Gurudongmar Lake in Sikkim is settled at an altitude of 17,100 ft (5,210 m). Hence, this lake is counted as one of the highest lakes in the world. It is placed near the India-China border. The beautiful lake remains milky in color throughout the year. Earlier, the lake remained frozen, and there was no water source in the place.
It is believed that once Guru Padmasambhava, who brought Tantric Buddhism to Tibet, passed through this region. On his arrival, people asked him to provide them with a water source. When he touched some parts of the lake, the snow melted. Since then, the lake's water has been considered sacred, and people from different parts of the world come here to carry the blessed water. Tourists need to get a special entry permit to visit Gurudongmar Lake.
Here are the details you should know about Gurudongmar Lake Sikkim
Best time to visit Gurudongmar Lake
March to June is the best time to visit Gurudongmar Lake. During this time, the weather here is pleasant, and you can see clear views of blue sky and lush greenery around. Also, the temperature at Gurudongmar Lake Sikkim from March to June remains between - 5°C and 5°C. For more details regarding this lake, you can contact our tour experts. You can also book your Sikkim tour packages to cover more beautiful attractions along this lake.
How to reach Gurudongmar Lake
Gurudongmar Lake is located around 174 km from Gangtok in Sikkim and takes approx. 4 to 5 hours to reach. Private vehicles, shared taxis, jeeps, etc., are available from Gangtok to Lachen. Buses are also available frequently from nearby cities.
Once you reach Lachen, stay the night at Lachen and the next day, drive further 3 to 4 hours to finally reach Gurudongmar Lake via Chopta Valley. Plus, the drive through the mountain roads is mesmerizing.
Tip: Before visiting the lake, get the Inner Line Permit. It is a sensitive area and is located near the Indo-China border.
Do's and Don'ts at Gurudongmar Lake
- Refer to a doctor before visiting the lake if you have any breathtaking difficulties.
- Bring heavy woolens during winters. Ensure to cover your ears and mouth.
- Gurudongmar Lake is located at 15,000 feet from the sea level, and thus, the oxygen level decreases. You must stroll and try not to jump.
- If you feel even slightly uneasy, reach out to a paramedic immediately.
- Motion sickness is common here. Keep the necessary medicines handy.
- Do not take children below 5 years of age. They are not allowed by the army. Gurudongmar Lake in Sikkim is considered a sacred lake. So, be a responsible citizen and not litter in and around the lake.