The summer heat often motivates us to travel to destinations with greenery, cool winds, pleasant weather, and calm surroundings. May is one of the hottest months in India and a perfect time to plan a vacation with your family.
“A family that travels together stays together” and a holiday trip gives you the perfect opportunity to strengthen your family bond. Besides, it offers a respite from the scorching summer weather. So, get ready to experience the calm at hill stations, trek to the mountain tops, relish delicious food, enjoy adventure sports, and explore India’s wilderness.
From the mighty Himalayas in the north to breathtaking Nilgiris in the south, here is a list of the best places to visit in India in May with family.
Best Places to Visit in North India in May With Family & Kids
Manali, Himachal Pradesh
Enjoy Nature’s Bliss
Nestled between the mighty Dhauladhar mountains and Pir Panjal ranges, Manali has been a family favorite for ages. Its natural beauty and calm atmosphere will make your summer holiday even better. Manali can be visited throughout the year, but May is the time when this destination comes to its full glory. Ancient temples, scenic valleys, and popular attractions of Manali make it the perfect place for a summer holiday. If you are a family of adventure enthusiasts, then you can opt for paragliding, rafting, Zorbing, and mountaineering.
Things to do in Manali with family:
- Seek Blessings at Hadimba Temple and Manu Temple
- Shop until you drop at Manali Mall road
- Glide in the Air in Solang Valley
- Witness natural beauty at Old Manali
- Explore the majestic Gulaba Village
- Trek to Beas Kund
- Explore the Manali Sanctuary
- Visit the Naggar Village
- Go on an excursion to Jogini falls
Also Read: Top Things to do in Manali with family
Temperature: 25°C to 28°C
Weather: Manali’s weather is pleasant in May and provides relief from the blistering heat.
Perfect Weekend to Jim Corbett
A perfect duo for a road trip that can be planned easily from Delhi. A beautiful combination of beauty and wild, Nainital with Jim Corbett is great for families looking for a fun weekend getaway. While Nainital is famous for its abundant natural beauty, pleasant weather, and calm Naini Lake, Jim Corbett is mostly visited for jeep safaris, trekking, and mountain biking. You can enjoy family time while driving to these destinations. Indulge in various activities offered by these destinations for everlasting memories.
Things to do in Nainital with family:
- Enjoy boating in Naini Lake
- Shop for souvenirs at local bazaars
- View the sunrise from Tiffin Top
- For a bird’s eye view, try Nainital Ropeway
- Stroll through Mall road in Nainital
- Seek Blessings at Naina Devi temple
- Explore rich wildlife through jeep safaris
- Enjoy a picnic with family at Corbett Falls
- Experience the thrill with river rafting in Kosi
- Have fun at Devbhoomi Outdoor Adventure Zone
- Go for bird watching in Pangot
- Stay a night at Dhikala Forest House
Temperature: 14°C to 30°C (Nainital), 15°C to 40°C (Jim Corbett)
Weather: Summers are moderately hot while the nights hit you with cool breezes.
Also Read: Things To Do in Nainital in May With Family
Picturesque Backdrop of Mountains
The ‘Queen of Hill Stations’, Mussoorie is quite a place to visit for a short trip with your family. The calm atmosphere will make you not go to crowded places. Despite being a tourist hot spot all year round, Mussoorie in May is a whole another experience. If you love waterfalls, you might find this place captivating. Mussoorie is one of the perfect places to visit in May in India as it hosts a lot of activities.
Things to do in Mussoorie with family:
- Have quality time with your family at Mussoorie Lake
- Witness the natural splendors, Kempty Falls and Mossy Falls
- Enjoy adrenaline rushing sports at Adventure Park
- Hop on a cable car ride to Gun Hill Point
- Trek to Lal Tibba
- Seek blessings at Kellogg Memorial Church
- Enjoy a scenic drive to Dhanaulti
- Shop at Mall road
Temperature: 13°C to 28°C
Weather: The warm and soothing weather allows you to enjoy the sightseeing tours and activities in Mussoorie.
