Located on the way of Kalka and Shimla, Solan has emerged to be a lovely place for excursion from any part of the state of Himachal Pradesh. The stunning landscape of Solan bordered by Chandigarh, Shimla, and Kalka is famous among tourists as the "Mushroom City of India". Acres of mushroom plantations at an elevation of 1,342 meters are a delight to the eyes. Its proximity with Shimla is another reason why many plan their tour to Solan.
Solan is an ideal tourism destination during all seasons. The district of Solan in Himachal is also home to a number of rivers such as the Yamuna, Ghagar, and Satluj. Prime attraction in Solan apart from the mushroom plantations includes the Shoolini Devi Temple. Several pilgrims from Chamba and Shimla travel to Solan to offer prayers at this temple. Tour to Solan would also include visiting other nearby places like Chail, Churdhar Peak, Dagshai, and Kandaghat. Apart from sightseeing, the abundance of hills in the region facilitates trekking to Shimla and rock climbing.
How to reach Solan
The capital city of Shimla is a 50 km drive to Solan. By air, Shimla and Chandigarh are the nearest airports. Shimla airport is 19 km from Solan and Chandigarh 44km. By train, Kalka Railway Station is a 44 km drive. Government buses ply from Chandigarh, Shimla, and Delhi. There are also other private Volvos available for day journey
Tour to Solan includes visiting its top attractions:
- Shooloni Devi Temple- Mata Shoolini Devi Temple in Solan is among the prominent attractions of this district. Crowds of tourists come to this temple every year to offer prayers. However, many vacationers plan their trip here during the Solan Fair in the month of June.
- Ghurka Fort - Commissioned by the Ghurka rulers in the state, this 300-year old fort is presently a popular tourist destination. From atop the fort, you get amazing views of the surrounding region.
Places around Solan
- Bon Monastery- Located around 12 km from Solan, this monastery is acclaimed as the second oldest of its kind in the world.
- Barog- A stunning locale situated 8 km from Solan, Barog gives panoramic view of the Churdhar Peak in Himachal. This is one of the prominent honeymoon spots as well.
- Karol Tibba and Meteol Tibba- According to legend, Karol Tibba is where the Pandavas resided. Presently, it is a well laid out trekking route surrounded by picnic spots