What is Jijamata Udyan Zoo known for?
Jijamata Udyan Zoo is known as a habitat for numerous endangered bird and animal species.
When was this Zoo established?
Laid out in the year 1861, Jijamata Udyan Zoo is the oldest zoo in India. These gardens were owned by David Sassoon, the rich Jewish businessman, and he donated this property to Mumbai’s Municipal Corporation who revived it as a zoo.
Protection, Conservation and betterment of wildlife is something which is taken very seriously by Indian Government and therefore, with combined efforts from PETA and Mumbai officials, a major revamp project was started at Jijamata Udyan in the year 2011. The 2-year project is still continuing and during this revamp, many new wildlife species including African Lions, Rare Zebras, Orangutans, Penguins, etc. are brought to the zoo from various countries.
In this revamp, the administrative building and historic gallery are also being reconstructed to beautify the surroundings.
Additional feature like gift shops, theme parks, taxidermy museum, animal rides, restaurants and 3D theater are also being set up in the zoo.
Where is Jijamata Udyan Zoo located?
Jijamata Udyan Zoo is located at Byculla district of Mumbai city in Indian state of Maharashtra.
How to reach Jijamata Udyan Zoo?
- By Air: Chhatrapati Sivaji International Airport is at a distance of 19 km from the zoo.
- By Rail: Byculla Railway Station is just at a distance of 1 km from the Zoo.
- By Road: Mumbai is well connected by road: Aurangabad (392 km), Vadodara (432 km), Pune (163 km), Mahabaleshwar (239 km), Ahmadabad (545 km), Nashik (184 km)and Panaji (597 km).
What is the best time to visit Jijamata Udyan Zoo?
The weather is quite pleasant in Mumbai during November-February and this is the best time to visit the Zoo.
What are the opening and closing timings of the Zoo?
The Zoo timings are from 1030 hours to 1730hours.
What are the charges to enter the Zoo?
Entry fee for every individual is Rupees 5, irrespective of his/her age, gender or nationality.
Note: The charges may increase or decrease without any prior notification.
What animals and bird species can be seen inside the Zoo?
- Mammals: 189 mammals of 20 species including Lion, Hyena, Foxes, Black Bucks, Elephants, Hippos, Blank Monkeys, Langoors, Black Spot Deers, Giant Elephants, Giraffes, Wild Dogs, African Lions, Rare Zebras, Leopards, Pangolin, Mouse Deers, Orangutans, Jungle Cats etc.
- Birds: 449 Birds of 38 different species including Flamingos, Peacock, Peahen, Penguins etc.
- Reptiles: 43 reptiles of 9 species including Monitor Lizards, Crocodiles, Snakes, Bua Rare etc.
Are there any other attractions in the Zoo?
There are various attractions in the zoo to mesmerize the visitors:
- The beautiful garden in the zoo stretches for over 48 acres and houses some of the oldest tree species. Outside, the gardens are surrounded by "chawls".
- The Victorian Clock Tower, built in Italian Renaissance architectural style, is a masterpiece to look at.
- David Sassoon also built a Statue of King of King Edward VII in the zoo. Since it is made by black stone, it is called as Kala Ghoda by locals.
- Bhau Daji Lad Museum (earlier called as Victoria and Albert Museum), founded in 1864, is in the garden and contains a huge collection of significant archaeological artifacts.
Can you tell me where I can stay while visiting Jijamata Udyan Zoo?
Tourists particularly enjoy their stay in Mumbai whenever they visit the city. This I because there are so many types of accommodation in the city for them they are overwhelmed with the number of choices they have.
Those who don’t mind spending a little extra to get those luxurious surprises that the Mumbai city is well known for, can chose to stay in 5-star hotels in Mumbai and 4-star hotels in Mumbai. The tourists can enjoy the excursion the zoo and then come back and relax in the luxury suites of their hotels. Since, all these hotels are in the best locations of Mumbai, a stay in these hotels is a smart decision.
Tourists who need to keep a check on their pockets but do not wish to waste away their time shifting from one hotel to other hotel, can chose to stay in amazing 3-star hotels and budget hotels in Mumbai.
Mumbai 5-star hotels include Oberoi Hilton Towers Mumbai, Trident Nariman Point Mumbai, Hotel Sahara Star Mumbai, The Oberoi Mumbai, Taj President Mumbai and Taj Mahal Hotel Mumbai etc.
Mumbai 4-star hotels include Ritz Hotel Mumbai, The Shalimar Hotel Mumbai, Hotel Sands Mumbai and Kohinoor Continental Mumbai etc.
Mumbai 3-star hotels include Hotel Sun-n-Sheel Mumbai, Royal Garden Mumbai, Hotel Rang Sharda Mumbai, Hotel Sahil Mumbai and The Residence Hotel & Convention Centre Mumbai etc.
Mumbai Budget hotels include Hotel Sadanand Mumbai, Hotel Regal Enclave Mumbai, Hotel Red Rose Mumbai, Hotel Rosewood Mumbai, Hotel Midland Mumbai and Royal Inn Mumbai.
Any last minute tips before I visit Jijamata Udyan Zoo?
Sure. Check out some useful tips:
- Book your tour with Indianholiday.com. No other tour and travel portal provide a deal as good as we do.
- Do not carry any sharp objects while traversing The Zoo.
- Do not disturb the eco-friendly atmosphere in the zoo.
- Maintain decorum in the zoo.
- Do not tease or harm any animal or bird species. It is a serious offence.
- Do not offer caged birds or animals anything to eat.