Feel the Spiritual Vibes
The holy city where River Ganges flows amidst the scenic surroundings, Rishikesh makes one of the best places to visit in Uttarakhand with family & kids. It is great to soothe the senses from summer heat. Blessed with the Garhwal Himalayas, this ‘yoganagari’ is a bustling tourist place in Uttarakhand. Take a family vacation in May and enjoy Rishikesh’s bountiful beauty, visit the magnificent temples, and indulge in thrilling fun sports.
Things to do in Rishikesh with family:
- Enjoy the thrill while river rafting.
- Camp on the banks of the holy river Ganga
- Be a part of Ganga aarti at Triveni Ghat
- Visit the Beatles Ashram
- Go for a relaxing ayurvedic massage
- Do yoga with a breathtaking view
- Stroll on the Lakshman Jhula early morning.
- Savour a traditional Garhwali meal
Temperature: 21°C to 36°C
Weather: To get relief from summer, visit Rishikesh in may as the weather is pleasantly nice and is ideal to dwell in sightseeing tours and fun-filled activities.
Also Read: 10 Best Adventure Activities in Rishikesh
Enjoy the Serene Surroundings
Artificial lakes, sacred temples, and trekking spots perfectly define the ambiance of Auli. If you are looking to spend time in peace, Auli is one of the best places to visit in May with family. Set on the slopes with far stretching meadows, the landscape of Auli looks stunning to the eyes. You can enjoy a conversation with your family members while sipping on a hot cup of tea and have that much needed quality time you don’t get in your chaotic routine life.
Things to do in Auli with family:
- Visit the Artificial Lake in Auli
- Enjoy the scenery of alpine meadows and majestic snow-capped mountains
- Witness abundant flora and fauna at Nanda Devi National Park
- Treat your eyes with Himalayas views while on a ropeway ride
- Camp amidst the beautiful landscape
- Sightseeing in Joshimath
- Spend quality time at Chenab Lake.
- Shop for souvenirs, shawls at Joshimath market
Temperature: 7°C to 18°C
Weather: The weather in Auli in May is moderately cold and allows you to explore the tourist attractions and indulge in various recreational pursuits.
- 8 Best Places to Visit Near Delhi in May with Family 2021
- 10 Best Places to Go For Camping Near Delhi with Family in May
Best Places to visit in South India in May with Family
Ooty, Tamil Nadu
Scenic View of Nilgiri
Ooty welcomes you all with mesmerizing views, a soothing atmosphere, and a wide variety of sightseeing tours and activities. If you and your family members are planning a trip in May, then Ooty is a great choice. This destination in India is dotted with tea gardens, mystic waterfalls, and charming colonial architecture. Not just this, Ooty will allure you with breathtaking views of the Nilgiri mountains.
Things to do in Ooty with family:
- Take scenic shots at Nilgiri mountain toy train
- Cycle around Ooty Lake
- Take a stroll at Botanical Garden
- Enjoy a panoramic view at Doddabetta Peak
- Have a picnic time Kamaraj Sagar Dam
- Seek blessings at Elk Hill Lord Murugan Temple
- Visit Government Rose Garden
Temperature: 11°C to 22°C
Weather: The daytime is pleasantly cool and comfortable. You can make the most of your Ooty trip and catch all the popular sightseeing.
Read Also: Top Things to Do in Ooty
Sprawling Coffee Plantations
Endowed with luxuriant coffee estates, scenic waterfalls, and hypnotic natural beauty, Coorg is a wonderful destination in the South Indian state of Karnataka. The soothing landscapes and pleasant weather of Coorg is one of the best places to visit in May with family that will make your summer blues go away. From towering peaks to adventurous hiking trails, Coorg is the perfect place for families looking for some added adventure.
Things to do in Coorg with family:
- Witness Tibetan art and architecture at Namdroling Monastery
- Plan a day out at Abbey Falls
- Take your kids to Dubare Elephant Camp
- Soak in the beauty of Talacauvery
- Catch the mesmerizing sunset at Raja’s Seat
- Indulge in white water rafting for a thrilling experience
- Spot the wild at Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary
- See the weaponry at Madikeri Fort.
