Adventure Sport in India nowadays is one of the fastest growing segments in travel and leisure. Of many reasons why adventure sports are gaining popularity is the simple fact that they are fun and exciting activities that offer thrilling experiences, build confidence and agility and above all they can take you to some of the world's most beautiful places. And that's why adventure sports in Sikkim beckons the adrenaline junkies from all over the world.
Lying in the lap of the mighty Himalayas, Sikkim has been blessed with an amazing landscape, ideal for all kinds of adventures sports activities. Sikkim is home to more than 20 mountain peaks, numerous glaciers, over 200 high-altitude lakes and 2 rivers and over a hundred tributaries. Nestled in Himalayas and endowed with extreme natural beauty Sikkim presents ample challenges to quench the thirst of avid travellers and adventurers.
For lovers of mountains, there are numerous trekking trails where they could go footloose in Himalayas. Some of the most sought after trekking trails in Sikkim include Goecha La Trek, Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek, Dzongri Trek and the Green Lake trek.
Of various adventure sports activities in Sikkim, mountain biking offers an Eco-friendly alternative to explore this state. other notable adventure sports in Sikkim that you should give a try to include Paragliding or Hang Gliding which offers a bird's eye view of the lush landscapes down below, bungee jumping for adrenaline rushing experience as you embrace the gravity and last but not the least white water rafting in the rapids of Teesta and Rangeet rivers. Rapids ranging from Grade II to IV offers adrenaline rushing adventure and thrilling experiences to cherish for a lifetime.
We bring you some of the 12 popular adventure sports in Sikkim that will blow your mind. Just have a look!
|Adventure Activity in Sikkim||Where to Enjoy||Best Time To Go|
|Yak Ride||Tsomgo Lake||March to May|
|Paragliding||Tashi View Point, Pangthang, Bojoghari village||September to November|
|Trekking||Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek, Sikkim Dzongri Trek, Goecha La trek, Tholung Trek, Versay Trek||June to September|
|Ropeway Cable Ride||Deorali, Tashiling or Namnang||September to June|
|Rafting||Sutlej River in Shimla, Beas river in Kullu, Ravi River in Chamba||April to June|
|Mountaineering||Frey Peak, Mt. Tenchenkhang, Lama Wangden, Mt. Jopuno||March to May and September to November|
|Hang Gliding||Jorethang||May to June|
|Caving||Lha-ri-nying phu, Kah-do-sang phu||March to June|
Yumthang Valley, 25 km from Lachung (approx.)
|Bungee Jumping||Singshore Bridge||Throughout the year - except monsoon|
|Gangtok and Kanchenjunga||May-June and September-October|
|Darap Village||March to June|
1. Trekking - Explore the Unspoiled Wilderness
With outstanding trekking trails in the country, Gangtok is amongst the best ones. Situated amidst the Himalayan ranges, it is an ideal opening for several trekking trails. Hit these natural trails to know your ability and aptitude. The trek offers an amazing visual treat and levels up your confidence. Enjoy the jaw-dropping views of mighty peaks, lush valleys, hypnotizing streams, and many more. The purity in breeze and quietness in the wilderness calm your senses and refresh your mind.
- Best Treks: Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek, Sikkim Dzongri Trek, Goecha La trek, Tholung Trek, Versay Trek
- Best time: March to May
- Safety Tips: Always stay hydrated and carry all essentials with you such as backpacks, trekking poles, cap, sun cream, and sunglasses.
2. Ropeway Cable Ride - Levitating Thrill
The cable car rides at Sikkim will be something you won’t skip. The ride will take you higher as you enjoy the best views of the city, river, snow-capped mountains, and valleys. The double-cable zig back ropeway has been attracting visitors since December 2003. The ropeway ride has three terminal stations and you can choose any of them to start the ride in three different places in Sikkim.
- Best Cable Ride Spots: Deorali, Tashiling or Namnang
- Best time: September to June
- Safety Tips: Do not panic. Follow the instructions of the cabin guide and official staff.
3. River Rafting - Feel the Adrenaline Rush
Let the thrill and adrenaline rush take over you on the roaring river rapids. If you are an adventure freak, do not miss out on these amazing water sports. Learn the techniques of rafting with experts. The challenging stream of the river on which you raft wearing rescue bags, flipping paddles is an experience to cherish.
- Best River Rafting Spots: Rangit River, Teesta River
- Best time: March to May
- Safety Tips: Attentively listen to experts and always wear a life jacket.
4. Mountaineering - Measure Your Stamina
Mountaineering is one of the most thrilling adventures in Sikkim. It is one of the great ways to check and build stamina both mentally and physically. Apart from physical strength, mountain climbing requires alertness, aptitude, and excellent insight. Hard training is required to enjoy this blood-pumping activity.
- Best Mountaineering Spots: Frey Peak, Mt. Tenchenkhang, Lama Wangden, Mt. Jopuno
- Best time: March to May and September to November
- Safety Tips: Go rock climbing in the presence of an expert or after training. Make sure your backpack fits snugly and has padded straps and a waist belt. Keep hydrating yourself.
5. Paragliding - Race in the Sky
Nothing can beat flying high in the air and enjoying the aerial view from above as you do while paragliding. A paraglider has a cushioned seat attached to a wing-type cloth. It is woven around the helping frame in such a way that the space between the two layers of fabrics is inflated naturally. The support comes with brakes and acceleration control levers to allow easy steering of the flight. Once the paraglider is launched into the air, you can experience the excitement of flying.
- Best Paragliding Spots: Tashi View Point, Pangthang, Bojoghari village
- Best time: September to November
- Safety Tip: Carefully listen to the expert’s instructions. Always maintain a good relationship with experienced paragliders.
6. Yak Safari - Go Wild for a While
Yaks are found in high altitude areas and Sikkim is one of the regions where you can enjoy special yak safari. Sitting on a yak, which is ornamented with colorful cloth. Riding a yak on the steep slopes to the Tsomgo Lake is an amazing experience. Enjoy the mesmerizing landscape view and click photographs during the ride. Yak Safari is truly different from riding a horse or elephant. It is an unforgettable experience that is organized in several parts of Sikkim.
- Best Yak Safari Spot: Tsomgo Lake
- Best time: March to May
- Safety Tip: Wear a helmet during the ride.
7. Hang Gliding - Fly like an Eagle
Hang gliding is one of the most exciting air adventures. In this activity, the pilot flies a light, non-motorized foot-launched hang glider. Hang gliding is made of an aluminum alloy or composite frame covered with synthetic sailcloth to form a wing. The sport is not for the first-timers. It requires good practice to glide freely in the air.
- Best Hang Gliding Spot: Jorethang
- Best time: May to June
- Safety Tip: It is good to take the service from a certified and qualified hand gliding agency.
8. Caving - Make Your Way
Caving is one of the most interesting and challenging adventure activities. It is also called cave exploring. Exploring the hidden world inside caves offers an ultimate experience. Sikkim boasts about several holy caves, which you can explore and even pay homage to the deities inside. The activity is good for brave hearts who love adventure at every step as life inside the cave is different from the outer world.
- Best Caving Spot: Lha-ri-nying phu, Kah-do-sang phu
- Best time: March to June
- Safety Tips: Wear a good pair of boots and carry all the essential items such as torch, stick, and padding. Explore the cave in a group.
Sikkim has many things to experience. If you are looking for thrill and adventure in a peaceful atmosphere then it is one of the best places to visit. Enjoy a visual treat with Yak safari and cable car rides or simply experience the most exciting adventures. So, are you all set to experience these blood-pumping adventure sports in Sikkim?