Crescent-shaped beaches, exquisite monuments, and stunning coastlines enhance the charm of Kovalam and attract a large number of tourists every year. Popularly called ‘Paradise of South’, Kovalam is a city located by the Arabian Sea, south of Thiruvananthapuram. The palm-fringed beaches of Kovalam are perfect for leisure vacations and sunbathing. In addition, ayurvedic and yoga retreats at the therapeutic centers offer enriching experiences.
Kovalam is also a perfect getaway for the honeymooners and thrill-seekers. Couples can savor some romantic moments on Kovalam beaches, while adventure lovers can partake in the watersports. If you are a party lover, Kovalam houses some top-rated nightclubs and bars where you can enjoy the vibrant nightlife.
With our Kovalam travel guide, you can get detailed information about this idyllic beach town. If you are planning a visit here, take a look and gather important information for a hassle-free trip.
Why visit Kovalam?
Famed as a popular beach destination, Kovalam is blessed with paradisiacal beauty. Some of the main attractions in Kovalam besides beaches are yoga and Ayurvedic retreats, luxury resorts, nightclubs, hill stations, and backwaters. Kovalam has something for every kind of traveler, be it a solo traveler, family, friends, couples, adventure fanatics, or nature lovers.
Kovalam is home to interlinking canals and backwaters, popular for houseboat cruises. In addition, wooden boat rides are popular here. If you are considering visiting Kovalam, check out our fully-customizable Kovalam tour packages.
Best Time to visit Kovalam:
The best time to visit Kovalam is during the winter months, from November to February. The temperature is moderate and favorable for sightseeing and beach hopping.
How to reach Kovalam:
Trivandrum International Airport is around 12 Km from Kovalam and the nearest one to the beach. Cabs and taxis are easily available from the airport to reach Kovalam Beach. Kovalam Beach is located on the way to Mahabalipuram down to East Coast Road. Apart from Trivandrum, Kovalam is well linked to other cities, viz., Bangalore, Chennai, Mangalore, and Madurai, by the excellent network of buses. Trivandrum Central Railway Station is the nearest to Kovalam, 13 km away. Trains from all major cities within the country have access to the Trivandrum Central Railway Station.
Places to visit in Kovalam:
Fondly referred to as the ‘grove of coconut trees’, Kovalam was once a calm fishing village, now a popular tourist destination. There is no dearth of places to visit in Kovalam. The three palm-fringed crescent-shaped beaches of Kovalam, namely Lighthouse Beach, Samudra Beach, and Hawa beach, offer a blissful experience with your loved ones. Some of the famous places to visit in Kovalam are:
- Vellayani Lake
- Halcyon Castle
- Veli Tourist Village
- Vizhinjam Rock Cut Cave Temple.
- Kovalam Art Gallery
- Artificial OffShore Coral Reef
- Vizhinjam Marine Aquarium
- Vizhinjam Beach
Things to do at Kovalam
Here are the top things to do in Kovalam - one of the most attractive townships in Kerala.
Spend nighttime in the houseboat - Floating in the serene backwaters with a rural backdrop and paddy fields feels magical. You can enjoy the scenery and indulge in lavish Malabari food. Each deluxe houseboat in Kovalam is well-furnished and comfortable. There are several types of houseboat rides you can choose from, according to your requirements.
Take a sightseeing tour - Explore the Lighthouse, Vizhinjam rock-cut cave temple, Thiruvallam Parasurama Temple, and Halcyon Castle. However, the most exciting things to do in Kovalam are appreciating the charm of Neyyar Dam and witnessing the spectacular sunset at Valiyathura Pier.
Thrilling water sport activities and beach adventure
Windsurfing - It is a fun water sports activity for those who are ardent adventure lovers. Windsurfing is one of the most widespread racing games in the world, providing a thrilling experience.
Parasailing - It is also known as para-kiting, an entertaining kiting activity where the person is pulled behind a vehicle while attached to a designed canopy wing that resembles a parachute known as a parasail wing. Parasailing on Kovalam Beach is a popular tourist attraction.
- Sunbathing - You can enjoy sunbathing amid its lovely landscape and favorable climate.
