Last Updated on by Manmeet Kaur
The summer heat often motivates us to travel to destinations with greenery, cool winds, pleasant weather, and calm surroundings. May is one of the hottest months in India and a perfect time to plan a vacation with your family.
“A family that travels together stays together” and a holiday trip gives you the perfect opportunity to strengthen your family bond. Besides, it offers a respite from the scorching summer weather. So, get ready to experience the calm at hill stations, trek to the mountain tops, relish delicious food, enjoy adventure sports, and explore India’s wilderness.
From the mighty Himalayas in the north to breathtaking Nilgiris in the south, here is a list of the best places to visit in India in May with family.
Manali, Himachal Pradesh
Enjoy Nature’s Bliss
Nestled between the mighty Dhauladhar mountains and Pir Panjal ranges, Manali has been a family favorite for ages. Its natural beauty and calm atmosphere will make your summer holiday even better. Manali can be visited throughout the year, but May is the time when this destination comes to its full glory. Ancient temples, scenic valleys, and popular attractions of Manali make it the perfect place for a summer holiday. If you are a family of adventure enthusiasts, then you can opt for paragliding, rafting, Zorbing, and mountaineering.
Things to do in Manali with family:
- Seek Blessings at Hadimba Temple and Manu Temple
- Shop until you drop at Manali Mall road
- Glide in the Air in Solang Valley
- Witness natural beauty at Old Manali
- Explore the majestic Gulaba Village
- Trek to Beas Kund
- Explore the Manali Sanctuary
- Visit the Naggar Village
- Go on an excursion to Jogini falls
Temperature: 25°C to 28°C
Weather: Manali’s weather is pleasant in May and provides relief from the blistering heat.
Also Read: Top Things to do in Manali
Perfect Weekend to Jim Corbett
A perfect duo for a road trip that can be planned easily from Delhi. A beautiful combination of beauty and wild, Nainital with Jim Corbett is great for families looking for a fun weekend getaway. While Nainital is famous for its abundant natural beauty, pleasant weather, and calm Naini Lake, Jim Corbett is mostly visited for jeep safaris, trekking, and mountain biking. You can enjoy family time while driving to these destinations. Indulge in various activities offered by these destinations for everlasting memories.
Things to do in Nainital with family:
- Enjoy boating in Naini Lake
- Shop for souvenirs at local bazaars
- View the sunrise from Tiffin Top
- For a bird’s eye view, try Nainital Ropeway
- Stroll through Mall road in Nainital
- Seek Blessings at Naina Devi temple
- Explore rich wildlife through jeep safaris
- Enjoy a picnic with family at Corbett Falls
- Experience the thrill with river rafting in Kosi
- Have fun at Devbhoomi Outdoor Adventure Zone
- Go for bird watching in Pangot
- Stay a night at Dhikala Forest House
Temperature: 14°C to 30°C (Nainital), 15°C to 40°C (Jim Corbett)
Weather: Summers are moderately hot while the nights hit you with cool breezes.
Also Read: Things To Do in Nainital
Ooty, Tamil Nadu
Scenic View of Nilgiri
Ooty welcomes you all with mesmerizing views, a soothing atmosphere, and a wide variety of sightseeing tours and activities. If you and your family members are planning a trip in May, then Ooty is a great choice. This destination in India is dotted with tea gardens, mystic waterfalls, and charming colonial architecture. Not just this, Ooty will allure you with breathtaking views of the Nilgiri mountains.
Things to do in Ooty with family:
- Take scenic shots at Nilgiri mountain toy train
- Cycle around Ooty Lake
- Take a stroll at Botanical Garden
- Enjoy a panoramic view at Doddabetta Peak
- Have a picnic time Kamaraj Sagar Dam
- Seek blessings at Elk Hill Lord Murugan Temple
- Visit Government Rose Garden
Temperature: 11°C to 22°C
Weather: The daytime is pleasantly cool and comfortable. You can make the most of your Ooty trip and catch all the popular sightseeing.
Read Also: Top Things to Do in Ooty
Picturesque Backdrop of Mountains
The ‘Queen of Hill Stations’, Mussoorie is quite a place to visit for a short trip with your family. The calm atmosphere will make you not go to crowded places. Despite being a tourist hot spot all year round, Mussoorie in May is a whole another experience. If you love waterfalls, you might find this place captivating. Mussoorie is one of the perfect places to visit in May in India as it hosts a lot of activities.
Things to do in Mussoorie with family:
- Have quality time with your family at Mussoorie Lake
- Witness the natural splendors, Kempty Falls and Mossy Falls
- Enjoy adrenaline rushing sports at Adventure Park
- Hop on a cable car ride to Gun Hill Point
- Trek to Lal Tibba
- Seek blessings at Kellogg Memorial Church
- Enjoy a scenic drive to Dhanaulti
- Shop at Mall road
Temperature: 13°C to 28°C
Weather: The warm and soothing weather allows you to enjoy the sightseeing tours and activities in Mussoorie.
Darjeeling, West Bengal
Admire the Untouched Beauty
Escape the hot and humid summer of India and visit one of the top places to visit in May. Darjeeling is a famous tourist spot in North-East India. It offers opportunities to delight in the splendid tea gardens, enjoys exciting toy train rides amidst lovely surroundings, and savor traditional Tibetan cuisine. Head to the ‘Queen of the Himalayas’ this summer and experience the spectacular panorama of the mighty Himalayas.
Things to do in Darjeeling with family:
- Take a ride on the Batasia Loop
- Find peace at the Japanese Temple
- Enjoy a walk in the Rock Garden
- Have a family picnic at Nightingale Park
- Spot leopards at Padmaja Naidu Zoological Park
- Take a tea trail at Happy Valley
- Witness scenic views on a cable car ride
- Experience river rafting at Teesta river
Temperature: 11°C to 19°C
Weather: The pleasant weather at Darjeeling provides the perfect ambiance to enjoy activities with family.
Spend time with your family at these escapades and get relief from the hot spells of summer. Now that you know the best places to visit in India In May, it is time to start planning, packing, and hitting the road.