Tea at Kolukkumalai has a lovely aroma, special flavour, and freshness owing to its high altitude. Kolukkumalai Tea Estate is one of the best tourist attractions in Munnar that you should not miss out on your Munnar sightseeing tour. If you are a tea lover, visit Kolukkumalai Tea Estate for a cup of special flavour tea, which is grown and produced here.
Located at a height of 7900 feet above sea level, Kolukkumalai Tea Estate is the highest in the world and is definitely worth visiting. It is known for growing flavoursome teas, which sends the tourist into a state of bliss with its rich taste and freshness. Not only for tea but the tea estate is also visited by a large number of tourists for its panoramic vistas. The lush green rolling hills are truly a treat to the eyes.
This tea estate houses an old tea factory, built back in the 20th country, which uses traditional methods to produce tea. The method used in the production of tea comprises a seven-step process, including withering, rolling, sieving, fermenting, drying, fibre extraction, and grading. On your visit, you can try different varieties of tea available at the factory outlet nearby the old factory.
- Visiting Hours: 7 am to 6 pm, open all days except Sunday
Entry Charges: INR 75 for adults
Things to do at Kolukkumalai Tea Estate:
- Witness the breathtaking views of lush green landscapes.
- Enjoy a jeep ride to reach the tea estate.
- Take a stroll on the pathways in the plantation.
- Watch the mesmerizing sunset.
- Sip on different varieties of aromatic tea.
Best time to visit: October to March
- Distance from Cochin International Airport: 109 km (approx.)
- Distance from Cochin Harbour Terminus: 129 km (approx.)
Here are some of the places to visit near Kolukkumalai Tea Estate –
- Munnar View Point
- Kundala Dam Lake
- Pothamedu View Point
- Chinnakanal Waterfalls
- Pampadum Shola National Park
- Munnar Heritage Museum
- Attukad waterfalls
Things to know before visiting Kolukkumalai Tea Estate:
- Avoid visiting Kolukkumalai Tea Estate during monsoon i.e from July to September.
- From November to February, Munnar experiences cold weather. Therefore, it is advised to carry woollen clothes.
- Wear a pair of shoes that have a strong grip. It will help you walk around the tea estate comfortably.
- Carry your camera to get some amazing pictures.