- Jet Skiing - It is one of the most exciting Kovalam water sports. It is great for developing your equilibrium and coordination skills and leg muscles. Scuba Diving - It is underwater diving where the diver uses a self-contained breathing apparatus (scuba). You are engaged in only three basic skills: floating, kicking, and breathing.
- Go for a peaceful catamaran ride - Undoubtedly, it is one of the unique things to do in Kovalam. The boats are mainly traditional and are rowed with the help of bamboo oars. You can try out the activity at Hawa Beach or Vellayani Lake.
- Enjoy Ayurvedic massages and spa - Kovalam is well-known for its Ayurvedic medicine treatment. There are plenty of famous Ayurveda massage and spa centers in Kovalam. Ayurveda is a system of curing against your diseases using various techniques and herbal oils.
- Meditation - Yoga helps in purifying and maintaining good health. It helps to increase your spiritual strength.
- Creative art workshops - Art and creative workshops are one of the best ways to spend some free time in Kovalam.
Top tourist attractions to visit around Kovalam
If you’ve wanted to explore South India, Kovalam is among the best places to start the tour. For a memorable holiday, here are the top tourist attractions to visit around Kovalam:
- Lighthouse Beach - Lighthouse is one of the most popular and crowded places in Kovalam. A 35 m high lighthouse is set up on the Kurumkar hillock right along the beach. It is made up of stones and colored in red and white bands. Lighthouse is an ideal spot to enjoy water sports activities. Tourists also like to play volleyball on the beach.
- Hawa Beach - It is also known as Eve’s beach. It is fenced by verdant coconut and palm plantations and is one of the famous tourist places in Kovalam.
- Vellayani Lake - One of the most popular freshwater lakes in Kovalam, Vellayani Lake ranks high in the list of famous Kovalam tourist places. It is also known as “Velliyani Kayal”. In addition, one can visit the nearby lake places where you can learn about the local culture and lifestyle.
- Halcyon Castle - This has now been converted into a luxury hotel. The marvelous castle is an example of the traditional structural design of Travancore. The lawn at the grand castle is a treat to the eyes.
- Kovalam Art Gallery - If you are a connoisseur of art, visit the Kovalam Art Gallery. Witness some of the rare collections of Fresco paintings and art. There are also displays related to ancient civilizations, the Mughal era, the Rajput era, as well as artifacts from China, Tibet, and Japan.
- Neyyar Dam and Aruvikkara Dam - The dam is an ideal spot for picnic lovers. Both dams are surrounded by forests and are home to several wildlife species. Samudra Beach - This serene beach with spell-binding beauty is one of the coolest beaches in Kovalam. It is not much crowded and is preferred mainly by newlyweds who want to spend time. Moreover, it is the place where you can see the view of shoreline fishing.
- Valiyathura Pier - The pier is about 215 m long and located near Valiyathura, which locally means a big seaport. It attracts tourists for its scenic sights of the Malabar Coast and the Arabian Sea. In addition, it is an idyllic place to take a relaxing walk and spend leisure time.
- Karamana River - Karamana River Bank is one of the popular tourist attractions in Kovalam, offering leisure and relaxation. Tourists generally visit the river bank to enjoy boating.
- Shri Padmanabhaswamy Temple - This beautiful temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu and is among the must-visit places in Kovalam. The brilliant architecture of the temple is attention-grabbing. Hindu idols present in the temple are exquisitely carved. Visitors have to follow a strict dress code; women must wear a sari or salwar kurta, and men's attire is dhoti.
Vizhinjam Rock Cut Cave Temple - The Rock Cut Cave Temple is one of the best places to visit in Kovalam and one of the smallest shrines in South India. The temple is also one of the oldest rock shrines in India, with incomplete sculptures of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati.
- Artificial offshore Coral Reef - Do not consider your trip complete if you haven’t visited this man-made wonder. It is a must-visit place in Kovalam and has gained huge popularity.
- German Bakery - This is one of the most prominent bakeries in Kovalam that serves lip-smacking German cuisine. Food is graded amongst the best in Kovalam. Surely you do not want to miss one of the best places to visit in Kovalam.