- Savour authentic Kodava food.
- Enjoy a boat ride at Cauvery Nisargadhama.
- Offer prayers at Omkareshwara Temple.
- Go on plantation walks.
Temperature: 20°C to 27°C
Weather: May is the perfect month for a family holiday in Coorg. Snuggled by the Western Ghats, Coorg boasts pleasant weather in May and lets you enjoy all the activities and sightseeing comfortably.
Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu
Witness Mist-Covered Cliffs
Anther gorgeous place in South India on this list is the ‘Princess of Hills’, Kodaikanal. Majorly famous among honeymooners, Kodaikanal is an excellent place to visit in May for families too. The town’s pleasant weather, misty atmosphere, and abundant greenery come together to create the perfect setting to bind you together. Moreover, tourist attractions like the star-shaped Kodaikanal Lake is another reason to visit Kodaikanal in May.
Things to do in Kodaikanal with family:
- Stroll on the Coaker’s Walk
- Enjoy boating in Kodaikanal Lake
- Have a picnic at Bryant Park
- Walk around in the Kodaikanal pine forest
- Trek to Dolphin’s Nose and Echo Point to enjoy the panorama
- Drive to Berijam Lake, a freshwater reservoir
- Pay a visit to Kurinji Andavar Temple
- Go on a biking tour in Kodaikanal
- Enjoy a night safari
Temperature: 18°C to 27°C
Weather: The weather in Kodaikanal in May is soothing and is perfect for families to enjoy sightseeing, boating, trekking, cycling, and other outdoor activities.
Best Places to Visit in Northeast India in May with Family
Darjeeling, West Bengal
Admire the Untouched Beauty
Escape the hot and humid summer of India and visit one of the top places to visit in May. Darjeeling is a famous tourist spot in North-East India. It offers opportunities to delight in the splendid tea gardens, enjoys exciting toy train rides amidst lovely surroundings, and savor traditional Tibetan cuisine. Head to the ‘Queen of the Himalayas’ this summer and experience the spectacular panorama of the mighty Himalayas.
Things to do in Darjeeling with family:
- Take a ride on the Batasia Loop
- Find peace at the Japanese Temple
- Enjoy a walk in the Rock Garden
- Have a family picnic at Nightingale Park
- Spot leopards at Padmaja Naidu Zoological Park
- Take a tea trail at Happy Valley
- Witness scenic views on a cable car ride
- Experience river rafting at Teesta river
Temperature: 11°C to 19°C
Weather: The pleasant weather at Darjeeling provides the perfect ambiance to enjoy activities with family.
- Top 20 Things to Do in Darjeeling in May with family
- Family Holiday Destinations in North East India in May
Calm and Clear Atmosphere
Gangtok, one of the famous places to visit in Sikkim with family is blessed with solitary monasteries, snow-clad mountains, and sprawling forests. Also, the pleasant weather is perfect to get relief from summer heat and indulge in the fun activities offered at this destination in May with loved ones. Apart from the amazing sightseeing tours, you can learn the local culture, visit the gorgeous waterfalls, and raft in the wild rapids of Teesta river.
Things to do in Gangtok with family:
- Explore Gangtok on a cycle
- Plan an outing at Seven Sisters Waterfalls
- Visit the Namgyal Institute of Tibetology
- Enjoy the scenic views across Nathu La Pass
- Take a Yak Safari to the beautiful Tsomgo Lake
- Enjoy the sunset from Tashi View Point
- Stroll around Temi Tea Garden
- Visit Hanuman Tok
- Spend a day at the Himalayan Zoological Park
- Go shopping and dine-in at MG Marg
Temperature: 15°C to 22°C
Weather: With low temperatures, the weather of Gangtok in May remains pleasant. It is the perfect time to enjoy the outdoors and witness the breathtaking beauty of the town.
Spend time with your family at these escapades and get relief from the hot spells of summer. Now that you know the best places to visit in India In May, it is time to start planning, packing, and hitting the road. Or if you wish to plan a vacation outside India, here are the best places to visit in May outside India.