most Beautiful Offbeat Destinations in Uttarakhand
- Top 17 Places for Trekking in Uttarakhand
- Top 37 Things to Do in Uttarakhand
12. Darjeeling – The Tea Garden of India
Darjeeling is one of the most sought-after places in West Bengal in August. From the fragrance of tea leaves to mesmerizing views from the renowned Tiger Hill, Darjeeling has everything to keep the traveler captivated.
Famous for its Darjeeling tea, this hill station is the highest tea exporter in India. In fact, Tea Tourism attracts a lot of travelers to the place. Darjeeling also has a large Buddhist population, and many monasteries built in the city. Darjeeling is also a prime shopping location where you can find the best handicrafts, apparel, and showpieces.
- Places to visit in Darjeeling in August: Tiger Hill, Darjeeling Ropeway, Batasia Loop, Darjeeling Himalayan Railway, Himalayan Mountaineering Institute,
- Popular activities in Darjeeling in August: Go rafting on the Teesta River, trek the Sandakphu, take a joy ride on the toy train, learn mountaineering at Himalayan Mountaineering Institute, watch the sunrise at Tiger Hill, etc.
- How to Reach Darjeeling: The nearest airport to Darjeeling is Bagdogra which is around 95 km. The nearest railway station to Darjeeling is New Jalpaiguri, which connects the town with all the major parts of the country.
- Road Conditions: Darjeeling is well connected to some of the nearby major cities, such as Gangtok and Kalimpong. It is also connected with Kolkata, which is 651 km away and takes around 14 hours to reach here.
13. Kashmir – Heaven on Earth
The beauty of Kashmir is not unknown to anybody. Known as the ‘Heaven on Earth,’ Kashmir is surrounded by the Himalayas and Karakoram ranges and is rich in lush valleys, dense forests, and flourishing meadows.
The majestic valleys of the region provide a lot of scope for trekking and skiing. Moreover, many tourists visit the place for either a stay on a houseboat or a Shikara ride on Dal Lake to experience the best of nature. Indeed, very few places, if any, in India can beat Kashmir in beauty and magnificence. Kashmir thus is an ideal destination to plan a family tour and honeymoon holiday in India in August.
- Places to visit in Kashmir in August: Sonamarg, Pahalgam, Kishtwar, Pulwama, Yousmarg, Srinagar
- Popular activities in Kashmir in August: Trekking amidst the great Himalayas, shikara ride on Dal Lake, camping in Kashmir hills, snowboarding and skiing
- How to Reach Kashmir: To fly into Kashmir, take the Srinagar Airport, well connected to prime Indian cities. Jammu Tawi railway station is the busiest railway station in Jammu and Kashmir. It serves as the northern terminal of major trains connecting the city with the rest of India.
- Road Conditions: Srinagar is well connected with major cities like Delhi (876 km), Chandigarh (646 km), Leh (424 km), and Jammu (258 km) through good Bus service and Cab service.
14. Wayanad – Large-scale Rice Plantation
Known as the ‘green paradise,’ Wayanad is rich in plantations, wildlife, and forest. Thus, the area is known for activities like camping, trekking trails, and bird-watching. In addition, the Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary is home to a wide range of wildlife, including Asiatic elephants, tigers, leopards, and egrets.
Because of the rich bio-ecosystem, the place has a large production of spices, coffee, tea, herbal plants, and honey. Wayanad is locally called ‘Vayal Nadu,’ meaning rice plantation because the palace is said to remain fertile and thus famous for its paddy fields.
- Places to visit in Wayanad in August: Meenmutty Waterfalls, Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary, Wayanad Heritage Museum, Chembra Peak, Banasura Sagar Dam
- Popular activities in Wayanad in August: Trek to Chembra peak, visit Edakkal Cave, spend a day at Pookode Lake, rest at Vythiri Village Resort, explore Tea Estates, explore Kuruva Islands
- How to Reach Wayanad: The closest airplane terminal is Calicut Airport, just 65 km from here. Via train, you can arrive at the nearest railway station in Kozhikode.
- Road Conditions: Many state transports are accessible from Mangalore, Kochi, and Trivandrum and will take you to Wayanad.
15. Lonavala – Lush-Green Hills
Lonavala is the most visited hill station in Maharashtra and is among the ideal destinations in India in August. Situated in the Sahyadri range of the Western Ghats, the place has many dense forests, waterfalls, and lakes. Moreover, it presents an array of fun activities for the tourists like rappelling, camping, hiking, and trekking, among many others.
Lonavala is also known for its many caves like Karla Caves, Bhaja Caves, Bedsa, etc., which pique the interests of many tourists. Also, Lonavala is one of the twin hill stations in the location: Lonavala and Khandala (both can be easily visited together).
- Places to visit in Lonavala in August: Bhushi Dam, Pawna Dam, Tungarli Lake, Tiger’s Leap, Lion’s Point, Rajmachi Fort
- Popular activities in Lonavala in August: Revisit the relics of Lohagad Fort, witness the sunset at Lion’s Point, experience nature’s beauty from Tiger’s Leap Viewpoint
- How to Reach Lonavala: The nearest airport is the Lohegaon Airport in Pune, about 64 km away. Lonavala railway station is well-connected by train to Mumbai and Pune, with local trains running every 2 hours.
- Road Conditions: State buses, private buses, taxis, and tour operators have regular services to Lonavala from Mumbai and Pune.
With this list of best places to visit in India in August 2023, plan a trip with Indian Holiday’s tailor-made packages. Enjoy the rainy weather, hot snacks, and activities that enhance the charm of your monsoon trip. So which place are you visiting first?
- 25 Best Places to Visit in India in September
- 19 Best Places to Visit in India in October
- 15 Best Places to Visit in India in November
- 10 Best Places to Visit in India in December
- Best Places to Visit in January in India
- Best Places to Visit in February in India
- Best Places to Visit in India in March
- Best Palaces to Visit in India in April
- Best Places to Visit in India in May
- Best Places to Visit in India June
- Best Places to Visit in India in July
- Best Places to Visit in India in August