Best Restaurants and Local Foods in Kovalam
Prevalent street food in Kovalam is for both vegetarian and seafood lovers. So get pampered with tasty food. The best local foods in Kovalam are Puttu, Kerala Appam, Kappa, and South Indian Plate.
Besides sunny beaches and abundant food, Kovalam is dotted with several restaurants. Here is the list of the best food restaurants in Kovalam that you must try.
- German Bakery and Waves Restaurant
- Bay View - Vivanta by Taj Fisherman’s Cove
- Upper Deck - Vivanta by Taj Fisherman’s Cove
- Sanjeevini Restaurant
- Swiss Café
- Malabar Café
- Devi Garden Restaurant
- Fusion Restaurant
- Lonely Planet Restaurant
Accommodation Facilities at Kovalam
There are numerous hotels and resorts to stay in near Kovalam Beach. Indian Holiday has tie-ups with some of the best hotels in Kovalam to suit all budgets, products, and services. Other facilities include a reputable Ayurvedic spa, restaurants, and infinity pools. Kovalam is positioned close to the beach and offers many facilities for the most discerning visitors.
Nightlife in Kovalam
The fascinating town of Kovalam has some trendy and glamorous nightclubs and bars where you can enjoy the electrifying nightlife. Kovalam’s air frequently leaves such an impact on the vacationer that the need for a well-tossed beverage arises within. So enjoy the nightlife in Kovalam with good music and fantastic cocktails. The most popular places are the Sky Bar in Leela Kempinski, Neera Bar in the Taj, and the Bar.
Availability of Guides:
Kovalam Beach is a destination that entices not only local tourists but tourists from all over the globe. Tourists are treated here with the utmost respect in the land highlighting the culture. With the Kerala travel guide of the Indian Holiday, you can explore some of the best places and get an opportunity to stay at the exotic hotels in Kovalam to make things easier.
Travelers’ Tips before visiting Kovalam:
Here are some travelers’ tips to keep in mind before visiting Kovalam. These are:
- Firstly, you should be assured that your health is appropriate for the outing and carry the required medicine and a first aid box. If you have any medical prescriptions, don’t forget to take them.
- To avoid health problems, avoid drinking water from the public pipes or any unhygienic place. The best idea is to carry a mineral water bottle with you.
- It is genuine not to carry enough cash with you. There are enough ATMs available from which you can withdraw the needed money.
- There are water sports activities at Kovalam. Adore sea surfing and boat canters with care. Listen carefully to the guidelines about all safety precautions regarding water sports activities.
- Smoking isn’t permitted on the beach. Hence, do not carry cigarettes.
- If you are traveling in the summer, don’t forget to carry sunglasses and sunscreen lotion.
- Don’t forget your camera to take pictures of the beach.
Interesting Facts About Kovalam:
Some interesting facts about Kovalam are that it is famous for its astounding beaches. The name “Kovalam” means an orchard of coconut trees as it offers an endless sight of coconut trees. It is divided into three beaches by rocks. The fact is that it is one of the most visited tourist points because of adventurous water activities, clean water, festivals and carnivals, and delicious cuisines.
Shopping in Kovalam
The vibrant and colorful streets of Kovalam tempt you to shop in this beach town. You can buy local souvenirs such as finest spices, home décor items, handicraft and handloom items, and idols made from teakwood and rosewood. You can also buy seashell jewelry, Sarongs, books, and Tibetan handicrafts. Some of the popular shopping places in Alleppey are:
- Kovalam Beach
- Joseph and Sons Shop
- Kovalam Mall
Useful tips for a trip to Kovalam
- Make sure you book a houseboat tour in advance as in the peak season, there are few chances of getting a reasonable price on the spot.
- Carry medical kit, prescribed and essential medicines.
- Do not forget to carry important documents, including tickets, cash, and photo ID proof.
- Book your accommodation in advance to save yourself from last-minute hassles.
- Wear comfortable clothes and durable shoes during the sightseeing tour.
- Cover your head and shoulders while visiting religious places.
- Try local cuisines and learn about their culture.
- Respect local culture.
How to Plan Trip to Kovalam:
Indian Holiday offers the meticulously crafted Kovalam tour packages, which are all about its beaches and exquisite monuments. You can plan your tour with us. Click to book customized Kovalam holiday packages and get exciting deals.