The fortified city of Junagadh located at the foothills of Mount Girnar is one of the major tourist attractions of Gujarat. Junagadh, though it has been a witness to political turmoil in the yesteryears, is today developing as a hub of industry and tourism. It had been the seat of the Mauryan Empire and the Gupta dynasty and later on passed on to the Chudasama Rajputs, who ruled here from the 9th to the 15th century, until in the Middle ages the Muslim rulers took over. This city also acts as a base for those interested in traveling further in Gujarat. Excursions from Junagadh, to the various nearby places in Gujarat will give you an overall picture of the essence of the place. Check out the many wildlife sanctuaries, temple towns and heritage buildings of this multi faceted state. If you are thinking of Excursions from Junagadh, then a Tour to Porbandar is worth considering.
A good network of road connects Junagadh to Porbandar, which lies at a distance of 113 kilometers from Junagadh. There are daily buses plying in and out of the two cities. You can also rent a car or hire a taxi to reach Porbandar. The city also has an airport, which makes access easier.
References of the city of Porbandar can be found even as early as the 10th century. Some say that the city was discovered on Rakshabandhan day. Some of the important Tourist attractions in Porbandar, which you should not miss out, while you are on a Tour to Porbandar are:
- Kirti Mandir: This is the birthplace of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Bharat Mandir is a perfect place to check out the cultural heritage of India which reflects in its pictures, sculptures, paintings and religion.
- Tara Mandir or the planetarium gives you a special screening of the heavenly bodies and the cosmic center on the whole.
- Sudama Mandir located at the heart of the city is dedicated to Krishna and Sudama, on whose legendary friendship much has been written.
- Chowpatty beach which is a major tourist attraction.
- The Satyanarayan Temple is also definitely worth a visit.
A Tour to Porbandar is incomplete without a shopping spree in the city. Check out the various handicrafts and jewelry that the skilled craftsmen of the city produce. Take a leisurely stroll through the market place. Porbandar is also famous for its bead and mirror work, tie and die products, silk embroidery and appliqué work, which you could pick up in plenty on your Porbandar Tour.